General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Boeing vs Airbus

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Rocking M
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boeing vs Airbus

Which do you prefer to be a passenger on?

Do you think Airbus is unfairly subsidized by the Europeans or do you agree with the Europeans who say Boeing is unfairly subsidized by the US Government because of its military projects?

Will the 787 put Boeing back on top as the larger commercial airline manufacturer?

Old 06-11-2005, 04:43 PM
f150-az
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's why I prefer to drive. No politics involved in that (at least not yet anyway).

Old 06-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I think they both make great aircraft.

I just wish the airlines would get spacier seat plans like they said they would.

If planes were running at 70% why can't be made more comfortable.

I flew a red eye to TO once , There were 11 of us on the 767.
We could have all been placed in First class ..but.....no.... we would rather have you uncomfortable in a seat designed for someone who has a 24" waist weighs 120 lbs.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:23 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Amen Dennis. I'll drive instead of fly whenever that's even a remotely reasonable proposition. That means I pretty much have to change Continents before I get on a plane- I have a broad definition of "remotely reasonable."

Old 06-11-2005, 11:06 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Airbus sells well because they deeply discount sales to US airlines, in an attempt to gain marketshare. The strategy worked, you now see tons of 'em. But they get such a low price because you bid the price of the aircraft only...you want maintenance manuals to go with that??? Well, we can offer these for x,xxx,xxx euros. Same with spare parts...gotta buy from 'Bus (there's a large "aftermarket" segment for Boeing, the so called PMA-approved manufacturers).

Airbus also sells nice passenger amenities, like little LCD TV's in every seatback. Boeing is still flying with drop-down CRT's in the aisle (every one has a different color contrast, if it works at all).

But Boeing sells a far better airframe. I highly doubt you'll see an A300 still flying in 30 years like Boeing has their 707, 727, and 737. Boeing structures, hydraulics, flight controls, and wiring are, IMHO, far superior to Airbus. Bus uses a lot of 24 and 26 gauge wiring to keep down the weight...I've already seen wiring failures in a 6-year old A300. The airframe skins are probably 60% as thick as a Boeing...how many pressurization/depressurization cycles can we expect? Plus, Airbus is designed by committee...too many players (nations) in the act....and it sure shows when trying to maintain these things.

As far as gov't subsidies, it's clear that Airbus, as a strictly commercial aircraft manufacturer, has benefited from the consortium government's contributions. Boeing has not had that luxury when designing a commercial aircraft. While it's true that Boeing enjoys a good share of military contracts (across the board in aerospace, not just aircraft), these programs are awarded by competitive bid...so untold profits are not realistic nor expected.

It's interesting that these two players see the future of aviation on divergent paths; Airbus will cram a small town's population in their monstrous A380, while Boeing believes efficiency (in purchase and operation) is what the airlines want.

It's also interesting, as mentioned in another thread, that Airbus has 9 states competing for the right to host the first US-based Airbus manufacturing facility, in order to bid on the upcoming US Air Force refueler contract. With a US plant, they can claim it's in our interest to buy their modified A330 for the next generation refueler. But for the shortcomings I've mentioned above, I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't like the A330.
I flew in that bucket of bolts sardine can for 9 1/2 hours.

I have always been a Fan of Boeing .
My first flight in a jet aircraft I was spoiled in the 707.

Don you forgot to mention the 747 which has been around over 300 years itself & proves itself every flight

I have now flown in the 707,727,737,747,757,767 & am anxiously waiting to get in the 777 after watching the 10 hour special on KSPS.

I Just love Thrust

Old 06-11-2005, 11:29 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't there just 2 airports that can currently handle the size of the A380 airbus? One of them is SFO and the other one somewhere on the east coast.

I also heard that Airbus spent billion of dollars and may not re-coup their investments. Now that's just what I heard on the news awhile back.

Last time I flew was on a McDonnell Douglas DC-7. That was in 1964.

I'll stick to the road.

Althought it would be cool to check out that A380.

Last edited by sierraben; 06-11-2005 at 11:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2005, 12:21 AM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Actually, there's about 9 airports in the US gearing up for the A380. One is the land of Elvis (Memphis, TN), where FedEx will be flying the freighter version. UPS also has orders, so Louisville will have their skies darkened too!

And you're right Dennis, I forgot to mention the '47, one of the most beautiful airplanes around. My bad!!

But look at how many commercial manufacturers are no longer around...Martin, Fairchild, Convair, Lockheed, Douglas....I just don't want Boeing to join the others in extinction! But the bottom line rules...if the Air Force chooses the Bus, and the Jet Blues of the country countinue to buy nothing but A320's, the future won't be bright for Boeing.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I prefer Beechcraft and Cessna

If I have a choice, I'll take the Boeing... one of the strongest American Corporations around.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:46 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Ah a subject I can talk to being as I work for the good guys.

I have yet to fly on a Airbus plane. My cousin though is a pilot for Jetblue and he likes it. They make a good plane but then again they really never have to bring in a plane for a given cost. With the aid they get in risk free government loans unless the airplane makes a profit they never have to pay back the loan. This is something that Boeing has never had the luxery to do. Add the fact that many Airbus countries have national health care they don't have to worry about health cost.

But even with all that we have been able to compete. I believe it is because we build a superior product. 75% of every commercial flight is on a Boeing airplane. We are able to provide any part need for our planes within 24hrs anywhere in the world. This does not mean though we still can't improve. The 787 is an example of this, the first composite commercial airframe. This is going to provide such a competitive advantage that Airbus is going to have to respond and just putting the engines on an existing plane will not do it.

Concerning inseat video, this is a customer requested item and we do this also. In fact the whole interior is configured based on customer requirements. Anything from 747's commuter planes configured for Japan that carry 600 passenger in a single class to custom jobs like AirForce One or the Saudia Royal Famliy plane. If you have the money we will build it.

Even though I am very proud of the Airplanes I have had a hand in designing, 747-400, Airforce One, 777 767-400 and now the 787 I still prefer to drive. Its a control thing.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Rocking M
Senior User
I'm rather impressed with the discussion this thread has created. Coming from the airline industry, the ultimate airplane/best flying airplane around is the Boeing. Personally, I think the sexiest airplane in the skies is the B757. It's unfortunate they stopped production. I'd fly that over any aircraft out there. My EMB145 just doesn't match up.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:08 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I've flown on Boeing 727, 737 and the 'new' 717. . . I have also flown on the Airbus A320. The Airbus was the fastest passenger plane.
Minneapolis/St. Pete to BWI. That pilot said that we were doing 457 mph. I dunno. It felt like 754!!!!

The Boeing planes are just 'classy' in my opinion.
I'd LOVE to fly in a 707!!! Absolutely the most beautiful airliner ever flown.
Clean lines.

I've also flown the DC-9 and the MD-80. I'm not too particularly fond of either.
Too much noise.

My 2¢.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Jens
Elder User
I prefer Boeing!

I love to fly with the biggest one, the 747.
I also like the 777 ans some other models made by boeing.
My first flight in a jet powered aircraft I was in the 727.

Airbus.....hm I also like some of them but not the A380.

What about the Antonow 225, there were some plans to modify that plane to a airliner for up to 1500 people....

Jens

Old 06-12-2005, 09:54 AM
whowey
Senior User
Originally Posted by f150-az
That's why I prefer to drive. No politics involved in that (at least not yet anyway).

Wow, how many ways is that competely incorrect??????

I also prefer to drive, but unfortunately the job doesn't like a 3 day travel between IL, and CA.

I logged about 50k airline miles last year. And Boeing seems to be cranking out the same crap they had 15 years ago. Airbus, just seems to come out with Boeing clones.

BTW, Boeing? a 717? Jazzing up a DC-9?, hey the plane sucked when MD made it, you can't make a turd any better.

Give me a nice CRJ anyday. Sure the seats are a little smaller, but only putting up with 50 or 70 people rather than 150 or 250. Not to mention an air conditioner/filter system that actually works.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Rocking M
Senior User
I don't think the 717 should count as a Boeing. However, that is the ultimate DC9. From other pilots I talk to, they loved flying the 717. It was designed for the short hops. Lots of power to get up high and then come down right away. If you look at it from the front, it looks like Mickey Mouse because of the large turbofans. It's too bad the RJs put that thing out of production. Just more mainline jobs lost to the regionals.

Quick Reply: Boeing vs Airbus