General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Boeing vs Airbus

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Rocking M
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once heard the Boeing vs Airbus arguement go along these lines.

The Boeing is built with the pilot in mind.

The Airbus is built with the computer in mind.

What about the rudder that came off the AA Airbus?

Old 06-12-2005, 12:12 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the scary thing about composites...there's no real good way for NDT (non-destructive testing) methods to reveal defects under the various layers. Tap tests only reveal voids near the surface. That's my big concern with the 787.

I heard Airbus will modify the cockpit to install a "TAIL OFF" light...Sorry, bad joke.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned other aircraft I have flown in to equate my experience.

Vanguard
Viscount
DC-3 (Won a flight on one)
DC-8
DC-9
DC-10
MD-80
A319
A320
A330

DeHavilland (Canadian Made)
Cessna
Lear-Jet

The Boeing 747 by all accounts IMHO is the Best,Safest,Most Interesting Commerical aircraft of all time.
I was even lucky enough to visit the cockpit in mid-flight.

This is a from a guy who has had many dreams about having to fly & land numerous planes in all sorts of scenarios with success because the flight crew had got sick or died.

I learned on the MS Flight Simulator Program.

I crashed the first 2 but since then, I land them safely

Old 06-12-2005, 01:32 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I worked for Boeing for nearly 10 years (about seven of them on the 747), my choice is pretty obvious. There is, IMO, far better engineering in a Boeing than an AirBick, as evidenced by walking around and closely inspecting the two when on the ground undergoing C or D checks. I also received this feedback, in a general and overall sense, from mechanics/other engineers that have worked on both of them at aircraft mod centers I've visited and dealt with on the phone. I've also noticed that the Boeings are quieter than AirBicks inside; kinda nice. As for the space on airplanes not being enough, first class offers larger seats. Folding the armrest up in the hopefully empty adjacent seat will also increase seat space. The other trick is to get a bulkhead or an OWX seat as they have more legroom. My 5'-9", 155 lb frame fits in the normal seats just fine .

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 06-12-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
6'0 and 225 doesn't fit quite right, but I can sit relatively comfortably - I'd feel sorry for anybody who is flying that is larger then me though.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:27 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Minneapolis/St. Pete to BWI. That pilot said that we were doing 457 mph. I dunno. It felt like 754!!!!

To correct myself. . . .

This shoulda read Minneapolis/St. Paul, NOT St. Pete. I went outside and got into the truck and knew that I had a typo.

I wish I was at St. Pete Beach!!!

Old 06-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Boeing.

The Airbus 380 is an impressive achievment but it's true test will be longevity and I don't think it can deliver on that the way Boeing has.

On of the most awesome tests I've ever seen was the brake test for the 777. I'd like to see the same test for the Airbus.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:24 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whowey

BTW, Boeing? a 717? Jazzing up a DC-9?, hey the plane sucked when MD made it, you can't make a turd any better.

Give me a nice CRJ anyday. Sure the seats are a little smaller, but only putting up with 50 or 70 people rather than 150 or 250. Not to mention an air conditioner/filter system that actually works.
I resemble that remark, here in Long Beach within sight of the "Fly DC Jets" neon sign on top of the 717 assembly building. It is sad watching the old Douglas Long Beach plant being torn down. I do not work for the Commercial Airplanes side, but arrived here due to a couple of mergers (Rockwell originally). Still, I always liked the Douglas airliners, from the DC-3 on up. Having ridden on DC-9/MD-8X/717s on Alitalia, Continental, Delta, TWA and Hawaiian, they are a little loud in the back few rows, but the seats are wider and the plane performs better (better rate of climb, etc.) than the workhorse 737, not to mention that the airplane simply looks better.

Given a choice, smaller is usually better, Cessna for me whenever I can.

If you dont like the Douglas environmental control system, you never experienced the Lockheed L-1011.

Jim

Last edited by jimandmandy; 06-13-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:14 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
The airbus 380 weighed in at an impressive over 30 thousand
pounds over design weight woohoo how impressive is that piece
of junk, so now there trying to cut the weight to meet design so
doesnt it make you wonder whats happening to the structual
integrity of that junk, they also have to pay out 10s of million of
dollars to the customers due to it not being delivered for over 6
months late. And would you want to wait hours to get your baggage along with 549 other passengers trying to get theres to
wow something i wanna do. I could go on how there over 4 billion
$$ over budget and how they wont have to pay those unfair
subsidies back jeees what a crock, it must be nice to scrounder
money from the european gov and its citizens.Its an unfair advantage to boeing with what there doing its about time airbus
stands on there own landing gear, instead of taking handouts.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:20 PM
mikebon08
Posting Guru

I've heard that at least part of the reason for Airbus is to keep up employment--even if they lose money, it's still cheaper than paying unemployment benefits to that many people. And it's hard to say...they might actually make money.

I don't think Airbus' engineers are going to cut structural integrity. They'll trim out some other stuff, but no engineer wants his name to be tied to a major disaster.

Yeah...I'd really love to stand in line waiting for it too. Just wait 'til they say the heck with comfort and just stuff it full of seats. If I remember right, in "cattle-car" form it can carry around 800 people.

Last edited by mikebon08; 06-13-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:34 PM
bigblu250
Senior User
Well I have flown MANY times and can tell y'all that I don't plan on flying in that French piece of crap unless I have to....'nuff said!

Old 06-13-2005, 02:32 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Part of the initial sales pitch 'Bus made was that the 380 would be so big, it would have a lounge, spa, duty-free shop...all these asinine ideas that would add weight, require extra fuel to lug around, and probably never return any profit.

The A380 will make a good freighter, but you won't see me in a pax version!

Old 06-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
In 2000 I went to England, the airline Canada 3000 had an A330 & an A340 in which they had a luggage weight maxed out at 22 lbs (11kg) & carry on at 2,2 lbs (1kg) per passenger.
anything above that is charged at $5.00 / kg

On board this plane they had a complete souvenir store,plus all sorts of Liquor & Liqueur could be bought.

I frankly told the flight crew that they should consider the passengers needs rather then run an in-flight store.
This way, passengers could bring their real luggage

A few agreed we me as it was a real pain handling the merchandise.

Last edited by Mil1ion; 06-13-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
I think they both make great aircraft.

I just wish the airlines would get spacier seat plans like they said they would.

If planes were running at 70% why can't be made more comfortable.

I flew a red eye to TO once , There were 11 of us on the 767.
We could have all been placed in First class ..but.....no.... we would rather have you uncomfortable in a seat designed for someone who has a 24" waist weighs 120 lbs.
I totally agree.

I prefer the one that I do not feel like I am putting on.

I was on an A-319 and when they flushed the toliet I thought the thing was going to blow-up

I love the ideads of the A-380 with showers and duty free shops. I would love to see the loadmaster thrying to figure the center of mass with a fluid material and all the wated space.

Last edited by Aztrainer; 06-13-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:39 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the boeing 747, flew to japn and back a few years ago, the smaller connecting flights were airbus and even though they were smaller planes, they just didnt seem as well put together, rattled alot. id like to fly in a old military 4-engine prop drive, like the B-29 (i think thats what its called) seen one at a airshow at the small local airport, heck id like to be behind the controls in flight! probly not all its cracked up to be , im sure. but its fun to think about. the concorde would have been a fun expereance, too bad its history.

Quick Reply: Boeing vs Airbus