Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Tundra Flareside

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 11:30 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
Tundra Flareside

Is it me, or does it look like Toyota took taillights from a PT Cruiser for use on this truck? I have seen a few lately, and the Flareside look does not go well at all on this truck.

Side note, drove a Titan today. Nice rig, but feels way too "trucky". Also drove a new Ram Quad Cab last week, almost got seasick with the suspension on that thing.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:16 AM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh.

I thought we wanted "trucky" trucks?

I know our diehard "regular cab-long beds are the only truck" crowd will spout off about how today's 1/2-tons are too soft and (I agree here) the manual tranny is dying off in them....I don't personally want a leathered-up truck interior. If it's a decent grade of plastic that fits well, doesn't rattle, and I can clean it off easily, I'm game for it.

If I want luxoesque, I can wait until my 1980 MGB vert is finished up.

The Tundra flareside....hmm, one of my ex-instructors who I keep in touch with had a Tacoma XCab flareside with a 2.4L/auto. Have't seen it in a good while, but it is a bit smoother looking than the Tundra version. I believe it has the newer "prison cell" (my description) grille on it.

As for the Ram, my bosses went from a 4.7L 2003 Ram to an 04 with the Hemi to pull their 31' camper. Does fine. It revs like a Honda, so say some on the forum. (Slight joke) That ain't a bad thing, I suppose, but their Rams in their words seem "looser" when it comes to steering. I hope that's not a literal term. As for the seasick thing, I work on a crewboat for a living, so as the saying goes, "I'm not scurred!"

Last edited by AlfredB1979; 05-22-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:36 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

The flaresides on the Tundra looks like the rearend of some car with a truck cab, just doesn't look good.
The Titan feels too "trucky" ???? That's probably the best compliment I've heard anyone say about the Titan!!

Old 05-22-2005, 09:28 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Yeah, to me it's the size/design of the tailight and how it meets the tailgate. Seems they were going for "Elegance" and came up with "goofy".

Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
Okay, the "trucky" comment may have been misdirected at this crowd. My bad. I meant to say "semi-ish", if that's a word. Where the new F150's feel relatively flat and stable around corners, the Titan felt like the side view mirrors were gonna scrape. I REALLY liked the motor in the Titan, nice oooomph throughout the whole power band.

and the RAM felt very loose with the steering and front suspension. The front wheels wander alot, with a horrible on-center feel. and the front dampers just seemed to be set up all wrong. I would take a little more thump when going over bumps as opposed to the pitch and roll of a WW2 carrier in the pacific during Typhoon season. Perhaps I exaggerate a touch but...

Old 05-23-2005, 12:33 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979
If I want luxoesque, I can wait until my 1980 MGB vert is finished up.
No offense meant, but for someone that owns a Grand Marquis, that's a tough comment to comprehend.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:48 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Or a Town Car Touring Sedan

Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Yeah, I've seen a few of these Flareside Tundras around. They don't seem too popular, or as popular as the Ford & Chevy. I just think the entire Toyota Flareside bed is hideous. Just the curves and lines are unattractive and like it was stated, the taillights look like they were stolen from a PT Cuiser. I like the Flareside Fords, as I have an F-150 Flareside. But these Toyotas just do not look good with the Flareside.