1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear to narrow on my "50"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:33 PM
dixyson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear to narrow on my "50"

I recently purchased a 1950 F1 that has been converted to 4x4. The body sits on a 1976 Cherokee frame with a 1966-75 CJ front axle and a 1976 F100 rear axle. The problem is the rear is not wide enough. The tires need to come out about 4" on each side to clear the bed. I have checked on spacers but the thickest I could get a quote on were 3 1/2" thick and would run me about $300 dollars. The guy says he would not recommend spacers that thick so I need to do something else. I saw on the tech. pages that a ford van axle would be wide enough but would it work allright on a 4x4. I do plan on this truck going off-road some. Any other model 4x4 fords have a rear end that would be wide enough? Would offset rims work and if so what kind and where could I find them? I am on a budget so I was hopeing to find a wreck in a junkyard and make a trade for my rear end or better yet keep it if I could do something else since I just had the brakes re-worked. Thanks.

Last edited by dixyson; 04-06-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:26 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
I don't think you can have a '76 F100 rear end under there. Up until '72 the rears were the same width as the 50's. After '73 they got 2-3" wider. You might try running the numbers again on the tag, or measuring what you have.

Stock was 57" axle stub to stub. OR 61 1/4" drum face to drum face.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
What are the offsets of your rims currently? It is hard to say if you can do better if we do not know what you have.I have a 10" wide wheel with 2.5" of rear offset on my truck.

Originally Posted by dixyson
I recently purchased a 1950 F1 that has been converted to 4x4. The body sits on a 1976 Cherokee frame with a 1966-75 CJ front axle and a 1976 F100 rear axle. The problem is the rear is not wide enough. The tires need to come out about 4" on each side to clear the bed. I have checked on spacers but the thickest I could get a quote on were 3 1/2" thick and would run me about $300 dollars. The guy says he would not recommend spacers that thick so I need to do something else. I saw on the tech. pages that a ford van axle would be wide enough but would it work allright on a 4x4. I do plan on this truck going off-road some. Any other model 4x4 fords have a rear end that would be wide enough? Would offset rims work and if so what kind and where could I find them? I am on a budget so I was hopeing to find a wreck in a junkyard and make a trade for my rear end or better yet keep it if I could do something else since I just had the brakes re-worked. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:46 PM
dixyson
New User
My rims have 3 1/2" of offset and are 10" total. I got the info for the rear from having the brakes re-worked. The parts house had to compare the old shoes to what they had in stock and they came up with a match for a 1965 ford F100 (they said T100). I say the prior as I have never heard of a T100 from ford. I can't get a measurement from the rear right now as it is raining cats and dogs outside. If the rear has a tag on it where would I look up the numbers?

Last edited by dixyson; 04-06-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:15 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A Ford or Dodge van axle would be wider and probably the widest rear you are likely to find. I wonder why the builder did not retain the Cherokee rear end. Unless you are running a lot of horsepower it would hold up okay. You could consider going back to a Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler rear end. I measured the one in my '02 Wrangler some time ago and it measured 64 inches from backing plate to backing plate. The tricky part in replacing the rear end might be matching the ratio of the front axle. I definitely would not consider spacers.

Vern

Old 04-07-2005, 05:16 PM
dixyson
New User
I just measured the rear and it doesnt' look near wide enough to be from a '65' f100. I measured 46 1/2 inches from inside to inside on the drums(where the axle shafts terminate) plus about another 3 inches per side to where the rims mount for a total of about 52 1/2 or 53 inches. The only markings I could find on the rear end were located on the bottom of the housing. Looking at it with my head toward the front and laying on my back it has what looks like a raised clock face with 2 dots for the 12 o'clock position and a pointer that points to the 5 o'clock position and to the right of this it has a 2 in the 12 o'clock position, an upside down 1 in the 3 o'clock position and a backwards 3 in the 6 o'clock position. It has a pointer that points to the 2. Of these 3 numbers and pointer all are also raised from the surface. The rear is a 12 bolt. It has stock perches for the leaf springs on the bottom but the leafs have been moved above the axle and additional perches have been welded on. It is a ford and or jeep 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. The drain plug is located on the drivers side of the housing.

Last edited by dixyson; 04-07-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:51 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

The 9" carrier bolts in from the front and has only 10 studs/nuts. Here's a couple of sites that will keep you busy. Tons of great info -

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

http://www.katy.tx4wd.org/tech/axle_id.htm

The second shows drawings of various rears. Down toward the bottom you'll find AMC and Chrysler - both have 12 bolt rears.
Tim

Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 PM
TheMadFabber
Senior User
What you have is a Jeep rear axle...

Buy a Ford 9" out of a late 70's truck... and you'll be ok.

Sam.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:34 AM
dixyson
New User
Thanks. Just got thru looking at the links and yes it is a '76' and later cj rear. Any chance if I swap it for a ford 9 inch that I could find one that would have the same gear ratio as the front cj axle or would I have to change the gearing in the front also? What is the easiest way to tell what the ratio is on either one?

Old 04-08-2005, 05:47 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I am not sure what you plan on using the truck for. If everything is already hooked up and you have wheels that fit. You could cut the bed and tub it to fit the wheels and tires you have.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

You should be able to match the front ratio. There are Ford 9" rears in almost any ratio you can imagine. Figure out what you have and then start looking.

You want a 9" from a half-ton 1957-72. They are the same as the '50 stock width. An axle from '73 thru the mid/late 80's will be a little wider but could be used with offset rims to make up the difference.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:54 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtflat
You should be able to match the front ratio. There are Ford 9" rears in almost any ratio you can imagine. Figure out what you have and then start looking.

You want a 9" from a half-ton 1957-72. They are the same as the '50 stock width. An axle from '73 thru the mid/late 80's will be a little wider but could be used with offset rims to make up the difference.
WIth the truck sitting on a 76 Cherokee frame, you may need the extra width of the 73 up axle. Check on 'fenders favorite website, www.Measureityourowndamnself.com and be sure.

Vern

Old 04-08-2005, 04:23 PM
dixyson
New User
I thought about tubs but dont want to take away any of the bed as I plan on hauling my dog box in it when I go deer hunting. Thanks. I also plan on looking into another rear(as much as I would like to avoid having to swap mine out) as that is the only option I can see to get the wheels out enough to miss the bed. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:40 PM
dixyson
New User
Looked at my rear again and think I can get away with 3 1/2 inches to clear the bed. Can get 2 inch spacers so need to come up with the rest by different rims. What is the least back spacing that you can find for the 5 on 5.5 pattern? Who makes them and where can I find them. I have about 3 1/2 inches backspace on the steel rims I have now so I need to find some with at least only 2 inches.