1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

92 E150 Horn & Cruise not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 12:42 PM
gndzro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 E150 Horn & Cruise not working

Hi All,
I just went through the lovely experience of fixing my horn and cruise control. By searching FTE I was able to figure out my problem was a broken clock spring. So I either had to replace or fix it somehow. Well I decided to fix it.

First I disconnected the battery for safety. I then pulled off the airbag and steering wheel. beneith the steering wheel is a round plastic case with a ribbon cable wound up inside. It looks like a clock spring so I guess thats why they call it that. I think its a dumb name because its not springy at all and has no spring like function at all. The basic function of this thing is to allow your steering wheel to turn freely without kinking up your wires that run from the steering wheel down to the steering column. There is a connector on the steering wheel side where your wires from the steering wheel plug into and there is another connector on the column side that feeds the wires to rest of the vehicle. You need to disconnect the wires from your steering wheel to the clock spring to allow you to complete the removal of the steering wheel. The clock spring has three torex screws holding it in place. Take those out. The clock spring will now lift right out. However it is still connected to the wires on the backside that go down the column. I didn't disconnect these because the best way to do this by not cutting any wires is to disconnect the horn and cruise from under the dash and fish those through the column up to the clock spring. A real pain but this will allow you to take the whole thing into your garage so you can do your repairs. The clock spring comes apart further by removing a cover and a retaining ring. This allow you to get a good look at the guts. Again it just a ribbon cable all wound inside. The ribbon on mine was broken right at the connector on the steering wheel side. I had to take that connector apart and re-solder the ribbon cable back to it. You have to be careful in doing this because that connector doesn't come apart very nicely since it is riveted. Continue to check for any other major kinks in the ribbon and make sure there aren't any breaks in it. As long as the problem isn't in the middle of the ribbon you should be able to do this. Putting everything back together again is easier than pulling it apart. Good Luck

Old 09-12-2016, 11:49 AM
zarmo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this exact issue with my 92 E150, but I am trying to find a replacement rather than fixing mine. but doesn't seem to be any around. so I might just have to try your solution. thanks for this post.