1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Interior Question?? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:41 PM
babeedoll2u
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Interior Question?? Please help

Hi. This isn't really a mechanical question but I really could use someone's help We have a E 150 1986 van that we bought in relatively good shape. Unfortunately a lot of the things inside the van were taken out, like the shades or blinds. I can't seem to find any kind of blinds that will fit the 3 large windows because they are shaped kind of weird at the bottom(wider on the bottom than top). Does anyone know what types of privacy blinds or shades or what came in these types of vans?? Maybe even certain types of curtains, tho I'm not sure how they would go in. I can't find anything online that might fit them. I have found some blinds that would fit the side door windows and back door windows. We are going on a trip and I would really like to have something up for privacy. Any information would be helpful. Thanks so much.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:06 PM
al_e._gator
Senior User
If it had blinds it must be a conversion van. Do you know the name of the conversion company. They might be able to help you find the right blinds.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:20 PM
babeedoll2u
New User
Smile

Yes, it is a conversion van. I'm not sure what the guy had hanging in the van. There was something covering the windows but I don't know what. So if anyone knows what came stock in an 86 conversion van or what would fit please let me know. I will look into the name of the company. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:59 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, it's an 86, any idea as to who did the conversion? That would be a great help. Try jc whitney, they carry alot of those oddball items noone else does.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Kaleo
Senior User
My '86 National Coach has what appears to be standard mini blinds. You should be able to use those, just have to find the right width and have the hight shortened to match the window. Mine also has a wooden box or valance covered in the same interior fabric, over the top part of the blind. It covers the blind when pulled all the way up, also has the mood lighting behind them. Hope that gives you some good ideas.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:42 AM
ACESN8S
Elder User
My 86 is a Van-Tique, but pretty much set up like Kaleo's.
Look at the driver's door pillar. It should say who did the conversion.

Patrick

Old 02-22-2005, 09:56 AM
racinrob
Senior User
hello, ok. was the interior taken out?. there should be a plastic molding around the windows that is squared off to fit the blinds.

the regular blinds don't work well and they are noisey, rattling around and are prone to breaking. alot of people take them out. the papar ones used on 90's models seem better and might be easier to find.

who ever made your van made alot more in your area. i would check junk yards and the paper for a van "your" year to part out. a conversion with a bad engine or tranny is only gonna cost a couple hundred dollars. i just let one go by for $400, i need a windsheild one of these days. you could always put some parts up on ebay and, with its scrap value, break even.

anyway i had a 76 e150 custom van before they did these conversions and i feel the new ones don't compare to doing it yourself. my old van had curtains on rods and they worked fine and were quiet. the windows were tinted dark black and added to the privacy. i'm thinking of darkening my 87 con. for this reason. the windows they use use now might as well be clear.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:24 AM
racinrob
Senior User
me again. the heyday of conversions were the 80s' and 90s' before the suv craze. alot of companys stop making them. you can post a pic or two on this site. that with the location of were you bought it, might get the answer of who made it. if it has original paint, the stripe job should give it away. if you see a van with the same paint you could ask the owner. i find lots of info on the autotrader site. if you search 80s' conversions in your area you might just see one like yours with the info.

that is of course if the info is not on a sticker inside your door. good luck.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:55 PM
babeedoll2u
New User
Thanks so much to everyone for your help! I did find the name of the conversion company. It is Kontinental Koaches by Keenan's World of Customizing, located in Greenville SC. Unfortunately they are no longer in biz. I also tried JC Whitney but didn't find anything. I even called dealerships. No luck. I will try looking on ebay as well. I guess I'll make some curtains or something..lol Anyway thanks for all of the suggestions and if you have more, please continue to post!..

Old 02-22-2005, 07:12 PM
racinrob
Senior User
figured they're out of business, my company is to. if you don't want to look for a junker there are some options.

try suv and rv stores, the managers will be more familiar with this stuff.

find a local dealer that sells new conversions. find the name of the company and ,if there close by, see what they'll charge to do the job for you. they will have the stuff and can probably match your interior if you get curtians too.

i would stay away from the regular mini blinds there noisey and are built like the cheap home units. if you find them buy some extras you'll need them. on my 87 conver. there are regular mini blinds that have a nipple that is added to the ends of the top and bottom of the blinds. these nipples(through holes in the window frame) hold the top in place and secure the bottom when down(till you hit a bump), but when you pull on the cord the whole unit falls out. a bad design on these years.

i would try to get what there using now for blinds, they have the bugs worked out better with the accordion stye blind. good luck

Old 02-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Kaleo
Senior User
Check here: http://www.v-sales.com/vsalesshades.htm
Looks like they could make the newer style pleated shades custom fit. Not sure about price, you would have to give them the details on your van.

Old 02-26-2005, 04:02 AM
ACESN8S
Elder User
To add to the site Kaleo mentioned, there is also:

Hoosier Van

RV and Van Surplus

Discount Van - Truck

And of course CR Laurence

Patrick