1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

replacing a driver's side window?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 05:10 PM
robbedbyafish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question replacing a driver's side window?

Hi, I am seeking any help I can find before paying a lot of money at a shop. The other day a rock went through my driver's side window shattering the glass into my lap. I've got another window I can replace the broken one with, however, I am stuck on how to install it for two reasons: 1.) the brackets attached on the bottom of the new window do not fit through the window slot within the door frame and there seems to be no other point of entry for the window besides removing the brackets and sliding the window through, and 2.) the brackets don't seem to come off the window. So I guess what I am asking is are the brackets supposed to come off the window or was there another way to install the new glass. OR would the whole thing be easier if it went to a shop. I've been able to fix everything else with the truck by myself up to this point. Any help would be appreciated, thanks....Rob

Old 02-06-2005, 08:55 PM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
You have car insurance, right? When my truck was broken into, I took it to a place that handled the insurance company, cleaned out the broken glass from inside the door (IMPORTANT!!!), and had my truck ready in less than an hour... and they cleaned the glass from most of the interior too! Let the pros do it... it's cheaper than paying for them to do it after you break something... (not that I don't have any faith in you or anything, but you know what I mean...

Old 02-06-2005, 09:34 PM
robbedbyafish
New User
yes I have insurance, but the window isn't covered. The incident was ruled an "act of God" therefor wasn't covered by either my insurance or the truckers' who kicked the rock up and through the window, So I have to pay for it all myself. I guess it goes to the shop then. I am pretty sure the replacement window wasn't taken out properly anyway....the rod attached to the brackets is missing on the replacement window leading me to beleive they hacksawed it off when it wasn't supposed to be, since the same rod is riveted on to the broken windows' brackets and also seems impossible to get off without a drill and another rivet gun. So yeah, to the shop it goes, thanks for the advice

Old 02-12-2005, 05:01 AM
DFMech02
New User
door glass installation

these windows are held in with plastic grommets secured with 1/4 inch dia. rivets... remove the 2 grommets from the bracket *important , use a punch to knock out the rivet studs then drill the rivet out with a 1/4 inch drill bit.
vacuum all particles of glass from the door ( carefully check for chips of glass that may be wedged in the window guide weatherstrip).
It may be necessary to remove some of the weatherstrips/rubber trim to slide the new glass into the door . align the plastic grommets that are now installed with the bracket and align that with the access holes in the doorshell
1/4-20 bolts can be used in place of the rivetsfor installation the rivets can only be installed with a "big daddy" rivet gun not a common tool .
use bolts that are only long enough to attach the window, use a lock washer, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN etc...
hit me back if you need more info I am a certified installer