Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fumoto drain plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:23 PM
psdjeff
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fumoto drain plugs

I'm new to this site and have a couple of questions. I have a 2002 f250 7.3psd. Was looking into the Fumoto drain plugs. Any comments pro or con?

Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
BigRed350
Senior User
Originally Posted by psdjeff
I'm new to this site and have a couple of questions. I have a 2002 f250 7.3psd. Was looking into the Fumoto drain plugs. Any comments pro or con?
Do a search for "Fumoto". You'll find several threads with this topic or discussion. About half the people on here like them, and the other half don't. I'm in the half that doesn't!

Good luck, Mark

Old 02-01-2005, 06:18 PM
MTman
Junior User
Love mine, man. Especially when I screw up and need to drop a quart because I wasn't paying attention. What could be not to like about them. Super high quality. I have the one with a nipple.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:29 PM
dddenio
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigRed350
Do a search for "Fumoto". You'll find several threads with this topic or discussion. About half the people on here like them, and the other half don't. I'm in the half that doesn't!

Good luck, Mark
Thinking of the negatives, the only thing that comes to mind is a slower drain time.

I've been thinking about getting them myself, why shouldn't I?

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 02-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I'm in the group that loves them. I've had mine for nearly three years, and haven't experienced any of the things people worry about.
No one has crawled under my truck and let my oil drain out while the truck is parked.
I haven't snagged the valve on something in the road.
I haven't had a problem with the drain time. By the time I get another filter filled with oil, lube the front end, and get ready to start adding oil, the draining is done.
And, I can do an entire oil change using one or two paper towels. Painless.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:35 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i love mine, never had a problem with it. i sheared the PTO pump off the trans but didnt get the futomoto one day trying to get to a utility substation. ive got them on about everything that takes motor oil now

Old 02-02-2005, 12:55 PM
strangmk
Freshman User
I love all mine....PSD, car and generator. No problems whatsoever.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:06 PM
DavidHaile
Junior User
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
How do you do that? I can stay clean until I have to take the darn half-gallon oil filter off, then oil goes everywhere no matter what I do. Please explain!

Old 02-02-2005, 01:11 PM
strangmk
Freshman User
I punch a hole in the bottom of my filter with an ice pick and let it drain. No mess at all.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla

How do you do that? I can stay clean until I have to take the darn half-gallon oil filter off, then oil goes everywhere no matter what I do. Please explain!
I punch a hole in the bottom of my filter with an ice pick and let it drain. No mess at all.
Personally, I use a screwdriver, but the result is the same. The oil drains out of the filter while the crankcase is draining, and pulling off the filter results in getting about two drops of oil on your hand.
I did an oil change when I got home from work today, and timed the Fumoto, to see how quickly it drains. I pulled into the driveway, slid a large sheet of cardboard under the truck, and positioned my bucket under the Fumoto. I flipped the switch on the valve, and started a stop watch. I grabbed a new filter off the shelf, and started filling it with fresh oil. I crawled back under the truck with a hammer and screwdriver, and punched a hole in the filter. I crawled back out from under the truck, added a little more oil to the filter, and opened a can of soda. As I was doing that, I heard the oil running into the bucket sputter. I looked under the truck, and saw that the flow of oil through the Fumoto was sputtering. It took four minutes. I ain't so busy I can't wait four minutes for 14qts of oil to drain. The Fumoto was down to a drip before the filter was.