1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

FORD RECALL: F150, Expeditions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 01:33 PM
KentuckyMike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation FORD RECALL: F150, Expeditions

Just seen this today on MSN site. Interesting that it was the cruise control, from past posts, I would have thought the fires originated from elsewhere.

They will send out recall info next month, but they will only disable the cruise control switch until later when they can actually fix them.

Sorry, they wont let me post the site here but it is on the MSN homepage.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:17 PM
scottspoerry
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reuters reporting

THis is the short Reuters wire describing the recall as of 3:15pm eastern time. I'm sure there will be more complete writeups later in the day:

Ford to recall 792,000 SUVs, pickups for fires risk

DETROIT, Jan 27 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. <F.N> said on

Thursday it was recalling about 792,000 pickup trucks and sport

utility vehicles because of a fire risk.

The recall involves 2000 model-year F-150 pickup trucks,

Expedition and Navigator SUVs, and 2001 model-year F-Series

Supercrew pickup trucks equipped with speed control.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:15 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Fire risk prompts recall of 800,000 Ford pickups, SUVs
Associated Press

DEARBORN, Mich. - Ford Motor Co. is recalling nearly 800,000 pickups and sport utility vehicles because the cruise control switch could short circuit and cause a fire under the hood, the nation's second biggest automaker said today. ADVERTISEMENT

The recall affects approximately 792,000 Ford F-150 pickups, Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators from the 2000 model year. Also affected are 2001 F-Series Supercrew trucks that were made at the same time.

Ford will notify owners of the recall in February, and dealers will deactivate the cruise control switch for free. Once the company has an adequate supply of replacement switches, it will send another letter notifying owners that they can get their switches replaced.

Ford said cruise control will be disabled once the switch is deactivated.

"We recognize this may be an inconvenience, but we believe this preventive action is in the best interest of our customers' safety," the company said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation into the defect in November after receiving 36 reports of fires. All of the incidents occurred when the vehicle was parked and the ignition was turned off. No injuries were reported.

Ford said it worked closely with NHTSA throughout the investigation.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:47 PM
1BigExpy
Senior User
I have a 2000 Expedition and I believe i'll risk the fire. I can't drive anywhere without using cruise control. Its ten miles to work and I'll have the CC on for about 7.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:21 PM
ExpyDaveG31
New User
I DITTO that. I'll wait until the new switches arrive before mine will go into the dealer. I buy Fords for my local government so I'll have a heads up when they show up.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:55 PM
saltzy
Senior User
Hate to sound like a ninny here, but you would risk fire destroying your truck and perhaps that fire spreading to your home, loved ones, or other vehicles because you can't drive 10 miles without using cruise control for a couple months?

I would understand 100 miles--maybe still not agree, but understand at least--but 7 miles without cruise is that much of an issue?

To each his own.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Matt03Expy
Tuned
Personally, I hardly ever use the CC. But if I were dependant on a feature that could destroy the vehicle and its surroundings with the knowledge that it will be fixed soon and used it anyway, I would deserve whatever I got.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Trucker22
Senior User
Fires

I called my dealer and my 2000 NAV is involved; he will disable the CC tomorrow morning; I have it parked outside tonight. I don't believe in tempting fate. Dealer thinks new switch should be available in April. It's a real shame that Ford can't fess up to this problem without the government getting involved. We've been reading about these issues for months. From what I can tell the incidence is very low; but I think one is too many with this type of problem. It's a miracle no one has died.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:29 AM
D2EBMA
Senior User
Is disabling the cc a simple process (fuse, etc.)? That is, if Ford doesn't have the part, is there something I can do myself rather than go to the dealer twice? I'll take the time to go when they can fix it, but would rather not have to go just so they can yank a fuse.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:04 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Hate to sound like a ninny here, but you would risk fire destroying your truck and perhaps that fire spreading to your home, loved ones, or other vehicles because you can't drive 10 miles without using cruise control for a couple months?
36 fires among 792,000 vehicles makes the chance of your truck burning less than 5/1000 of a percent. If you throw in that these trucks are 5 years old, there are not enough zeroes on your calculator to determine the chance of 1 truck catching fire tonite. Or even in the next few months. If the guy wants to keep trusting the truck he has trusted all this time (110K miles in my case), it's not like he's playing russian roulette.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:36 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jas88
36 fires among 792,000 vehicles makes the chance of your truck burning less than 5/1000 of a percent. If you throw in that these trucks are 5 years old, there are not enough zeroes on your calculator to determine the chance of 1 truck catching fire tonite. Or even in the next few months. If the guy wants to keep trusting the truck he has trusted all this time (110K miles in my case), it's not like he's playing russian roulette.
Good point. I do alot of highway driving so here is my issue, I have to take time out of my busy day to go get my CC disconected, then wait who knows how long to get the new part to go get it changed. I will save the trip and I park my Expy outside anyways so if she go's, she go's. My Expy hasn't given me an ounce of problems since day one so I have no intention of running to my dealership today or in the near future to get my CC disabled.

Its just like getting the ball joint letter from Ford. It basically told me I have to pay money out of my pocket to get my ball joints looked at because Ford screwed up and yet I have never had any issues with ball joints on both my Expy or my 99 F-150.

just my .02

Old 01-28-2005, 09:55 AM
saltzy
Senior User
Originally Posted by jas88
It's actually exactly like playing russian roulette, albeit with slightly better odds. That is, odds are that you won't get the loaded chamber, but it's still possible.

Don't make me the bearer of bad news though--I think it's way more weird that someone can't go 7 miles without cruise control. In all honesty though, it matters not a whit to me. I hope to God that he, you, myself, and everyone on this board doesn't have to ever deal with this problem happening to us.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:59 AM
RevLimiter
New User
Anyone have a wiring diagram or even a picture of where that relay lives? Relays are easy enough to change out myself.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
I'm not worried just yet.

I do find the whole process kinda funny. For example, Expy owner hears about, finds out about, etc. the recall and knows that the fires are a direct result of using cruise control. Ford suggests he/she come in and have a fuse pulled or something similar until the replacement parts are availble. Uh oh, no cruise control for however long. Couldn't Joe Expy owner just not use the cruise control until the parts come in rather than make a special trip to the dealership? I know, I know, it's a CYA thing on Ford's part.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:35 PM
D2EBMA
Senior User
Is that the cause? USING the cruise? If that's the case, I'll just not use it until they have the parts to replace it.

Quick Reply: FORD RECALL: F150, Expeditions