Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Rattling noise under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:01 PM
mikemoore
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Rattling noise under acceleration

I just bought a 2002 Explorer with 40K miles and V-8. It runs and drives fine, but under acceleration, it sounds like a rattling noise coming from the tranny, but not engine ping or detonation from cheap gas. It wont do it in overdrive. The dealer claimed that they reprogrammed the PCM (power control module) and that the noise would go away in 500 miles or less. It has worsened, and now claim the noise is normal. Anybody had the same experience? I am an airplane mechanic for living, this has me stumped. I would like to have it fixed while under warranty. Can't believe any such noise is normal.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 PM
vicv
Senior User
How about a loose heat shield? Look on the pipes near the converter, the clamps sometimes break or rot.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:04 PM
mikemoore
New User
Heat sheild

I checked that, they are all tight. Underside looks brand new. It is actually in excellent shape. It is at the dearship now, let the games begin.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:59 PM
98xlt
Senior User
has it ever had a tranny fluid flush and definitely replaced with Mercon V, not Mercon/Dexron?

Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Backin72
Senior User
Sounds like a dirty MAF sensor, but you say it's coming from the tranny. Might be worth checking out.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:36 AM
mikemoore
New User
Angry transmission rattling

I have not flushed the tranny. Did Ford use the wrong fluid? Also if the fluid change solves the problem, what was the problem? I does not make the noise in over drive, only in the first 4 gears. Plus, the noise does not follow RPM like a knock or ping would, and does it at low power and high power or just touching the gas vs. matting it. It actually sounds like marbles being shaken in a can, and it is not a steady rattle in frequency or amplitude, but is continuous (all the time).

The rear end whines too. My other 2002 explored did the same thing. It was a V-6 2wd, but ran very good. The rear end started whining around 7K miles or so, now at 70K is very loud. We actually lost a rear wheel bearing at 50K. It went out so fast, nearly couldn't keep it on the road.

Of course, Ford said they have no complaints with any rear end or tranny noises. I had to pay the 750.00 bill to have it towed and repaired, plus rent a car to get home. What a rip off. The bearing was 29.00 at autozone, but 119 at ford. They would not allow substitution. Plus they thought it necessary to change the hub, and brake disc. I am about sick over this whole thing.

The ford service managers are trained very well by Ford, to deny aknowledgement of any defects with a ford vehicle. The mechanic the rode with me could hear the noise, and even asked how long it had been going on. The service managers comment to me yesterday was "can't duplicate the problem". I wish I was a boxer.

Last edited by mikemoore; 01-12-2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Backin72
Senior User
Mike,

I had a similar "rattling" problem with my '94. I first thought it was the heat shields on the exhaust. I had them checked out and found a loose one. Had it tightened but that didn't fix the noise. It sounded like the tranny to me also. No one could figure it out. I decided to just live with it. A few months later I was having stalling and idiling problems. Took it to the Ford dealership and they changed the IAC and cleaned the MAF. When I picked up the vehicle, that rattling noise was gone! When I got home I phoned the service dept. and asked to speak to the mechanic who worked on my truck. I told him about the rattle I had and now it was gone and asked what he had done that might have fixed it. He said it was definitely the cleaning of the MAF, which a dirty one can cause your engine to sound like it has marbles in it. I don't exactly remember what he said but it was something about it running to lean or rich, caused by a dirty MAF, don't remember which. Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:40 PM
98xlt
Senior User
mikemoore-
I suggested the ATF check on the chance it had never been changed and was dirty or wrong fluid provided during replacement. typical problems in this situation would likely be a shudder, but I'm not sure if a shudder would be accompanied by a noise like you describe.
It is very hard to diagnose the exact source of a noise under the hood or car, especially alone. I have squeaks on my 98 that I would love to get rid of, but can't pinpoint the location, even with the help of a neigbor and I don't feel like throwing lots of cash at bushings and bearings on the chance they might be the source.
Since it would probably only take a few minutes and no cost, I would follow up on Backin's suggestion of cleaning the MAF to see if it makes a difference. If that works, you'll be ahead of the game on that issue.
As far as Ford service writer stating that they don't know of the rear-end whine in late model explorers, that is a whole lot of hooey. They've had tons of complaints and changed out many a rear axle at their expense all across the country. Just search these threads a little more, there's plenty of ammo. This very problem is one reason I would be unwilling to chance getting a new explorer for my next vehicle.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:33 AM
mikemoore
New User
Thanks for the help, I will look at the MAF, and IAC motor today and see what I can find. Then I am going to change the tranny fluid, just incase it has the wrong stuff in it.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:39 AM
mikemoore
New User
98XLT,

Did you know that Snap on makes a remote microphone and receiver for diagnosing rattles? I have one. The microphones are about the size of a deck of cards and have a magnetic mount. The kit comes with 4 microphones and a box that allows one to listen to them individually. They are wireless, and very handy. About 400 bucks for the set. They each have adjustable volume too. I have my own rack, and literally put a wrench on EVERYTHING to verify it was tight. I too found a loose catalytic converter bolt, but that was all. I have always been a Ford fan, but I want a new GTO so bad...............

Old 01-13-2005, 11:12 AM
98xlt
Senior User
cool tool to have. Is it pretty easy to determine the relative amount of sound between locations? I'm trying to determine if I have ball joint or tie rod problems or simply squeeky bushings. I've oiled the crap out of just about every joint with movement I can find with mixed results. I'm scared to poke a hole in some of these rubber boots on sealed items as suggested by others. cold weather seems to be a factor too.
Hope you are able to sort out your problem. thanks!