2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaf springs and uneven stance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:01 AM
cbsaf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaf springs and uneven stance.

Well my truck sits higher on the rear driver's side as I have stated in a few earlier posts and I have taken it back to Ford three times now for minor, unrelated, "not the thing to worry about" issues and each time I bring up the leaf springs and they say "3/4 inch or less is within Ford specs". Basically they won't touch the truck but I have thought about switching the shocks in case one is faulty and making it's side sag and if that dosen't work possibly even switching the leaf's sides to make sure it isn't a hanger and then having one of them de-arched 3/4". I know it isn't the shackles because it was the same before and after my 2 inch drop shackles. What would you guy's do? It isn't a big difference but "I" notice it and that is what matters to me but since it is within Ford's specs I get the feeling no dealer will touch it. I am not bagging Ford's service though because on the other issues they have come through no problem with an alignment of camber and toe angle, steering wheel index, balance tires, rotation, and free wash.
How much does it usually cost to de-arch or re-arch a leaf and will it cause sagging problems in the future? What would you do?

Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 AM
HSimpson
New User
I have the exactly the same problem. My dealer keeps wanting to blame the bed, but I'm in agreement with you about the sagging spring. I measured axle to frame and it is definitly higher on the rear driver side. My dealership has also said it is within specification, but they told me they would let me talk with the FSE. The dealersip has been great so far helping with all my vibration problems and such. I'll see how it pans out with the FSE he might agree to fix it or say it is within spec's.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:20 AM
cbsaf
Senior User
There are now pics in my gallery of this problem. Look at the wheel well photos and it is obvious. At first I thought it was compensation for the fuel tank weight. I wonder if my 27 gallon tank truck has a stronger spring for a 37 gallon truck or if I have one 4x4 spring and one 4x2 spring? I am going on vacation tomorrow so if anyone replies in the next week thanks but I won't be able to reply after today until next Saturday. Thanks in advance and give me some opinions.

Last edited by cbsaf; 01-08-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:23 AM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Originally Posted by cbsaf
There are now pics in my gallery of this problem. Look at the wheel well photos and it is obvious. At first I thought it was compensation for the fuel tank weight. I wonder if my 27 gallon tank truck has a stronger spring for a 37 gallon truck or if I have one 4x4 spring and one 4x2 spring? I am going on vacation tomorrow so if anyone replies in the next week thanks but I won't be able to reply after today until next Saturday. Thanks in advance and give me some opinions.
Thats a great looking truck you have! Very sharp looking!!....The pics you took where your truck is out of level is very noticable to me. Something isn't right with the stance of your truck and Ford should see that just by looking at it. I'm not to sure what might be going on with your truck, and I wish I did, but I'm pretty sure I know that it isn't normal and does have the need to be repaird. Sorry I can't help, but I would go to another dealer for this problem and see what happends? Never know. Goodluck!!

Old 01-08-2005, 03:19 PM
04truebluescab
New User
I noticed you added 2" drop shackles. I think you may have overtightened one or two bolts. Loosen all four bolts again and tighten just untill firm, donot overtighten. Take for test drive over some road that uses the suspension travel, and recheck. Just my idea. I put drop shackles on my truck, and have had no trouble, but DJM put a BIG note in there not to overtighten.

Old 01-08-2005, 05:07 PM
cbsaf
Senior User
I know it isn't the shackles because it was the same before and after my 2 inch drop shackles. The rear driver's side is also causing the front passenger side to slump 3/4 of an inch. Something in my gut tells me that it will level over time thought as the extra weight of the fuel tank wears on the spring. My 2000 XLT was lower on the driver's side after a few years and it started out even. Why can't they just do a split tank on each side of the bed with a gap for the driveshaft to fit and space on each side for true duals?

Old 01-09-2005, 09:27 AM
SuperCab 5.5
Freshman User
I have owned many trucks. None of them sit perectly level at all four corners. Don't take my word for it, take your tape measure and head up to the dealership. You can alter the measurements by moving steering wheel side to side.