2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I pull cars out of snow in 2WD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 11:53 AM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I pull cars out of snow in 2WD?

Hey everyone. I have a really dumb question. I am a frist time truck buyer of a 2004 f150 Supercrew XLT 2WD 3.55Ls I've had this truck a couple months now and we have been getting a lot of snow storms this winter, more then normal. I have been passing cars on the side streets a lot latly that have been stuck in a lot of snow with people trying to dig them out. I have been wanting to help with my truck, but I did not get the 4wd, I have the 2WD and I'm not sure if I will be able to pull them out of the snow without just spinning my back tires? I do have front tow hooks as I installed after I brought my truck due to the fact I liked the look of seeing tow hooks up front for some reason. I want to help people out on the streets but I also don't want to make a **** out of myself trying to pull someone out and just getting stuck myself. Can I pull anyone out in a 2WD truck, and has anyone every tried before?? I know it's a dumb question, but figured I'd come here and ask before I do anything. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 01-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Blue Blooded
Senior User
The first 2 trucks I've owned were 2wd and they would get stuck pretty easily. Even my last 4wd would spin wheels easily in 2wd. I would seriously doubt you could pull them out w/ 2wd (even w/ LS)unless your on clean blacktop

Old 01-08-2005, 02:17 PM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Pulling with 2wd

Originally Posted by mjbesen310
Hey everyone. I have a really dumb question. I am a frist time truck buyer of a 2004 f150 Supercrew XLT 2WD 3.55Ls I've had this truck a couple months now and we have been getting a lot of snow storms this winter, more then normal. I have been passing cars on the side streets a lot latly that have been stuck in a lot of snow with people trying to dig them out. I have been wanting to help with my truck, but I did not get the 4wd, I have the 2WD and I'm not sure if I will be able to pull them out of the snow without just spinning my back tires? I do have front tow hooks as I installed after I brought my truck due to the fact I liked the look of seeing tow hooks up front for some reason. I want to help people out on the streets but I also don't want to make a **** out of myself trying to pull someone out and just getting stuck myself. Can I pull anyone out in a 2WD truck, and has anyone every tried before?? I know it's a dumb question, but figured I'd come here and ask before I do anything. Thanks for the help guys!
A couple of factors to consider:

1. What do you have for tires on your rear wheels? All season tires in snow deep enough for people to be stuck in likely won't cut it.

2. How much weight are you willing to carry around in the truck box?

Another thing you might want to check out are tire chains. They might make a big difference for towing people out.

Whatever you decide to do remember to think safety first. There is a reason that tow trucks have those flashing lights and other safety equipment.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:31 PM
mjbesen310
Senior User
I have no weight in my bed. I have never needed weight in the back end of my truck since it handles great in the snow without missing a beat! I think having a supercrew with only a 5 1/2 foot bed makes the back end heavier then other trims. Thats just my guess. The snow that we get here, in Cleveland Ohio doesn't add up all that much over the winters, but this year we are getting pounded with snow and I'd like to help others on the sides of the roads get there cars unstuck by pulling them out. It's normally about a foot of snow that the plows left next to there cars that I'd like to just pull them out of. I just don't know what my truck will do putting a loud on it when trying to pull a car out in 2wd? Never had a truck before, so I don't know exactly what these trucks are capable of doing just yet.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Whatever you do I wish you the best of luck. You have a good heart wanting to help out people in need. I would hate to see you ruin your own truck or cause damage by doing this if you are inexperienced. Helping people out can be fun!

This said, if you do it - use tow straps only - no chains. And let the owner of the car attach the strap to their vehicle while you watch to make sure it's connected to something secure. You do not want a lawsuit for something you placed damaging their vehicle. Weight will help as well as AT tires and limited slip. Sometimes none of this will be enough.

One more thing to mention - NEVER use a winch of any kind to try to extract a vehicle from frozen snow - the snow must be removed first. I'd hate to see you killed for being a good samaritan and if the steel winch cable snaps and it hits you - you will be dead.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:05 AM
gregrog
New User
Smile Give it a try, BUT USE CAUTION!!!!!

I think you should be able to do it as long as the stuck person is'nt to far in the snow. A word of caution if its a small car with plastic bumpers dont even think about hooking on to it. There a video on the internet of a Dodge trying to pull what looks like a Saturn out of a snow bank and he rips the entire back end off this car. It is funny as all get out but that car was more then likely totaled.

Heres the video.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/snowtow.html

Everyone should think about that before doing someone a favor.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:18 AM
easterisland
Senior User
Even though I have a couple of 4wd trucks I wouldn't help anyone unless I knew them. There are too many who would be wiling to sue you for causing damage to their car. For example claiming you bent their frame pulling them out or scratching their car needlessly on tree branches or a guard rail. Then as BDW mentioned there is the whole safety light thing. AT tires aren't that great on snow. Try some snow tires if you want better traction.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:35 AM
HammerFX4
Junior User
MJ,
I have been reading your many posts since I`ve come to this board.The first one that struck me as funny was the day you walked out of the house or work,I forget which,and had 8 or 10" of snow.That`s the first one I remember you made mention of your 2x2.Why in the area you live,didn`t you go 4x4?Just curious.
As far as pulling another auto with 2x2 your asking for trouble for yourself.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:30 AM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Originally Posted by HammerFX4
MJ,
I have been reading your many posts since I`ve come to this board.The first one that struck me as funny was the day you walked out of the house or work,I forget which,and had 8 or 10" of snow.That`s the first one I remember you made mention of your 2x2.Why in the area you live,didn`t you go 4x4?Just curious.
As far as pulling another auto with 2x2 your asking for trouble for yourself.
Hey HammerFX4! Your right about that post I had before saying that I we did have about 8 or so inches on the ground that one day. I got the 4x2 just becuase I felt the need that I would hardly use it at all if any, here in Cleveland, we normally don't get all that much snow, but this year was different so far with a hole crap loud of it! My fathers been in ford trucks for about 20 years so far, never once having 4x4 on his truck, he never had a problem at all in 2wd over the years. My truck handles great in the snow even through this years bad winter so far with a storm a couple weeks ago that dumped about 17 inches on the ground, the truck did great! I just can't step on the gas and expect to go anywhere, I just have to easly step on the gas pedal to not spin the tires and the 3.55LS I got does a great job at keeping me going strong! All I was curious about is how strong 2wd is when it comes to trying to get cars unstuck, but the more I read on this post, the more I'm thinking not to try it, due to having somone blame me for damaging there car or truck trying to get them out. Here, people will do anything to try to get money, and I'm thinking it won't be a good idea to just help out anyone in need just for the fact I don't need to get blamed for something. Have a good on guys!