General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Coffee Drinker?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Whiskey before breakfast. Great tune, hard on the stomach.

I have tried every method of making coffee from Keurig to Cowboy, and mostly it's a matter of decent coffee itself and near boiling water. Most drip makers don't get the water near hot enough and it wastes coffee. The good stuff is overpriced and the cheap stuff tastes like old burlap.
I like using a french press for that reason. Water is super hot, and you only need a little bit of coffee to get a cup, like the keurig only cheaper!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using Eight O'clock coffee recently. They have a good, robust coffee that's strong enough to suit me. French press makes a great cup of coffee, but I drink way too much to go through the cumbersome hassle of the press. It's great for an after dinner cup, though.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
The Keurigs are handy, but they are a little spendy. About .60c a cup is the cheapest I've found.

What's real fun is not only grinding but roasting yer own. The problem there is the hipster roasters cost $399 and only make enough for a couple pots worth. It's basically a heatgun with a timer, and the digital controls hork out after a few pounds. If somebody could make a high volume reasonably priced roaster they would do well with it.

Fresh roasted coffee takes a couple days to peak and then it starts to get stale after a few days. An old air-popcorn popper does pretty much the same roast for about 20 bucks but they don't quite get all the way there temperature wise.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:14 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
I wonder if you could do a teabag like setup. boil water in a pot on the stove, and then add the coffee bag and let it seep for a while?

Old 12-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
I've been blessed or cursed with some pretty bland taste buds. Whether I'm drinking fresh ground or coffee from the corner gas station it all taste pretty much the same to me.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:21 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Whiskey before breakfast. Great tune, hard on the stomach.
Whiskey before breakfast and hard stuff after lunch

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-12-2014, 12:39 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
I use the Keurig at home and when I go fishing/camping I use either the Kelly Kettle and french press or make cowboy coffee. When I go on trips I always have a way to make coffee on the road. To save money and to be able to drink a coffee that I actually like I have the refillable cartridge for the Keurig...works great!

I used to drink Eight O'Clock however a few years ago it seems to me that they changed something. It just didn't taste right, others have said the same. I now drink Folgers Black Silk. It is a dark roast, but very smooth.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:53 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Well I know the hair of the dog/ shower beer is always a great way to wake up after a night of binge drinking!

Old 12-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
Green Mountain Dark Magic in my Keurig. That and I reuse the little cups to pack Community Dark Roast in. Only 1 cup in the morning with the occasional cup in the afternoon.

Keurig is a sissymans coffee!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
I wonder if you could do a teabag like setup. boil water in a pot on the stove, and then add the coffee bag and let it seep for a while?
Folgers (and maybe others) have exactly that. They are perfect for hiking or maybe when just a cup is plenty.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:19 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting that some of you like your water near boiling. Coffee grounds have tannins in them (unpleasant, bitter flavor). Any seasoned home brewer (of beer) can tell you that you don't heat your grains much past 160ºF because you begin to extract the tannins at that temperature and up. I've found that I PREFER my coffee from drip coffee makers for precisely that reason--they don't get the water too hot. Even if (HA! It always is) it is strong, it will have good flavor without the bitter part of the profile being overpowering.

Jason

Old 12-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
What happens with the drip makers with the "always hot" tank, when used with hard tap water anyway, they eventually fill with sediment and the temp is no longer anywhere near what it was when new. That's the problem. I agree boiling water is too hot, but 130 won't cut it, either.

Some of the smoothest coffee is Cowboy coffee that is steeped in near boiling water, and then just set the pot sort of near the fire for a few hours. Or maybe it's just the fresh air. Coffee is expensive, even Shur-Fine. I like the good stuff too - but whatever I'm drinking don't want to waste it. Here's part of the camping rig - with a big boiler and a "coffee tipper".

Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2014, 12:52 AM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I had to join here. I drink coffee. Normally 4-6 cups per day. I could have another right now seeing even though it's midnight...

Old 12-13-2014, 01:00 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
What happens with the drip makers with the "always hot" tank, when used with hard tap water anyway, they eventually fill with sediment and the temp is no longer anywhere near what it was when new. That's the problem. I agree boiling water is too hot, but 130 won't cut it, either.

Some of the smoothest coffee is Cowboy coffee that is steeped in near boiling water, and then just set the pot sort of near the fire for a few hours. Or maybe it's just the fresh air. Coffee is expensive, even Shur-Fine. I like the good stuff too - but whatever I'm drinking don't want to waste it. Here's part of the camping rig - with a big boiler and a "coffee tipper".
Nice tipper!!!

How do you like the Big Buddy heater? Yea, I spotted it the rear of your pic. I'm thinking about getting one when I don't feel like firing up the wood stove 1st thing in the morning inside the tent.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:30 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Thanks. A buddy has a nice fireplace set that he's used at deercamp for years. I had to have one. So I found one online. Only thing is, sometimes photos aren't too good on scale. Could dang near spit a hog on that thing. Works great though, from somebody down in Arkansas iirc. Got the fireplace set and tipper from him, a ladle and hooks and stuff.

The big buddy works good. It eats those little one pound canisters like candy though, so get the filter and hose assembly for the 20 lb tanks. For tents, there is no substitute for wood stove and canvas, imo. Yes, relite or nylon is a lot less hassle and weighs less but it doesn't breath right. Wood stoves are messy, but there is nothing like wood heat. Propane generates condensation, in a synthetic tent it will start raining on you. Maybe just to take the chill off first thing would be OK.

Quick Reply: Coffee Drinker?