Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Virginia vehicle laws?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 05:53 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Virginia vehicle laws?

I am thinking about moving to Virginia in a few years, and I was wondering how 'car-friendly' the state is. In Florida, there are no emission or safety inspections, open-frame rail buggies are street legal, and you can run just about any wildly modified vehicle you dare. I'm not crazy, but I'd like to be able to tinker without running into ultra-tough rules like we had in Connecticut. Also, I'm looking at rural eastern VA, maybe within 60 miles of Richmond, as real estate seems to be cheaper there. Any suggestions?

Old 11-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginia isn't California strict on cars but at the same time don't expect a pass on most things.

For instance, if you have dark tinted windows don't be suprised of the State Police pull you over and hand you a razor. I've had it happen to quite a few of my friends.

- Chris

Old 11-21-2004, 11:55 PM
tsc
Senior User
Here's some light reading material
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/safety.htm

Old 11-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Kista20
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$15 for state inspections once a year and they do smog but it depends on where you live as I think most of va doesn't except for up around dc. Your vevicle also can't be so high off and so far from the ground. Basically if your tires, brakes, front end components, no exhaust leaks, lights and if your vehicle isn't rusted all to pieces you should pass with no problem. Generally if you bring in a vehicle thats got rust all over it they'll really look it over and if you drive a newer vehicle they'll be a lot easier. Plus it all depends on where you go. There are also county decals, the price varies from county to county. No neon lights, radar detectors are illegal. If theres anything more specific that you'd like to know any of us will be happy to answer your questions.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:14 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

I failed an inspect. once because my t-bird had a busted motor mount. It was news to me that they even checked those things! On my last inspect, I was sweating the amount of tread on the rear tires, but they passed, and the guy told me to replace the front brake pads soon, they won't last another year.I've been trying to find the answer on my tinted headlight covers, though. I haven't seen anything in writing that said they are illegal. maybe I'll check the link above...

Old 11-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Kista20
Elder User
yes light covers are illegal also and license plate covers (except for clear) are illegal too. I bought an explorer from the ford dealer a few years ago and they had just gotten it in and it had the slotted tail light covers, they let me have it for a weekend then I told them I wanted it so they inspected it as almost all dealers do when they receive trade ins then when I went back to purchase it they had tooken those covers off. I wasn't really bothered about it and I didn't ask about it either. I have a friend that has a gauge pillar pod and when he went to get it inspected they told him to take it off and they would inspect it and that he could put it back in afterwards so apparently those are illegal too.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Yeah, pillar pods restrict visibilty, as do anything hanging from your rear veiw mirror, and anything more than 3" or so high on your dash. Be sure that you don't have anything in your front window, no stickers, tint, decals other than those required by the state. Technically, they can ticket you for those Jiffylube stickers last I heard When I get inspected, I have to take off my tach and let it hang, and remove my little cross on the mirror. Trucks can't have there bumper off the ground anymore than 28"-31" depending on registered weight. Trucks can't sit any lower than 14" to the bumper. Suspension mods are iffy depending on who you take it too. Also, don't take your vehicle to a chain store, stick to the little, 1 owner shops or take it to the shops that do Hi-po work. They are a little more leinyent(sp?). I took my truck to a Shell once for an inspection, and they failed it becuase the headlights were off 1/4", and wanted $10 to fix And don't even get me started on Merchants Your best bet though, is just to get to know a mechanic, like me or go to a shop you frequent

Last edited by Franken-Truck; 11-23-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Kista20
Elder User
$10 for adjusting your headlights? Everywhere I've been they've done that for free. I heard about the oil change stickers too. I think thats going a little too far if you ask me. Your not supposed to have anything connected to your winshield. I'm a volunteer firefighter and in my car I have a redlight that sticks to the winshield with suction cups and the first time I took it to get inspected they made a note on the inspection ticket that they removed the light from the winshield which I know they didn't even touch it, last couple years I've took it to the same guy and he has never said one word about that light although I did tell him I was a firefighter and I'm allowed to have it, he just asked me if I had any other lights under the car or those lights on the washer nozzles and whatnot so I said no. Also you don't need your rearview mirror if you have both side mirrors.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
$10 bucks. . . I could barely keep a straight face when I told the guy I would fix it within 15 days. I scraped the sticker off and took it my regular guy, he didn't even mention it lol. I beleive you also don't need your passenger mirror either if you have a driver (I'd look that one up).

Old 11-24-2004, 06:28 AM
Kista20
Elder User
you don't need the passenger side if you have your driver's side and rearview mirror. You just have to have your driver's and one of the others.

Old 11-28-2004, 01:56 PM
MonsterBroncoKid
Senior User
Exclamation straight and narrow

youd be suprised after makin a few friends in the right places can do ya. its not to hard to find someone who will take donations for stickers....lol a lot of stuff you can get away with, but theres always that one bored cop whos gonna pick u off for haveing a licenc plate 3/4 of an inch off center or somethin stupid like that, but hey thats what they are there for.