2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing tow package need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 07:35 PM
skippy 10Z
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing tow package need help

Hello, and thanks to all for making this great forum.

So, I went out a few months ago snooping around the lot knowing I was up to no good. Saw this black STX 4x4, and began drooling. Signed my name in a few places, shook a couple of hands, and this thing was in my driveway in no time flat. Woke up the next day and realized it wasn't a dream. After I took the time to look at what I would be paying on for the next several years, I realized it didn't have a tow package. Heck, I thought they all had em. I then started cussing myself as I planned to use this truck to eventually pull a P.U. tent camper one day.

Now I have to install a hitch which I don't think is any problem. I need your help with the brake controller. I plan to put in a prodigy brake controller and not sure what else I will need in addition to the brake controller. Since I plan to order it on line I'm hoping to get everything I need on the first order. The truck does have a 4 pin connector on the back, but I know I'll need a 7 pin for the camper. Also, I did notice there is a connection under the dash which might have something to do with connecting wiring for a trailer but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else been there on this? If so, do you know what else I'll need in addition to the brake controller if anything? Do I simply need a wire to connect into that connector under the dash? What about getting the 4 pin to a 7 pin? It would have been a whole lot easier with the tow package. dang it! Thanks for any help you can offer. Skippy.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Rocky J
Elder User
Hi Skippy,
There is another guy going through the exact same thing, we've been discussing it over the last 2 days. Jump on this thread and see if you can get your questions answered here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=307557
It will save a bunch of repeating of the same info.

Welcome to FTE, btw.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:10 PM
skippy 10Z
New User
Thanks Rocky for such a quick response. You got me pointed in the right direction. Very much appreciated and hope I can help you sometime. Skippy.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Harrski
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck came with the tow package. In my glove box was a wiring harness that plugs into a connector under the dash. This is used to tie the brake controller into the truck. As far as the 7pin trailer connector I am not sure. I would assume that at the minimum you could but the wiring harness from Ford parts and it should just plug into the existing harness. I would find it hard to beleive that ford uses different wiring harnesses for vehcile without tow packages vs vehicles with. Usually the harnesses are the same to make it easier in the assembly plant and when an option is not ordered, they simply just don't plug anything in. Hope this helps Worse can senario, ford should be able to put the tow package on as an aftermarket part.

Old 11-18-2004, 05:26 AM
lardman
Elder User
You should be able to mount your brake controller in the same place I did (check out my gallery). Depending on the weight of the trailer, you'd probably want a trans cooler. You may also want the 7 pin wiring harness. Feel bad for you, went through the same thing on my 00 f150. Nice thing is (on the 00) the 7 pin harness plugged right into the same harness as the 4pin...just had to install the relays. Good luck.