1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tire Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 05:49 PM
ericg70
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Suggestions

New User, so if I'm a little rough around the edges I apologize.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

I have 98 Expedition XLT, I drive mostly on-road with a lot of highway driving, however I live in New England and hit a lot of bad weather and occasionally hit some very light off-road trails. I need new tires and was looking for suggestions, I have the Wrangler RT/S on it now and I think they stink. I have heard good things about the toyos and the Revos, but the few bad comments I have seen have been really bad. I was looking for a little advice.

A little backround on the Rig:
5.4 Tow package
17" Wheels
4 Wheel Air Suspension

Mods:
Bilstien Rear Shocks
Borla Cat Back System
K&N Filter Charger
Energy Suspension Sway Bar kits

Any input on the tires would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-01-2004, 07:38 PM
wkinkaid
New User
Well, I just put the Toyo Open Country A/T LT265/70-17 on my 98 EB. The Michelins had too many holes. The Toyos are quiet and seem to work great. Expedition feels like a sports car says the wife. A bit rougher ride now than the P-rated Michelins but we feel safer driving. NO more hydroplaning .I feel the LT's are for a truck and that is what we use the EB for.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Kevdadi
Junior User
Look up the tires Bridgestone a/t Dueler Revo. I bought my 265/70/17's for a pretty penny. The best way to get these affordably is to look around shops distant and nearest you.

According to all the websites of these tires, this is the best model, period. Run a search to find who's who--it's been a couple months, and I've deleted those sites to save computer's memory.

In my words as "AN ALL TERRAIN TIRE THAT HANDLES AT LEAST AS GOOD AS ANY STREET TIRE OF ITS SIZE (HEIGHT+WIDTH) THAT LAUGHS AT RAIN, MUD, AND (SOON TO BE) SNOW. THEY ROLL DOWN THE HIGHWAY WITHOUT A PEEP." Take that to the bank, or wherever else bad weather doesn't want to let you go-til you get these.

I'm not a spokesman for Bridgestone, although I used to work for them in Mexico... I JUST HAVE TO SAY I AM HAPPY WITH THESE TIRES AND CANNOT WAIT FOR WINTER'S WORST.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:24 PM
WillieWildcat
Senior User
Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO's are great no denying, but you can save money and get a kick butt tire in the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I have had mine for a few months and they are quiet for an AT tire, ride and drive well, and look awesome. They clean themselves very well also.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:38 PM
lwong
Senior User
You are going to get a lot of opinions, here's mine.

I also have a '98, although mine is an EB. I replaced the original RT/S's with Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's. These are a great tire, unless you plan on running them in the winter, where you might as well park the Expy or get dedicated snow tires. I also got terrible mileage out of them, 19000 miles before I hit the wear bars.

I replaced them with the Dueler A/T Revo. They are a great tire and I have been very happy with them. Treadwear has been excellent, and they are very quiet on the road. They come in a P-metric stock size only for the Expy. Most of us don't need LT attributes anyways, that's probably why they come from the factory with P-metrics. When I bought mine, I went to tirerack.com and priced them, and then went to local tire stores to see if they would match that price. Luckily, I found a store that matched their price, which at the time was about $130/tire.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:27 PM
bobward737
Junior User
Thumbs up Dueler A/T Revos or Firestone Destination LEs

I had the same dilemna. Was headed toward teh Revos when my friend who manages the Firestone locally sat me down and simply said that if more than 50 % of the time is highway driving, put on the Destinations. If I truly were "off road" all year round and not taking the wife to the symphony occasionally, then go ahead and put on the Revos.

Since I'm 92.7% highway miles, I put on the Destinations. Absolutely love the tires. Quiet, round and true, and great in heavy water.

Absolutely d the Wranglers. Almost worse than the Firestones they replaced a few years back.

Brgds,
Bob

Old 11-29-2004, 03:12 AM
shagnasty36
New User
I read lots of posts on tires. You can't go wrong with the Revo's!

Old 12-15-2004, 03:25 PM
JFWalker
Junior User
The stock Goodyear A/T tires are worn out at 35,000 miles on my F150 FX4. I went to the local discount tire store just to look at the Revos. The manager said he has had little business this month and offered the Revos for $107 each. 265/70/17. They are going on in the morning.

Old 12-15-2004, 03:47 PM
cpd806
Junior User
I just put new tires on my 98 Expy and for the life of me I can't remember what brand the tire guy said they were. ON the tire they say "Trail Guide RT". I paid something like 107 a piece. The only thing that I notice is a whien noise coming from the tires at anything over 50 mph.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:41 PM
luxury
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put 265/75/16 Revo's on and they are every bit as good as everyone said they would be. Stable, good looking, good traction on dry, wet, and snow, and unbelievably quite for such an aggressive tread. The jump up from 255/70/16 fills out the wheel wells pretty good. I paid $122 each at a small town WI tire shop, total bill was $570 with mounting/balance/taxes (tirerack.com would have cost more just to get them to my door).

Old 12-15-2004, 05:03 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Revos.

My story is an echo of what lwong posted.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:26 AM
beastv10
Freshman User
BFGs vs Bridgestone Revos

I have an Eddie Bauer 1998 with 17" wheels. I currently have the stock 265/75R17 Wranglers, which really stink. I want to get a better A/T tire for the bad weather in NJ and I go off road a little. I also want to go a little bigger. The problem is the 17" wheels. I am on a limited budget and have had the BFG A/T and the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts. I have lowned and loved both, but I cant get the Bridgestones in a 285 while maintaining the 17" rims. What is everyones opinion of the 285/70R17 BFG A/T's? I can get them from Costco for $205.99 each, mounted and balanced. Thanks

Old 12-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Kevdadi
Junior User
Beastv10:
Dude you've got the same setup Expy as I do. For the price of $200 apiece, you could get alot better deal perhaps even with rims from ebay, for example. Look at what everyone's said about the a/t revo's (myself included) and call it a day. As far as the extra width, unless that's the only deal you can get-go for it, but I must tell you that the stock sized 17" replacement tire in the revos are sweet. We've had one good snow day of about 8" of wet sloppy mud, and those things made my newest investment (expy) into a big big toy racing around like mud bogging. The big county salt/plow trucks have the skinnier tires for extra traction; I don't know where you live, but anyways... just $.02 more to add up. Later.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:19 AM
beastv10
Freshman User
Thanks for the input. I really would like the Revos, but I also want the extra height and width of the 285's. I guess I'm going to have to choose. I cant have may cake and eat it too. thanks again

Old 12-16-2004, 03:39 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
My favorites are Continentals and next would be Generals......j/k. I'm running big BFG AT's right now.

Quick Reply: Tire Suggestions