Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 1993 FSB today for $2300!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Rx7toys
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Buying a 1993 FSB today for $2300!

I found a clean one! It has a custom blue paint job, very nice! And some nice aftermarket wheels, I will post pics when I get it home! It has 190,000 miles, but the motor and trans were rebuilt at 100,000. It drives pretty good, but I can tell it needs front end work (at 190,000 it should!) it kinda seems like it doesn't take off like it could, like something is holding it back, Brakes dragging? anyway, for that price I couldn't resist, not a spec of rust on it (Oregon) all other broncs around here were about the $5k range and had 140,000 miles on them, Anyone think maybe I'm not stealing this with that many miles? Just curious, Will post again! OH it has a 302, with manual 4x4 (I wouldn'twant push button on something with that many miles!)

Old 11-02-2004, 03:05 AM
93BigBlackBronco
Senior User
Welcome aboard. Post some pics. What part of Oregon you in?

Old 11-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Rx7toys
Senior User
UH OH bad news!

I live in Ashland OR by the way, I stopped by the truck during work (cable guy) and grabbed the VIN to do a carfax, All is good EXCEPT that it was sold at an auction on 1/20/2004, and the guy I'm buying it from claims it was his friends, and he had the motor/ tranny rebuilt, THEN he said that his friend actually rebuilt it, (thats why he can't find the reciepts) and he also stated that he drove it all over the place and towed a boat with it yet since the acution there is not even 3000 more miles on it. I took the money out of the bank yesterday, but now I am very concerned. It is very nice looking, but doesn need minor interior work (heater fan squeals) drivers arm rest hanging down, NO console, cracked windshield, and it will need front end work, So now that I'm over the initial excitement, I can take a step back and really look at this and wonder if it is worth it, It is very sharp looking, but does that justify buying it when it might have an original non-rebuilt motor? You can't prove the rebuild when the guys buddy rebuilt it, even so, he said it wa srebuilt about 90,000 ago, so is it that big of a deal anyway? GRRRRRRRRR I will try and snap a pic today and maybe that will help ya'll to see if it is worth it or not, Thanks I love this forum already!

Old 11-03-2004, 01:36 AM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a steal. I had a similar situation where I bought a 95 Bronco 5.8l 4x4 at for $1300 had to replace oil pan and some brake lines. Other than that it's all Good.

Old 11-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Rx7toys
Senior User
To be or not to be, that is the question

Well I think I am going to tell him if he sells it to me for $2150 I'd do it, At least that would cover a new windshield. Another thing that made me like it even more...., I test drove a 1989 wit ha 351 and a 3 speed tranny (3600 rpm's at 75 mph, how many gallons per mile? ) I called the lot to check the price/ year asking $2575 (one of those "no haggle" lots, dumb) anyway, I said I'd be down to test drive it, well 5 minutes later I get there and they already have it running, nice jesture? NO the whole bronco was shaking at idle, he said it clears up when it warms up, I guess they were trying to avoid me seeing that. also seeing that it was not an OD I knew I wasn't going to buy it, but I test drove it anyway, the front end walks all over the place (almost dangerously) and it was totally gutless! Yet the salesman had no problem telling me "it runs great!" gotta love those honest salesmen! Anyway, the 93 looks better anyway (newer style) and is better in at least 5 ways, and yet is cheaper! OH the 4 digit odemeter on the 89 said 7000, 207,000? The body looks great, interior is ok, the rest? YUCK. Thats the problem in Oregon, You see something that looks great on the outside, but it can be a bag of lemons on the inside. I am originally from Minnesota, where you could see if someone took care of it meaning minimal rust, no leaking fluids etc. But here its pretty tough, cuz nothing gets rusty, unless you live near the ocean. So I think I will spend the cash on the 93, at least I have the body style I want! And I won't feel bad putting money into it since the paint is already new on it. Sometimes you feel dumb putting alot of money into a vehicle that the paint is all faded or chipping off, cuz you know you won't get any dedcent money unless it looks good too. I'll post again later (sorry for the long posts, I work long hours so I have to squeeze everything into 1 post!)

Old 11-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the front end on the one your wanting could cost around $1000 plus to get in tip top shape. Unless you can turn a wrench and this wont be your DD. also because he cant prove the motor was rebuilt i would assume that it has 190k on it period. so i would offer 1800 for it . because honestly those things are costly to fix and with winter coming it wont do you any good sitting in front of your house . I used to live in Central Point and have seen lots of BKO's around for sale, there are a ton up here in Bend for decent prices. I would also find one with a 351 in it that has an overdrive tranny. the gas mileage is the same for either motor but 351 has more torque.

late

Old 11-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Rx7toys
Senior User
Is it just me, or does EVERY bronco need the whole front end fixed? I test drove my 5th bronco today, looks cool (lifted tires, are shot, aftermarket hood, which is broke, 351 motor with OD tranny, I didn't get to drive it cuz the antifreeze was out of it? (dealer lot) it ran for 7 minutes, then the guy shut it off, he forgot about that I guess, plus it was very low on gas, he said I can drive it tomorrow, he also said he drove it up from california, but if he tried to do more than 60 the front end shook, (could be tires too) interior is OK has custom headliner and seat covers 160,000 miles, and a price tag of $3400, talked him down to $3000 without even driving it. it has aftermarket exhaust too, it is custom painted silver (no clue on how much , if any bondo on it, but it is a western states truck. It looks like no matter which one I buy, I am looking at front end work, and the one for $3000 needs tires too, aftermarket big ones $$$$$$ I am not living paycheck to paycheck, but I don't have alot extra either, so I am kinda stuck, by the time I figure it out, they will all be sold! lol

Old 11-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the front end shake could be tires or tierod ends not a major deal really. inspect the bushing on the front end. if they look cracked or squashed that could be a problem not to hard to fix just time consuming. what size tires? i assume 35's thats what ol les schwabys is for hehe. I payed 3k for my 88 it had a worn out 302 that was later swapped for a 351w then the rear end went out so i swapped a 9" under it. so its finally coming together. but i didnt even shop around when i bought the thing and now i wish i had cus i have spent money on it that i shouldnt have needed to.