General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ford's adjustable pedals lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 07:05 PM
Cowboy_351
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-20-2002, 02:29 PM
xp8103
Senior User

Filed under the "What's wrong with this country" heading...

I was reading our local paper yesterday and came across a wire piece regarding a class-action lawsuit brought on Ford by some "do-gooder". The suit? Ford KNEW its adjustable pedals were such a benefit to driver safety because they allow those small of stature to sit further from those awful nasty airbags that they SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT THEM OUT SOONER and some woman was killed in an accident by her airbag because she needed the seat forward to reach the pedals???

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ford, for it's part, made a conscious decision NOT to market them as a safety device for the VERY same reason. If someone was killed by an airbag in a car with adjustable pedals, Ford would be liable for that as well!

That's like suing Ford for getting a speeding ticket because the car CAN go faster than the legal speed limit.....

Talk about crap.

Old 02-20-2002, 03:37 PM
chief3mfc
Junior User

Ford was also sued for negligence several years ago by a moron that reasoned that although his 88 Taurus was not equipped with airbags(they weren't available in ANY Ford at the time) they should have been available because the technology existed since the mid-sixtys.
Our legal system is the best in the world, but there are those that constantly seek to exploit it for thier own benefit.
As we speak, there are over 9400 lawsuits pending against Wal-Mart. There were 4851 suits filed against them last year alone.(Source: Raw Data, Playboy, March 2002 Yes I do read the articles)
Herein lies the problem; anyone can sue anybody for anything. In the case of a suit against Ford, Wal-Mart, Sears, or any other Corporation they are put in the position of defending themselves against this drivel, and guess who pays for it?
OK I'll get off the soap box now

Cliff
Where is my blood pressure medication?

Hoppin' mad!

Old 02-20-2002, 06:58 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There would be a whole lot fewer lawsuits if we went back to the days when the loser had to pay the legal fees when able.

Old 02-20-2002, 08:20 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminds me of the joke about a minister who went to heaven. St. Peter showed him to his quarters which were small, sparten, and didn't have allot of perks. Later that day he ran into a lawyer who's accomodations in heaven were luxiourious: Penthouse with hotub, pool, gym, you name it. When the minister asked St Peter why a man of God got such shabby quarters and this lawyer had a palace, St. Peter responded "we have lots of ministers up here in Heaven, but only one lawyer". I love our country but our legal system is a complete crock of bull crap. Sometimes I miss the dark ages...

Old 02-20-2002, 09:21 PM
76RangerXLT
Senior User

It seems as if everyone is suing ford now. we should sue chevy for being piles of *****