Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge stepping up with the new Power Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WXboy
Ok, I've sat and watched this thread long enough. I'm going to call you out on this one. I just thoroughly tested the new F-150 and the new Dodge Ram, and guess which one I bought? Yep...after 4 Ford trucks I went and bought the Dodge. Why? Well it is a nicer truck...period. The interior on the Dodge is HIGHER quality even to the touch. The exterior looks way better too.

The transmission? I have the new 5-45RFE tranny in my Dodge. I'll put it up against any Ford tranny you can get in a half-ton. This Dodge tranny has a low reverse gear for backing a load up, and super strong internal components rated to handle way more torque than it's subjected to. Not only that, it's covered for 7 years or 70,000 miles, not 3 years or 36,000 like the Ford. To put a warranty like that on a truck takes confidence.

You can say what you want, but Dodge makes a GREAT truck and the sales show it. The Power Wagon....yeah it's a bad momma. You can go get a Ford with locking diffs. front and back and that kind of suspension articulation right off the lot?? I don't hardly think so.

I'm not turning into a troll here...but you guys really need to get your heads out of the sand and look around. There are WAY more new Dodges on the road than there are F-150s.
The looks are purely your opinion, and not shared by most people. I agree, it's sad that Dodge has to put that kind of warranty on their trucks because everyone knew that they were junk and wouldn't buy it unless it was promised that it wouldn't tear up for 7 years. Buying a new Dodge is like breaking a mirror, lol. Also, if the sales show how great the Dodge is, then the Ford must be out of this world. And at the end of September, Ford has sold 697,938 trucks, and their sales are up 11.2% year to date. Dodge has sold 328,929, and their sales are DOWN 1.9%. Someone please explain how there are more Dodges running around than Fords, especially explain the part about WAY more. Congrats on your truck, hope you enjoy it, please stay around here and let us know how it compares over the time that you have it to other trucks that you have had. No flames intended, WXboy, but I disagree all the way.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:56 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 150ford
I have yet to see Dodge introduce anyhting yet that was groundbeaking or made earh shattering news. This is no exception. Dodge cant rest to long onthe products there putting out. They have to keep peoples interest. I know several people that had a Dodge that would never have another one no matter what they put out. They have to get people interested in new products. Loyalty to Dodge is absolutly the worst for a reason. Dodge quality. They dont have it. I think Dodges is like this. You can fool some of the people some off the time but you cant fool them all the time. Dodge is running out of people to fool.
I believe dodge was the first to market with an ext cab. First to market with a crew cab. First to market with 4 doors on an ext cab for a full size pickup. Not saying I like the hemi but it is rare to have an engine that makes 1 hp per c.i.. So I guess its how you look at it. They now have the fastest production pickup in the world. This all seems very groundbreaking to me.

Not to mention. The first powerwagon was bad to the bone. I applaud them for having the kahones to build a special interest vehicle. They are also in cahoots with the military designing a hybrid diesel pickup. That is awesome.

Somebody is still buying them dodges, regardless of quality concerns. Otherwise they woulda stopped making them.

Is the lightning faster? I figured a 500hp truck should outrun a 380hp truck. Is there any tests?

Old 10-08-2004, 03:57 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
"I garauntee that it's the same deal with components on that Dodge."

Because one scenario turned out one way, an almost completely different scenario will have the same conclusion? You make guarantees based on this sort of logic? Bilstein has long been known to make high quality OE shocks I see no reason it would change w/ this application(unlike the Rancho/FX4 situation). The other components will definately be bad why? Just a gut feeling? The 12,000LB Warns on the H1's seem to be doing just fine. Alcoa is well known for high quality wheels(though I don't know of any other OE apps.). AAM seems to know what they're doing as well.

Anyway, here's a question that may get this thread back on track. Does anyone know of other vehicles/diffs. that have both the lock and LS capabilities?

/back to work

Old 10-08-2004, 06:02 AM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Other OEM applications of Aloca Wheels: Ford trucks, from Ranger through Super Duty, very common OE on heavy trucks also...
AAM has been around for a while... Ever heard of the 10 bolt, 12 bolt, or 14 bolt? Yup, they're the company that builds GM's axles.

The only electronic locking/limited slip diff I can think of off hand is the Detroit Electrac.
I can assure you that putting one of those in a F250 would render at the least the axle warranty null and void.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Acutally it wouldn't void the warranty unless the locker is what caused failure. That would be illegal. There are only two things that can render a warranty null and void: having the vehicle being declared a total loss, and odometer fraud.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:41 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow,

So since Dodge puts aftermarket parts into it's truck, instead of an outside coversion company, it's some how ground breaking?

I have nothing against the truck, in fact I'd like it even more if it had a better suited engine, or a diesel option.

I have a problem with the idea that this is revolutionary.

Cheers!

Old 10-08-2004, 11:07 AM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Magnum Question

Maybe it's me, and I'm not flaming it, but I just see the "Magnum" is nothing more than an old lady station wagon. I mean I guess I just don't understand the concept. I would think if you bought a station wagon that you obviously aren't concerned about going fast. Anyone else agree??

Best of Luck,
Corey

Old 10-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RealMenPowerstroke!
Maybe it's me, and I'm not flaming it, but I just see the "Magnum" is nothing more than an old lady station wagon. I mean I guess I just don't understand the concept. I would think if you bought a station wagon that you obviously aren't concerned about going fast. Anyone else agree??

Best of Luck,
Corey
What does any of that have to do with the PowerWagon's position in the marketpalce.

Start your own thread...don't highjack others.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:00 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tdister

Because one scenario turned out one way, an almost completely different scenario will have the same conclusion? You make guarantees based on this sort of logic?
By this point, we're all aware what Dodge is all about and how they operate, and quality certainly must not be one of their strong worries, as it hasn't been up to this point, I don't see any reason to believe it's going to change. And no, it's not a completely different situation, it's a factory branded part that comes stock on a truck, and it's not the same as you go buy. Dodge doesn't sell as many trucks as Ford, therefore they don't make as much money. If Ford brands parts such as shocks to remain profitable, it's a safe bet that since Dodge is doing anything they can to even be 1/10th of the truck maker that Ford is, they're going to do the same thing. Most major auto manufacturers do this, it's no industry secret, and Dodge isn't so head and shoulders above everyone else on quality that they don't cut corners the way everyone else does. If they were, they would have had an automatic that you could get 10k miles out of.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:04 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Wow,

So since Dodge puts aftermarket parts into it's truck, instead of an outside coversion company, it's some how ground breaking?

It's definitely an upgrade that would make me feel better about the quality and durability of those components. I wouldn't call it revolutionary or groundbreaking.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:31 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Yea I wonder if it comes w/an aftermarket transmissionThat was bad, I'm sorry, but I had to. The little voice in my head made me!!

Old 10-08-2004, 06:25 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
It's not bad, that's a good thing to point out. There's no reason to believe that Dodges newest trucks will be any better.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:50 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Just as a side, I saw that the pricing for this will be $36,600, yes Thirty-Six Thousand Six Hundred Dollars and No SENSE(If you buy a Dodge, LOL JK) for the manual tranny version Now how many of these do you think they will sell???

Last edited by biggieou; 10-08-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:34 PM
BillF250P
Cross-Country
Tsk,Tsk....

Guys, Guys, The truck is not bad. It's easy to bash it because it doesn't wear our beloved blue oval-(sorry-BLUE OVAL) , but what you're missing is the significance of it. What's the first thing a new Wrangler owner does to his Jeep to make it trail worthy? Larger , more aggressive tires and locking diffs. So Chrysler answers with the Wrangler Rubicon. Dealers can't get 'em fast enuf. That a manufacturer would build AND guarantee a vehicle with these types of modifications bespeaks very well, I think. When I bought my '02 PSD Crewcab 4x4, my "OFF ROAD" package consisted of vinyl stickers on the rear Bedsides- Oh yes, and a skid plate that serves no purpose because there are no off road tires! You show up with a problem on a vehicle that you modified with lockers, suspension lift, winches, and such- the first thing they're looking to do is weasel out of the warranty. I've been Ford since the sixties, so I'd never even consider buying anything else, but I hope Dodge sells more of them than they anticipate. I hope they're hugely successful. Then maybe I'll be able to schlepp down to my friendly local Ford dealer and buy a 250 PSD with skid plates that are actually functional.
The irony of all this is that it's coming at a time when off-roading areas are in serious danger of being declared off limits to anything motorized.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 PM
biggieou
Elder User
The thing is, with gas prices soon becoming skyhigh, and like Bill said, off-roading areas in danger, is it feasable to pay 40 grand for something to off road with it? I think with that price tag, they wont sell very many.
And as far as you guys saying its significant yadda yadda yadda. I understand what your saying, I just think the diehard Ford in me says thats the difference between a Ford guy and a Dodge guy is a dodge guy has to buy something from the factory like that. A Ford guy buy's a standard truck, puts some love, time and hard work into it, and has twice the truck that Dodge will be, and be proud of it. Once again, that was the evil little voice in my head!!

Quick Reply: Dodge stepping up with the new Power Wagon