1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New trucks with $$$ cutting things missing

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
New trucks with $$$ cutting things missing

I picked up my 2005 King Ranch last Friday, today it cost my dealer $275 to add the underhood blanket and all four rear inner fender shields. The parts came in and I had to show the tech today how to install them. He paid, so I did not get a receipt with the individule prices.

Other missing things in the Premimum King Ranch with manditory Lariat Luxuary package. BTW KR also requires 18 inch wheels that are shod with crappy continental tires.

The twin sun visors are back to just one.

The single CD and the 6 CD versions of the radio are new and both the same except the changer. Gone are all the main menu choices. I liked my 01 radio ability to display/list and search by station type, like Jazz, Talk, Rock, Pop etc. T'aint there no more.

You get fade, balance, Bass, Treble, hours, min, and auto preset.... thats it!

The new glove box does not have a light and the main glove box light is deleted. I looked and can not find the pig tail nor mounting boss. The switch hole is still molded in.

The front doors do not have a light in the red lens any more. Same in rear doors. My 01 did not have lights in the rear just the front two.

The data info in the overhead console has been moved to the center of the instrument cluster and has more info but not all at once, you have to scroll and set. The overhead is now just a cheap plastic cubby and sunglasses holder.

There are grab bars every where. Four are sort of wraped in leather, two on the A pillers, and two on the B pillers between the doors. There is also the old style grab bar above each door EXCEPT the drivers door... curious

The cheap garbage bag holder is back for the fifth(?) year. Come on Ford ain't you been hearing us bitch about that stupidity long enough? At least you could have put it back to a ashtray or cup holder.

The wood grain trim is plastic, shiny, and don't really look much like "dark Teak". No fake grain texture, and the whole layout is not balanced accross the front dash with three of the four mid level air vents black and the far right passenger vent tan.

The gages look pretty good at night but the brightness of the LEDs and backlights is too dim to see well during rainy or semi light conditions. Yes Virginia I turned them all the way up with the cheesy roller rheostat and the overhead light clicks on before you can begin to have good brightness with the dash and radio lights.

I have spent all day on the web trying to find some brand of gauges that are backlit similar to the Ford new design. I keep coming up with brands that are very expensive (whats up with $130 for a tranny temp gauge?), wrong size (2 5/8ths), or don't have the selection of gages I want... ARRRRRG!

Ok OK! I still love my new King Ranch, but I am ticked off at Ford for having a premimum option package and not letting me have total choice in colors, tires, and at least a stinking glove box light.

While I am ranting... I like the "on steering wheel controls" but hate Fords stock radios. Sure hope I can find a brand that will let me integrate the steering wheel controls.

On edit.... I got the dealer to fund the new hood liner and plastic crap in the rear by simply stating that I was going to walk away from my new ordered truck if Ford was that cheap! The only option I did not order was the moon roof.

Last edited by Fredvon4; 09-06-2004 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:12 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fredvon4
The hood blanket, inner fender liners, glove box light, and door lights were de-contented midway through the 2004 model year. This change occurred on all Job build 2 trucks.

Sounds like you lucked out and found a dealer who would add some of these items at their cost.

Old 09-06-2004, 11:38 PM
FORD352V8
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you bought a luxury commuter and not a workin mans truck. Im sorry but how can you complain about that stuff? My 66 doeseant evern have an interior its just steel! At least you got carpet! I personally buy trucks to work. They are utilatrain machines, they get maintained but they get abused and beat up because you have to to get the job done. CD plaer isnt even that important too me. I want all those goodies in a car not a work vehicle. Thats why I own Fords because when they dont let me down when Im working and reliaing on them. I relaie on them to support my family. I am a farmer and realie on them that much, when I get in to the truck I expect it to start I could care less about a heated seat. Not flaming you man, just trying to give you a different perscpetive. And by the way, congrats on the truck!

Old 09-07-2004, 12:22 AM
adunham
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FORD352V8 -

A valid point, but here's my perspective: Up until last month I hadn't owned anything newer than a 1970 in six years. I have a 1962 Unibody and before that I had a 1970 Bronco, both of which I used as dual purpose vehicles (work and for getting around town). I weld and I live in Phoenix. Welding is bad enough in this state during the summer, but imagine finishing a job, then having to get into a vehicle with no heat insulation, no radio, no ac, no anything, in 114 degree weather and drive clear across the valley in traffic to another job, where you must get out in the sun and weld once again. Not only that, at night (when it is still 96 degrees) I'd have to endure it just to go out. Every time I'd arrive at my destination with a soaked shirt! I just couldn't stand it anymore. So I decided it was time to get something to pull double duty that actually provided a little comfort between jobs. By double duty I mean a vehicle that could work during the day, and not look like an econo box when I'm out and about. I'm sure North Carolina gets hot, but you haven't experienced hot until you've baked outside in Arizona in late July

-aaron

Old 09-07-2004, 06:31 AM
Edmo
Senior User
Fredvon,

Congrats on the new truck! Which motor did you get?

Edmo

Old 09-07-2004, 07:01 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD352V8
Sounds like you bought a luxury commuter and not a workin mans truck. Im sorry but how can you complain about that stuff? My 66 doeseant evern have an interior its just steel! At least you got carpet! I personally buy trucks to work. They are utilatrain machines, they get maintained but they get abused and beat up because you have to to get the job done. CD plaer isnt even that important too me. I want all those goodies in a car not a work vehicle. Thats why I own Fords because when they dont let me down when Im working and reliaing on them. I relaie on them to support my family. I am a farmer and realie on them that much, when I get in to the truck I expect it to start I could care less about a heated seat. Not flaming you man, just trying to give you a different perscpetive. And by the way, congrats on the truck!
That is why Ford makes:

XL
XLT
Lariat
KR

I agree completely with your comments if the man had bought an XL, but he paid significantly more to get the KR and for Ford to cheap out the interior on this sort of premium truck is stupid. Some people like all the doo-dads (I'm a mid-level XLT myself) and are willing to pay to get what they want.

MSRP of nearly $50k and no light in the glovebox.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:54 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes ,I agree with your rants!
how about this list of things that should be there also for that much money!
grease fittings on everything ball joints ,carrier bearing ,u-joints ,slip joints,real functioning guages,complete choice of color combinations !

and a longer warranty in the driveline area or bumper to bumper coverage.

They have gone to cheaper side !
Hope the truck treats you right ,for that kind of money!

Rich

Old 09-07-2004, 12:02 PM
TheSnowback
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A gripe I have that I havent seen anyone mention yet is the lack of an option for a satillite radio. I have the indash 6CD, and it is fine, but how about some XM or Sirius controls built in. I spend most of the day in my truck and need all the entertainment I can get. Tired of listneing to Bush/Kerry ad's every 2 minutes.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Paul Garvin
Junior User
On the cheap

I must admit that I was pretty surprised the a near 40K did not have a glove box light.

Old 09-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

I just want to add that we all understand that MSRP and the invoice $$$ we pay are two different animals.

That said, my truck had an MSRP at over $47K and with PSD 6.0 would have been $52K and change.

I had gotten so used to these "deletions, reductions" that I completely forgot the long list Forty Fords mentioned.... don't get me started on the lunacy on not providing "maintenance items".

I love my truck, I love my truck, (anger management class taught me how to get back to my "happy" place) I love my truck, I love my truck....

Now really folks, I don't want any body to ever get the idea that I am ready to run over to the dark side. I did get exactly the truck built the way I wanted this time. I am ticked that I am willing to pay good money for exterior and interior colors/trim levels and and I think Ford should be a LOT more accomodating at this price level.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 PM
jorzac
Junior User
I know exactly how you feel Fredvon4. I traded my 03 6.0 for a 04 6.0 only because FMC failed to build a reliable truck the first time. Then to bring it home and discover all the things that were deleted so FMC could put more money in their pocket at my expense. The kicker to this whole thing is the base price had gone up approx. $1400. I think they have lost focus of customer satisfaction.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:18 PM
68 351 bronc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fredvon4, So how about the TorqueShift behind the V10? The 3 valver and 4.30s?
I would like to trade up to the newer model!

Old 09-07-2004, 11:39 PM
FORD352V8
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha, my 8 year old truck isnt that cheap! Ive got A/C too! And a FM radio! and a casseater player! Yeehah this thing is loaded!

Old 09-08-2004, 05:58 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jorzac
I know exactly how you feel Fredvon4. I traded my 03 6.0 for a 04 6.0 only because FMC failed to build a reliable truck the first time. Then to bring it home and discover all the things that were deleted so FMC could put more money in their pocket at my expense. The kicker to this whole thing is the base price had gone up approx. $1400. I think they have lost focus of customer satisfaction.
Where do you think that the rebate money came from?

Old 09-08-2004, 06:01 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

68 351 bronc

I got a gut feeling this is the last power upgrade Ford will do for the V10 powered SuperDuty. Someday in the future the Hybrid versions will keep it similar.

This new power package eliminates most of the defeciencies of the 310 HP 4R100 versions. And there were not many things wrong with that pairing. I am posting down in the V10 forum on these isues.

In a nut shell this new truck is peppier, faster of the line, the TorqueShift takes a little getting used to because it has smaller upgear shift ratio changes.

I have done two days of easy trailer towing to get her used to the load during breakin and this truck (with modest foot feed) starts off the line with smooth even power and acceleration and is very impressive.

Not trying to start a PSD V10 war but I think this power package SIGNIFICANTLY closes the torque gap and is a impressive $600 vs. $5000 choice.

I tow heavy now (very close to max weight) and almost had to opt for the oil burner but really like smooth and quiet. This truck is better than Caddilac quiet and has plenty of power!

She do like the fuel, this first couple of days I have not gotten better than 11 MPG empty fast 2 75mph and 8 MPG towing slow @ 65 mph

Quick Reply: New trucks with $$$ cutting things missing