1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

tung oil question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:03 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I am into the Grandfather clock bed wood look, so the following is not something I have actually tried on my truck. But I can't help but believe it would be similar to the tung oil route. Why not use tranparent oil based deck and fence paint? It is definitely weather resistant and touches up well. Should work like Thompson's water seal but you can get the look of stain. I would definitely use transparent rather than solid stain. The solid looks a lot like regular paint to me. Solid is very UV resistent, but does not look like wood to me. The transparent soaks in nice and works just like interior stains. You could recoat in a matter of minutes every few years. I pressure wash my deck and retaining wall every three years or so before I recoat, and it looks just like new again. Just a thought.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:46 PM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats what this product is: (from their ad)

NO OTHER exterior wood stain offers the beautiful sheen and durable protection of Superdeck. Superdeck’s three oil finish contains linseed and Tung oils that offer superior durability that enhances the natural beauty of real wood, while protecting against harsh elements that can fade and damage exposed wood.
SUPERDECK contains the highest quality transparent oxide pigments to keep your wood looking like new with long lasting color. Superdeck’s high solids formula penetrates deep into the wood’s surface to lubricate and strengthen wood and form a superior water barrier.

ONE COAT of Superdeck is all that is needed for new wood-saving you time and money. Superdeck is professional grade with satisfaction guaranteed every time.

SUPERDECK EXTERIOR TRANSPARENT STAIN offers 10 beautiful wood tones. Visit your local hardware store for a free stain sample!

WHERE TO USE: Use on decks, siding, fences, shakes, natural wood and log homes, outdoor furniture, gazebos, spa cabinets, pressure treated and other exterior wood surfaces where it is important to enhance and protect the wood's beauty. Excellent for hardwoods too! CLICK HERE FOR TIPS!

"I use this product on all my decks and it is excellent, recoats easy, looks good, tranparent as well as colors. I am thinking about trying it on my bed wood, what do you all think?"

http://www.superdeck.com/1900spec.htm

Old 09-09-2004, 07:12 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Packrat

It looks good to me. Contains pretty much the same ingredients that Olympic deck products have. I'd still stay away from the solids though. They act too much like paint to me. Surfaces scratches, fine cracking along the grain lines. Chipping and peeling etc. The transparents look and perform more like linseed and tung oil. At least on a deck or my shed doors they do.