Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Help! Rear end sits low on new leaf springs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 03:27 AM
Jet Lizard
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Rear end sits low on new leaf springs!

Hello everybody, I got pretty specific question that I cannot resolve by myself. Pleas help, I need an information to have an argument in negotiations with my service-shop.

Yesterday the shop replaced rear spring leafs on my '93 Explorer. RH old spring had two leafs cracked so this replacement was the only correct option.

They promised to install new original Ford leaf springs (part number F1TZ 5560-A, A means heavy duty spring, 4 leafs). Then I got my car back, I noticed that rear end sits low, approx 2 inches below than it used to be). Also I found that the springs aren't original (but they are new, at least, dammit). The labels (stikers on top leaf) read "Triangle Springs 43-925". Also I noticed that its leafs are thinner than leafs on old springs (the shop returned old springs).

That's the story. I will try to solve the problem but I need some information as arguments.

Here are my questions, please respond:
1. Am I correct saying that aftermarket springs (not extra-performance parts, of course) aren't an equivalent for original parts?

2. Could anyone find part description (leaf thickness, height w/out load to main plate etc) for both parts, F1TZ 5560-A and Triangle Springs 43-925, or at least conclude how any of these parts could affect rear end's ground clearance? I searched the WWW and there are no results... I want to be sure that installing original leaf springs wouldn't lower rear end.

3. Could you measure on your 91-94 Explorer the distance between top of the wheel well and top of the rear wheel, along with tyre size? Mine car has the following dimensions:
- with old leaf springs: 3-3.5 inches at 265/70R15 (or 30.5x10.5R15)
- with new springs: 1-1.5 inches at the same wheels

4. Considering the numbers I posted above, could you conlude that my truck has something like bodylift, I mean I am not sure if P.O. installed reinforced spring leafs or something to increase ground clearance and now I have the problem due to installing the stock part instead of modified part.

5. I noticed that front end alignment changed after installing new springs at rear end. Though I haven't had a time to check it at the shop to be sure. Am I right, and front end alignment could get bad after lowering back end? I guess at least caster and toe-in should change, but not sure...

Thanks in advance,
Yuri.

PS Hope that original springs are available here in Moscow. I called several shops, they all require from one to three weeks to deliver the parts from US...

Old 08-13-2004, 06:44 AM
K2JJB
Elder User
Wow, that is rough. I can not help you with your springs in particular but I can tell you that some of the non-OEM springs are better than the ones that came on the truck. At least that is the case on my 97 Mountaineer. Had the springs replaced at a reputable spring shop and they asked me how I used the vehicle, I mentioned hauling crap around and towing sometimes. They then asked me if a soft ride was needed, the answer to that was no. What resulted was a pair of leaf springs with 6 leaves each (versus the sagging four per side before). The truck rides a lot better now and the rear end goes not sag at all. All of this and it cost me the same as the dealer had quote to do just one side!

I guess the summary is that if they are done right I see no reason to not go with after market springs. You just need to get the right ones.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:28 AM
95EXPLEDBAU
Junior User
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but do you mind me asking who did it and how much they charged? My X has a serious butt sag and I was going to get newer spring from the salvage yard. I see you're from NY area, I'm in Dutchess County.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Jet Lizard
Senior User
K2JJB, thanks for your answer! Yes, I heard such opinion and now I'd rather agree. Aftermarket parts may be better than stock original parts.

Today I visited the shop, and we together examined the old springs. It seems that old springs are HD ones.

Also I noticed that right-hand side of the rear end sits lower than left-hand side by about 0,5-1 inch. Then, we tried to roll the car, and concluded that rear shocks (stock) are nearly dead.

So the shop says that rear end became lowered due to faulty rear shocks.

Why they installed non-original springs? I asked them. They say they first installed original springs (as I found F1TZ-5560-B), but the rear end sat too low. They tried those non-original springs, and concluded that is OK. The shop says these Triangle Springs are equal to F1TZ-5560-A.

Then we checked CPD2000 (Ford original parts electronic catalogue), and Found that my car may use both original springs: F1TZ-5560-A and F1TZ-5560-B. First has "U" class and the second has "V" class. Shop says that U class springs are stronger and consust of four leaves; "V"-class springs are weaker and consist only of three leaves. The third type of springs, F1TZ-5560-C (W class) is discontinued now and is not available for order (CPD2000 confirms that).

Also shop manager added that he tried to order these W-class springs, but he got somewhat steep price and he didn't risk to buy these. He said that springs has 5 leaves and are even stronger than two others.

Also we checked the sticker on drivers door, in "springs" section it reads "N U". This made them think that they installed correct (though not original) springs. Though this make me think that those guys in the shop aren't so competent. If I were a one of them, I'd checked that sticker for spring code first -- just before installing new springs.

Also we noticed (compared front end height with several other Explorers) that my truck has HD shock in front, probably "white" Gabriel shocks, and its front end sits higher than on other same cars.

Well, I have the questions remaining, please respond:
1. Could anyone compare this given Triangle springs class with Ford classes?
2. May dead shock adsorbers let the rear end sit lower?
3. May I expect that after getting new rear Heavy Duty shocks installed that rear end will raise a bit?

Thank you in advance,
Yuri,
Moscow, Russia