1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ignition Cylinder/Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 06:05 PM
ifyrlucky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Cylinder/Door Locks

I have a 1959 ford f100 that I don't have a set of keys for. I ordered new lock cylinders for the ignition and the doors, but I'm not sure how to put them in. Does anyone know how to do this?

Nick

Old 08-06-2004, 10:28 PM
dlister
Junior User
The doors are easy. basicly there is a clip holding the door locks in that is located under the door seal and a rod is connected in side the door. The ignition is going to be tougher as you need the key to pop out the cylinder. You could remove ignition switch and take to lock smith or buy a new switch. Other than that I don't know

Old 08-07-2004, 07:13 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you take the ign switch out of the truck, you can remove the key cyl. There's a small hole on the body of the switch that locks the cyl in. The key part has a small pin the pops up when you turn the key over to the "on" position. It locks into that hole. I've taken a small punch and driven that pin back down. Just tap it down and the cyl will come out. It wrecks the cyl, but you don't need it anyway. You just slide the new one in with the key turned over to "acc" and put it in and turn the key to the on position and the pin pops up and locks it in.
You can take the locks out of the door and look for a key code on the body of the lock. Take a piece of fine sandpaper and clean up the lock. You are looking for a key number that starts with 2 letters "FA" and 4 numbers. A locksmith can cut a key. I've taken just the door cyl to a locksmith and he has decoded it and made a key to fit the ign and doors.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 08-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Barry how much did that cost you?

Originally Posted by barry
If you take the ign switch out of the truck, you can remove the key cyl. There's a small hole on the body of the switch that locks the cyl in. The key part has a small pin the pops up when you turn the key over to the "on" position. It locks into that hole. I've taken a small punch and driven that pin back down. Just tap it down and the cyl will come out. It wrecks the cyl, but you don't need it anyway. You just slide the new one in with the key turned over to "acc" and put it in and turn the key to the on position and the pin pops up and locks it in.
You can take the locks out of the door and look for a key code on the body of the lock. Take a piece of fine sandpaper and clean up the lock. You are looking for a key number that starts with 2 letters "FA" and 4 numbers. A locksmith can cut a key. I've taken just the door cyl to a locksmith and he has decoded it and made a key to fit the ign and doors.

Barry

50 F-1