6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0L modified exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Rambo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0L modified exhaust sound

Does anyone have some sound clips of a modified exhaust system for the 6.0L? I'm in the mood to put on a louder exhaust, but I'd really like to hear what it would sound like first. Maybe someone knows of a good site that has diesel sound clips? I've been looking but I can't find anything...

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:35 PM
CruisnPhantom
Senior User
http://magnaflow.com/04sound/trucks.htm - Middle of the page - Magnaflow's Exhaust System. The truck that the system is on is a 2003, and the 2003 has the higher pitched turbo whistle...I think...

Old 07-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
There's a new guy at work here who as a Dodge with a bigger turbo, injectors, and 5" turbo-back exhaust with no cat or muffler.

When I first heard it coming, I turned around and looked for the semi truck but it was only his Dodge.

That would be too loud for me to deal with on a daily basis, and especially when I'm towing the trailer on a trip. That much extra ambient noise would get really old pretty quick.

BTW, he claims that he's making 800+ lb*ft of torque.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Rambo
Senior User
Hmmm, not trying to be rude, so dont take this wrong, but I'm more interested in actual sound clips than experiences. I've heard all the stories, but I'd like to actually hear the sound itself and judge for myself whether or not I like it.

I agree though, that would be too loud for me, I dont want something that sounds like a semi. I'd like something without a lot of whistle, but that has a good deep throaty sound.

Once again, not trying to be rude, but I need to hear some clips!

Old 07-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rambo
Hmmm, not trying to be rude, so dont take this wrong, but I'm more interested in actual sound clips than experiences. I've heard all the stories, but I'd like to actually hear the sound itself and judge for myself whether or not I like it.

I agree though, that would be too loud for me, I dont want something that sounds like a semi. I'd like something without a lot of whistle, but that has a good deep throaty sound.

No problem, understand completely. I'll try to get some audio of him next week and post it somewhere.

It does sound kind of cool, just too much for me . . .

Old 07-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CruisnPhantom
http://magnaflow.com/04sound/trucks.htm - Middle of the page - Magnaflow's Exhaust System. The truck that the system is on is a 2003, and the 2003 has the higher pitched turbo whistle...I think...
Wow I like that, not loud at all but a cool sound!

I gotta get one of those!

Old 07-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster

First go out and cut off your muffler with a hack saw. This may give you a sample of what you want. If it is the right sound, you can make it a deeper lower tone by enlarging the size of the pipe. Part of the big diesel sound is the huge pipes and stacks they blow through.
Daryl's buddy had the 5" and no muffler which gave him his sound. You can vary the volume and resonance by exit location,ie, longer or shorter pipes.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Rambo
Senior User
Thanks. I've done a lot of exhaust work on my previous trucks, so I'm no stranger to what causes what sound at what tone. I bent all my own pipes for my F150 and welded it up myself one weekend. Over the course of a couple months, I changed exit locations, diameter/length of tip, and then finally went with dual exhaust. So it isn't as if I dont know anything about exhaust, I'd just like to hear some sound clips of people who have already done it, so I dont have to chop up my exhaust and figure it out myself. I'd rather not start cutting on my $30+k truck when someone has already done it and I can benefit from their experience.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Thanks. I've done a lot of exhaust work on my previous trucks, so I'm no stranger to what causes what sound at what tone. I bent all my own pipes for my F150 and welded it up myself one weekend. Over the course of a couple months, I changed exit locations, diameter/length of tip, and then finally went with dual exhaust. So it isn't as if I dont know anything about exhaust, I'd just like to hear some sound clips of people who have already done it, so I dont have to chop up my exhaust and figure it out myself. I'd rather not start cutting on my $30+k truck when someone has already done it and I can benefit from their experience.
OK but we never know who is on the other end of the computer. Most people have never fabricated anything.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Rambo
Senior User
That was my first attempt at a complete exhaust system. I've welded since high school, but never anything I really NEEDED to rely on. I did pretty good, but I know I definitely had some leaks. Some of the pieces I had to weld on the truck instead of welding them on the bench then putting them on the truck, so it was pretty hard to get a good solid weld on the top of the pipes with only about 2 inches of room between them and the frame.

But all in all, it was fun and a good learning experience. I learned that I'd rather learn from someone else's trials and get a shop to put on my exhaust when I decide what I want

Old 07-30-2004, 06:08 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
Alright.....those video's are pretty stinkin' close to what a straight piped truck sounds like too! But the straight pipe gives a little bit more of the v8 grumble at higher RPM's... :drool: I think I'm going to go for a drive now! w00t!!

Old 07-31-2004, 07:44 PM
alex67rs
Freshman User
Hello everyone I have a 04 6.0 with the banks turbo back exhaust system and am not happy with the sound it produces. I am looking for the semi truck sound with the turbo whine. does anyone have any suggestions on how i can achieve this sound from my truck?

Old 07-31-2004, 08:35 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
Dump your Cat and Muffler. :headbang: You'll love it! Big whine, Big V8 sound!