1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Attention Wiring Experts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 08:23 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Attention Wiring Experts...

I've just about got the wiring figured out on my F-3 project with exception of one item. I can't seem to find the "accessory" wire. In GM columns this wire is usually brown and in Ford usually Black with a green stripe. The wiring diagram I'm following says the alternator 'R' and 'F' wires should be connected to the accessory side of the switch. Does anyone happen to know what color the wire is for the accessory side of the switch? The column is an 87 Chrysler 5th Avenue???

Also, I want to run an alternator light. Since I am using a GM alternator, can I just run the 'R' and 'F' wire on the alternator back to a light on the dash and power it with current from a 12V source hot only when switch is "on"?

Vern

Old 07-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Glackowitz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wires in a newer GM column are:

Battery = Red
Ignition 1 = Pink
Ignition 2 = White
Ignition 3 = orange
Accesory 1 = Brown
Starter 1 = Yellow
Key Sense = Light Green
Horn = tan

Heres a link to Painless wiring Manual
http://www.painlessperformance.com/M...0501Manual.pdf

for the Chrysler....
CHRYSLER FIFTH AVE 83-89
WIRE COLORS LOCATION
12 VOLTS CONSTANT RED IGN HARNESS
IGNITION 1 D BLU IGN HARNESS
IGNITION 2 N/A IGN HARNESS
IGNITION 3 N/A IGN HARNESS
ACCESSORY 1 BLK IGN HARNESS
ACCESSORY 2 NA IGN HARNESS
STARTER YEL IGN HARNESS

Hope that helps a little

Glack

Last edited by Glackowitz; 07-27-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:10 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Glack,

That helps some. I was afraid it might be black. I knew older Chrysler columns used black for accessory, but didn't know what the 83-89 5th Avenue used. In my opinion using black for accessory wasn't a very good idea by Mopar since all ground wires are also black. I'll recheck all the black wires and try to separate the accessory wire from all the ground wires.

Incidentally, for all you folks out there comtemplating the use of a Mopar column, there are two drawbacks I have discovered with this column which in my opinion does not make it a great column for a rod. (1) There is no neutral safety switch. Mopar, in it's infinite wisdom installed it directly in the transmission instead of on the column. (2) The column has separate brake and turn signal circuitry as opposed to GM's integrated brake and turn signal circuitry. What does that mean you say? This means you have to run separate bulbs or taillights for brake lights and turn signals. I spent two days trying to figure out that one.

I fabricated a neutral safety switch using an old lever styled brake light switch but it will mean starting in park only which is never good because if the truck ever stalls in the middle of a road somewhere I'd have to come to a complete stop and put the transmission in park to restart while traffic is bearing down upon me. If anyone has a low cost solution (read that as junk yard solution) for a neutral safety switch I'd like to hear it. Since neutral is right in the middle of the shift pattern I cannot determine how to make it start in neutral only or neutral AND park.

If I had it to do over, I think I'd go GM or Ford on the column. They are much more rodder friendly...ahhh the trials and tribulations of a rod builder!

Vern

Old 07-28-2004, 07:29 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
Vern

I have a ford column that was in my truck when I bought it. It has the column shift and the attachment for the steering gear (I would replace that part) and the wires are marked. My 56 has a Volare frt susp. If you want it you can have it for whatever the shipping costs are. I live in Mich near Ann Arbor.

Chuck

Old 07-28-2004, 07:41 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Chuck,

That's very kind of you to offer, but I'm too far into the Chrysler column now to go back. I'll eventually get it going. I'm in no hurry. Thanks...

Vern

Old 07-28-2004, 09:20 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
So GM never put a neutral safety switch in there tranny's? I just love my AOD with a built in neutral safety switch and backup lights.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Paso1
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vern I'll give you "Food for thought" re: neutral safety switchs. I have various anti theft options on my differant collection or vehicles. One question I have to you is do you Loan out your rods??. I don't . If you were to put a toggle switch within arms reach You are the only one that needs to know that the switch needs to be tripped in order for it to be started. This works good with push buttons also, you have to push that button at the same time as you start. anyone trying to steal your vehicle needs this sequence to succesfully make it run. Using your example of the car stalling all you would have to do was trip the switch and turn the key as you roll down the street. I'm from the era of no neutral safety switchs on any model. I wired a friends electric fuel pump to a toggle switch when it was stolen he found it abandoned a few blocks away after the carb bowl was empty.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:27 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
neutral safety switch

Vern...

best I can remember... on my old '72 F-100 there was a n.s.s. mounted low on the column that was actuated by a pin the was attached to the inner shift linkage tube and worked this slide switch... I know this cause mine broke and it cost too much to replace ...so I just jumped around it and could start in any gear..

ANYWAY it was a slide switch that only had contacts when the shifter was in park or in neutral. the switch had slotted screw holes that gave you a little adjustment for play in the linkage... you might find one of the old switches and rig up something with the shift linkage under the floor ???

Just some food for thought... Paso1's idea with a momentary push button sounds like a good option also...

later

john

Old 07-29-2004, 04:49 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
John,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a couple of GM column switches which work just like your 72 F-100 switch but I was unable to figure out a way to use them on the Chrysler column.

Paso,

Thanks. You have given me a great idea. I'm going to look at putting a toggle switch under the dash to OVERRIDE the neutral safety switch. All I'd have to do is run a wire from each side of the neutral switch to the toggle. That way, if it ever quits working OR if the engine stalls at an inopportune time (is there ever an opportune time?) then I can flip the toggle switch and start it in any gear.

Nathan,

Every GM neutral safety switch I've ever seen has been on the column, but I'm not familiar with anything after the mid 80s.

Vern

Old 07-29-2004, 05:36 AM
boilerbots
Senior User
If you have an automatic transmission why worry about a neutral safety switch. If you have your foot on the brake it isn't going anywhere even if it was in gear.

I didn't put a safety switch on my Bronco when I swapped in an AODE and I think it is convenient to start it while still in gear when I am off-road.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:15 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
"If you have an automatic transmission why worry about a neutral safety switch. If you have your foot on the brake it isn't going anywhere even if it was in gear."

If my mother posted this forum she would tell you.... "Cause the guy that owns the drugstore gets really upset when you drive the Galaxie 500 through the front store window". A NSS is a very good idea for that one time when you think it is in Park, and don't press down on the brake quite hard enough.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:30 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by boilerbots
If you have an automatic transmission why worry about a neutral safety switch. If you have your foot on the brake it isn't going anywhere even if it was in gear..
I guess if I were going to use the truck only for off-road, then it might not matter as much. But, I don't necessarily have my foot on the brake every time I start a vehicle with an antomatic transmission. Perhaps I should, but it is not a habit I've formed. I have also found that during the building stages you often find yourself working on something under the hood and need to start the engine to check something without actually getting in and sitting in the seat behind the wheel...you just reach through the window and turn the ignition. This will prevent a potential disaster that could result from something like that. Finally, I fully intend to have this truck safety inspected by the NSRA, and that organization requires a neutral safety switch to pass the inspection. If NSRA requires it, then I'm pretty sure it's a necessary safety precaution...

Vern

Old 07-29-2004, 01:54 PM
boilerbots
Senior User
Ahhh Safety, I pay her a visit sometimes.

I guess it boils down to how many stupid things you expect your vehicle to protect you from doing (besides the safety inspection problem). My 2000 Silverado with automatic requires you to put your foot on the brake to shift from park. My girlfriends 99 Ford Ranger manual tranny requires you to push the clutch in to crank the engine.

One day you might have to wiz in the ashtray for a urine test before you can touch the steering wheel.....

None of these technologies are excuses for brains

Oh and I always put blocks around my wheels if I am going to work on my vehicle while the engine is running. I rebuilt my automatic transmission and after seeing how wimpy the Park locking mechanism is I don't trust it anymore.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:41 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Bots,

I guess we've all done stupid things at one time or another...me included. The blocks are a good idea too. The fact that I'm alive today is a testament to keeping safety issues at the forefront over the years...