1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Check Engine Light and EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 07:45 PM
dcale101
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Check Engine Light and EGR Valve

My check engine light came on in my 2000 3.0. I took it to my regular garage and the code showed an EGR valve problem. They replaced the EGR valve and the light went out. I drove it for a day and a half and the darn light has come back on again. Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it back? It seems to run fine. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:23 PM
bananaedge
New User
i had the same problem and it turned out to be the dpfe, which is a small sensor on the front of the upper intake. I cleaned mine with carb cleaner and it has given me no problem since. I dont have the link but if you do a search you may can find a picture to show you just what you are looking for. I hope this helps

Old 07-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
What was the code?

My guess was that it was a P0401 and/or P0402 code in which case the culprit is more likly to be the DPFE sensor. EGR valves don't go bad nearly as often as the DPFE does. On the 3.0L they are especially prone to failure after a few years of use. This will give you more info about the DPFE and the EGR system in general:

Ford DPFE/EGR System Summary

This can help you test the DPFE sensor it you are so inclined:

DPFE Vacuum & Voltage Test

FWIW, changing the DPFE is a 20 minute job, so if it needs to be replaced, do it yourself. There are two screws to take out, an electrical connector to unplug, and a couple of small vacuum hoses to pull off. Install is the reverse of removal.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bananaedge
i had the same problem and it turned out to be the dpfe, which is a small sensor on the front of the upper intake. I cleaned mine with carb cleaner and it has given me no problem since. I dont have the link but if you do a search you may can find a picture to show you just what you are looking for. I hope this helps
Welcome to FTE!

Old 07-24-2004, 09:13 PM
dcale101
Freshman User
Thanks for the information guys. How much does the DPFE sensor cost?

Old 07-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Elder User
EGR & DPFE

I had the same problem, the engine code which Auto zone reset for me and it came back on. I took it (1999 Mountaineer 5.0) to the dealer where they replaced the EGR & DPFE (they charged $316., I should have and could have done it myself). But they also "reprogrammed the PCM". Here are my questions:
1. Was the reprogramming of the PCM just a matter of resetting the code or clearing the computer? They put a sticker on the cowel indicating an authorized modification, it was hard to read but I think it says PCM #15, XU7A 1NA650 AFA, does this mean anything to you experts? Was the reprogramming needed as a result of the parts changes because they charged me $40 separately for it?

2. This was a certified used vehicle when I bought it and I got the Mercury Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty with it. Should this work have been covered under the warranty? All they ever tell me is that they ran the part number in the computer and it isn't covered. I have had "strong discussions" with both the dealership and the warranty folks in the past over certain items.
Thanks

Old 07-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
dcale101, the DPFE is about 50 bucks or so.

1081, here are my quick thoughts:

1. A PCM re-program is more than just clearing the codes. It means that the computer was updated with the latest "program" in order to better the operation and performance of the vehicle and/or address a specific issue that has popped up while the vehicle is already in production.

2. What does the warranty language say? It all starts there. I would think that a halfway decent warranty plan would cover the work you described. EGR is an important emission-related system that is an integral part of your engine, it's not some minor, insignficant sub-system.

Old 07-25-2004, 06:40 AM
dcale101
Freshman User
Rockledge,

Thanks again for the information, I really appreciate it. I have one more question though. If I replace the DPFE, do I need to reset the computer or will the check engine light go out on it's own? If it needs reset, how do I do that by myself? Again, thanks for the help.

As far as the warranty goes, I was asked by my mechanic if my truck was still under warranty. He said that if it was, which it wasn't , that this particular problem would usually be covered by the warranty.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
You can reset the computer by removing the cable from the negative battery terminal for 20 or so minutes. Might as well do that right before you change out the DPFE, by the time you are done, you can re-attached the cable and should be good to go.

Old 07-31-2004, 08:44 PM
dcale101
Freshman User
Well, I changed out the DPFE sensor today and everthing seems to be okay. The check engine light is off and has stayed off. The new sensor is plastic instead of aluminum like the old one. The old one was corroded around the vacuum connections. I think that was the problem and why the replacement was plastic. Thanks to everyone for the tips. It saved me a lot of money. The new sensor was still $76 from Ford, but I didn't have to pay labor to anyone else. Again, thanks for the information.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:10 AM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2001 4.0L 26,000 miles, has the check engine light come on for the first time since I bought the truck used about 2 months ago. I went to Autozone and the code was P0401, EGR Flow Insufficcient Detected. I was pressure washing under the hood this morning and I suspect that I loosened a vacum hose, but I haven't checked the hoses out yet. I know that the hoses to the DPFE are not switched. But if the DPFE was bad wouldn't it give more than one error code? I only had the one P0401. And if the EGR was bad wouldn't it give off more than one error code?

Old 08-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Elder User
No, on mine it gave off one code with the problem being either/or. I would say let autozone reset the code and then see if it comes back on.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:09 PM
MPDano
Junior User
Great post!! I just took the DPFE off my '97 Expedition and took it apart and cleaned it out (including the foam inside). Started up my Expy and it idles great. Thanks for the help guys!!

Old 09-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Crimedog54
Freshman User
Had the same problem w/ EGR(code, replace, check engine back on). I ran some lucas fuel additive to the next tank of 93octane gas and havent seen the light come on in months??? Worth a shot for a $3 bottle.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 PM
MPDano
Junior User
Oops, after looking at a diagram, it was the EVR that I took apart and cleaned. Hayes manual wasn't very detailed. Saw the diagram off a post here. It seemed to clear up the problem. I just took it on a test drive. If it does come back, I will probably replace the DPFE (only $66 at Kragen). Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light and EGR Valve