Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Loud rattle from engine at start

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 06:56 AM
SplashMan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-26-2002, 05:57 PM
twallace
Freshman User

I drive a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport, 4WD V6 SOHC with 119,000 miles. When I started the engine there was a VERY loud rattle coming from what appears to be the lower part of the engine. It is definately coming from the front of the truck. It sounds like it is in unison with the engine rotation and the rpm's fluctuate a little, but pretty much stay constant at 1,000 rpm during idle. When I shift into gear, the engine seems to run rough, but the gears engage.

My local mechanic examined the truck but has not determined the cause of the problem as of yet. He is leaning towards a tension problem with the timing or cam chains. Any ideas before I have the mechanic start pulling apart the engine. One idea I have heard is it may be the torque converter.

If it helps, there has been a quiet rattle coming from the front of the truck for the three years I have owned it. I have had 4-5 mechanics check the rattle, including a Ford Dealer, but none of them could pinpoint the problem.

I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Old 03-26-2002, 08:21 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was recall on the cam tensioner for the v-6 engine
sounds like its your problem.

Rich

Ford Trucks Built Tough!
not with rocks
Watch out "X" Mayor of Truckville

Old 03-26-2002, 10:16 PM
reberhardt
Elder User

If the noise is very loud and doesn't go away after a few seconds then the problem is the front camshaft guide. If the noise sounds like a quiet diesel for a few seconds and then goes away then the problem is your tensioners. Either way you are outside of both of their extended warranties so you might as well have your independant fix it for half the price that Ford will charge you. Have your independant look up the text from ONP 01m01 and ONP 00M12. If your independant doesn't have access to the full text then it is time to find a new independant. Both will guide him on what to do next.

Old 03-26-2002, 10:41 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend

Here is the tsb # 99-26-5
Its for both cam tensioners ,even though it mentions only left in the text .it has the ford part #'s in it for replacing both sides
Rich

Ford Trucks Built Tough!
not with rocks

Old 03-27-2002, 12:53 PM
reberhardt
Elder User

The problem with using the tensioners from that TSB is that the tensioners mentioned were the older tensioners that were still prone to failure. The latest revision tensioners came out a year later, in October, 2000 via ONP 00M12. They are included in kit # YL2Z-9E473-AA which also includes the new lower intake manifold o-rings. I would expect that Ford has purged all of their old stock so you likely couldn't purchase the tensioners listed in the TSB. I wouldn't want to chance it though. You will likely end up having to replace them again in another 10K-15K miles. That is all the longer mine lasted when I had them replaced in early 2000. When I had them replaced again in October, 2000 they have stayed quiet ever since. I have put about 30K miles on my latest set and so far they are still quiet.

From his description though, it sounds more like the cam chain guide though rather than the tensioners. Of course "loud clanking noise" can be totally subjective.

Old 03-27-2002, 06:46 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend

That p/n you mention is the one for the kit that is in that tsb
that i looked at lastnight,when pulling the Tsb I get the updated
kit # that you mention from the part systems.

Yes without looking at his explorer personally we don't know 100%
what is causing his noise Cam guide or cam tensioners !
We can only suspect it is that!!!!! Right!

Lets keep on fixin them as best we can!

Rich

Ford Trucks Built Tough!
not with rocks

Old 03-27-2002, 09:08 PM
reberhardt
Elder User

Yeah, when I looked up the TSB you mentioned, I only saw the individual part numbers for each tensioner. The ONP only showed the part number for the kit which includes the tensioners and o-rings. It did not say what the part numbers were that were in the kit though. I suspect that if he went down to the Ford parts counter and gave them the older part numbers that their comptuer would say that those part have been replaced by another part. I would want to be certain though before putting them in. I do know the kit part number includes the latest parts.