Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

93 Explorer A4LD Trany issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 01:05 PM
bchitwood73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Explorer A4LD Trany issues.

Ok I have has this Explorer for about a year now and its always done some weird stuff in reverse. If you shift from any gear into reverse it takes about 5 or more seconds to engage and then you can back up. About a week ago I noticed that I was having to give it more and more throttle to get the Explorer to back up and now, I have no reverse at all. I can feel the rig trying to move backwards when I rev the motor but its just not enough.

This is a 93 Explorer EB with the 4.0L V6. I believe the trans is the 3 speed with OD (4 speed) A4LD. Now I know they made a few different models of this trans and I think I have the model with the 2 solenoids rather then the one. Anyone out there have any ideas on this or is it time for a new Trans? All the forward gears work great. If I do need a new trans, what other rigs did Ford use this same model in and what year range?

Thank you,
Brad

Old 06-29-2004, 10:08 AM
bchitwood73
Senior User
Anyone out there? I have a trans lined up thats out of a 89 Arostar van, does anyone know if this will work?

Old 06-29-2004, 12:57 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The A4LD was used from '85 to '94 in Ranger based vehicles (Explorers, Bronco II's, Rangers, and Aerostars). '87 and earlier A4LD's had only one solenoid to control the torque converter lockup clutch. '88 and later used two solenoids: one to control TCC lockup and one to control the 3-4 shift. Over the years other changes were also made to make it stronger.
To answer your question. Technically, an A4LD out of an '89 Aerostar will "fit" in that it will bolt up to the engine, electronics should all work with your '93 Explorer, etc. However, the A4LD put behind 4.0 L engines is stronger than what would be in an Aerostar (wouldn't an '89 Aerostar have a 3.0?).
I don't know enough about the transmission to diagnose your problem, but what you really want is an A4LD that is built to '94 4.0 L specs. Rather than put in an unknown '89 3.0 A4LD, I'd rather see you spend the money to get your existing A4LD rebuilt. I think you'd do a lot better.

Old 06-29-2004, 02:18 PM
bchitwood73
Senior User
Thank you for the reply. It was my understanding that Ford changed to a different type auto trans in 94 that was completely electronic and did away with the A4LD, or was this later on in say 95 or 96? I think you are right though, I should look for one that came out of a 4x4 Explorer which is what I have. I am also unsure if the tail shaft is removable on this trans or will I have to find one that is out of a 4x4 and take the transfer case with it also.

The rebuild route may be a little too spendy for me right at the moment so I think I may have to take my chances on a pulled trans. Correct me if I am wrong but my best bet would be out of another Explorer 4x4 from the 89 to 94?

Thank you,
Brad

Old 06-29-2004, 05:17 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A4LD was replaced by the 4R44E (sometimes called the A4LDE) in '95.
I'm reasonably sure the tail shaft is removable.
Explorer's and the 4.0 didn't appear until the '91 model year. The 4.0 was also optional on some Rangers during that time frame, so don't discount something from a Ranger, just see which engine it was behind.
And they upgraded parts in the A4LD from year to year. If you must get a junkyard tranny, I'd try to get one from a '94 or maybe a '93.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:04 AM
dsmith1484
Senior User
Couple of things.

I just had the Trans rebuilt in my 94 XLT. I had the upgraded shift kit installed and all the ford factory upgrades done. I also had a new torque converter installed as part of the rebuild. I also had the rear main seal of the motor replaced. This was t the recommendation of the Trans shop and I am glad that they recommended it.

the brake down of the costs is $525 for the removal and install of the Trans and 1300 for the rebuild and the new torque converter. I also got a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. One other thing that impressed me was that the Trans shop required that I bring the truck back after 500 miles and they test drive it and inspect the Trans and check the adjustments.

Getting to your problem. I was trying to go the cheep rout by getting a used Trans but after reading allot about these transmissions I came to the conclusion that used was really a very short term solution (remember even if you get one from a 1994 it is now ten years old)

Any used Trans will probably require a rebuild unless you get one from a vehicle that already had it replaced. I was at my local junk yard and they told me that they never get 91-94 explorers in with good Trans it is always the Trans that fails. Conversely they never sell used motors from these vehicles either as they seem to run forever.

I looked at it this way I plan on keeping my 94 for at least another 3-4 years as it has no rust and I just checked the compression and it checked out great. If you take the cost of getting a professionally done rebuild and amortize it over 3-4 years it is a whole lot cheaper then car payments. where as if you put a used one with no waranty there are very good odds that you will be replacing it much sooner than if you go with a rebuild.

If you do elect to go with used one get it from a 1994 EXPLORER. This was the last year it was in the explorer and the ones in explorers were designed for the added torque as well as the weight of an explorer. There were significant improvements made to these transmissions. Get the newest one you can find. I would also recommend that before you install a used Trans take it to your local Trans shop and have them inspect it. At very least they can cheack and adjust it before it is installed hopefully extending the service life. they may also find something that can be repaired. I would even consider having them rebuild it even if it is in working order as the ware parts are cheep. (less than $200 on line). What usually happens is when the bands or the plates ware and are not adjusted to corect for the ware they slip and cause added heat. The added heat thins the trans. fluid and lessens it ability oo lubricate the transmission. This then causes major damage to a trans. If you catch a Trans when it is just starting to slip it can usually be saved relatively inexpensively.

Ok I have rambled on long enough. The bottom line after really thinking about it I found that a professional rebuild / upgraded Trans was cheaper over the long hall and the risk and expense of a second Trans replacement was not something I wanted to deal with that seemed to be a real possibility if I went with a used one.

Respectfully

Dean

Old 06-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Mike in RI
Junior User
Hey Dean,

That sounds like one heck of a transmission shop! Who are they and where are they located?

Mike

Old 01-30-2005, 09:40 PM
dsmith1484
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mike in RI
Hey Dean,

That sounds like one heck of a transmission shop! Who are they and where are they located?

Mike
I know this is REALLY OLD but for some reason I never saw that you posted. The shop I used was Bonded Transmission In Framingham Mass. To update you on the trans. I had to have it replaced again under the warranty. The impute bearing on the new torque converter failed. They told me that chunks of metal from the bearing and the torque converter were pumped through the Trans basically damaging most all the internals, basically trashing it. No fuss no questions asked they replaced it. The interesting thing was that this second Trans cost more than the first (on paper) The receipt I got had the costs associated with the repairs and it was over $2,800.00. But the bottom line said no charge warranty repair The only down side was they had my truck for a week but I did tell them to take there time as I had my Wife's car to drive (Supercharged Salene Mustang).

I know "Her Car" but I Married guys that like fast toys will understand when I say that in order for her to agree to let me put the supercharger in it became "Her Car" . For some reason when it brakes or needs gas it becomes my car again for a very short period of time.

BTW This confirms my previous post that the warrantees on these transmissions are worth there weight in gold!!! One other note the price I got was “Friends and Family” deal. The going price for what I had done is over $2,700.00 I also race in SCCA and this shop rebuilds/upgrades our transmissions for our race cars as well.

Respectfully

Dean