2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air leaking/blowing in from under the dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 04:04 PM
ralupien
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air leaking/blowing in from under the dash

Has anyone had issues with air leaking/blowing in from under the dash. I have air coming in from under the dash on the passenger’s side. I had my dealer take a look at the problem. They’re telling me that the problem is in the “air blending box”. Evidently the blending door that allows outside air into the cabin does not close correctly. They found this on all other trucks that they checked on their lot. They then called Ford tech. They said that Ford tech is aware of the issue but does not have a fix for the problem. Their answer was to turn on some warm air during the winter months.
I’m not going for this solution and plan to start the process of returning the vehicle.

P.S. Other than this issue, I love the truck.

Thoughts/comments/help?

Thanks,

Old 06-17-2004, 04:21 PM
khendrix
Senior User
RETURN THE TRUCK?!?!?! The problem shouldnt be that bad as to return the truck.....

Old 06-17-2004, 04:32 PM
ralupien
Freshman User
No one can ride on the passenger’s side in the cold months with out a blanket around their feet. My wife’s words, “this is a miserable ride”. Given that, can I afford to keep it?

Old 06-17-2004, 04:49 PM
LSUFX4
Senior User
Return the wife maybe? That would fix problem

Old 06-17-2004, 09:44 PM
PhrEEkSh0w
Senior User
What do they mean there is no fix? Replace the door. My truck doesn't leak that I'm aware of. My old truck had vents in the doors that leaked cold air until the side of my leg went numb. No fun at all. Heat didn't help because it was just a vent.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:53 PM
ralupien
Freshman User
Well, here’s the deal. The service department is telling me that the “blender box” door doesn’t seal completely. This allows outside air to leak/blow through the assembly. They took a new blender box assembly from stock and noted that it had the same issue. Then they tested several trucks on their lot and found the same problem. That’s when they called Ford tech for advice. I would have thought they were full of crap in regards to there being no fix. But as soon as I asked about returning the truck, they put me directly in touch with Ford customer service. Would they do that if they were giving me the run around? So, the process has started. I’m willing to except any reasonable remedy including waiting for a recall if they have one in the works. But I can‘t see keeping a 40K truck that has a known design flaw that I was not informed of prior to purchase. It’s just too much money for me to blow off and it’s uncomfortable for passangers.

Could some of you other folks have a passenger reach up under the passenger side dash (below the glove box) and see if you have the leak? Highway speeds seem to be the worst.
By the way, the truck is a “screw” Lariat with the console and the six disk changer.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
Hmmm, my fiancee never said anything about cold air blowing on her legs/feet this past winter. I'll have to have her check it out sometime this weekend. Could this only be an issue on the trucks with a center console? I would imagine that they would use the same blender box on all models. But, who knows...

I have an XLT Scab, w/out console, but have the 6 disk changer.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:03 AM
ralupien
Freshman User
Any help on this is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 06-18-2004, 11:42 AM
4x4_Lariat
New User
ralupien, yes, I have a scab with the same problem. I only noticed in the winter though. As a passenger, I have to keep my feet to the top left of the floor just to keep them warm. But now that I think about it, maybe that's why the truck doesn't cool enough with the AC on. It seems to blow out of the vents plenty cold but the cab area doesn't ever seem to get to temp. 99.9% of the time, I have the A/C cranked down to the max. Hmmmm.

Last edited by 4x4_Lariat; 06-18-2004 at 11:42 AM. Reason: to give my model
Old 06-18-2004, 11:58 AM
ralupien
Freshman User
I plan to track this to the bottom line. I hope a recall is in the works. In any case, I’ll keep you all in the loop on this.

Regards,

Old 06-18-2004, 01:24 PM
ralupien
Freshman User
Well, I just got off the phone with a Ford customer service rep. He conformed that the leak was most likely what he deemed “a normal operating characteristic” of the vehicle. I pointed out that it was an “operating characteristic” of the vehicle but that it was not normal. He told me that I should get another opinion at another dealer. He also said that he would forward the information to the engineering department. He said that if enough owners complained that a fix (recall) would most likely be the result. Sounded like a canned response though.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
"normal operating characteristic" my ***!!! I have never known any other vehicle to blow air into the cab when the heat or a/c is off. You should definitely pursue this issue all the way through to resolution. Keep us updated.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:53 PM
PhrEEkSh0w
Senior User
Kinda renders the re-circulated air button useless too. That is not a normal operating characteristic.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:01 AM
ralupien
Freshman User
Talked to the service manager at my dealer. She said the same thin as the Ford analyst. Basically that the air flow issue is normal and meant to vent the cab so that occupants don’t suffocate. You believe that crap. So, as far as the dealer goes it’s eat sh-t and bark at the moon. I’m going to start the issue resolution process with Ford. I don’t really expect to get this fixed and I don’t expect that they’ll take the truck back but I’m going to follow all the steps and see where it takes me. I may buy a blending box out of stock and fix the thing my self and have them install it. Who knows.