Engine Ping 1997 T-Bird Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Lionsfan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Ping 1997 T-Bird Help!!!

I own a 97 T-Bird with the V-6 Motor. My problem exists only when the car is traveling up a grade and is at 2000 rpmsor above. The problem is a bad ping. on flat grade it runs great. No fault code detected. My 93 with the same motor never did it it has 186,000 miles on the original motor. I run the same mix of gas in both, mid grade and stp octane boost.EGR valve?h2o sensor? Im stumped.Can anyone lead me in the right direction. I dont want to chase this problem with many extra expenses. Thanks. By the way the 97 has 90,000 original miles on it.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
A well tuned gnition is important. When is the last time you installed new double platinum plugs and a new wires on it?

A lean running engine can result in pinging. Check for any vacuum leaks, cracked hoses, etc. Replace the PCV valve with a Motorcraft brand (best fit). When is the last time the fuel filter was replaced? How about the fuel injectors ...do you run a bottle of cleaner through the system every now and then?

You might also try cleaning the MAF:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=126093

Old 06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
thelonerangerxlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree with Rockledge's suggestion to clean the MAF sensor. A dirty MAF produces a lean condition and will make an engine ping.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Lionsfan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thanks for the help

Installed new plugs from Ford,checked all wires, cleaning MAF SENSOR as speak, will run the car on open road tommorrow.Thanks for the leads You guys are great . WHAT A GREAT WEB SITE !!!!