1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:16 PM
drquest65
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring turn signals

Well hello again guys, my new project is to wire turn signals into my 54 ford pickup, i have the signal stat 900 colum mount switch, a three wire flasher an the new two wire 12 volt sockets fo the front parking lighs to make them flash also. The rear lights have been replaced prior wit 12 volt lights. can ayone show me the correct wirring of the components for the turn signals ? i have made a small mockup in my basement to see if i ould figure it out, what i have isthe turn signals work, but when one is falshing the other lighst up also but does not flash so i must hae a wire crossed smehwere i think. if anyone could show me a wiring diagram it would be a god send thanks guys ( this is a great forum everyone is so helpful !!!!)

Old 06-09-2004, 05:59 PM
56f600
Senior User
I think you want to use only two terminals on your flasher. Power into it and then power out to your switch. From the switch you will have wires to go to each front light and each rear light. The rear lights are also your brake lights. It sounds like you have the rear lights hooked up wrong and your mock up is thinking you are turning left with your brakes on. I had similiar problem when I rewired my truck, it gave me fits. Give us an update.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:16 AM
johann5
Senior User
Go to NAPA and ask to see their book on flasher circuits. There are dozens of flasher units to choose from and schematics for each. You need to find one that matches your turn signal switch and pilot light(s) if you have them and the number of rear bulbs you will have. In my case I have a single pilot light on the switch that blinks with the lights and single bulbs with dual filiments on all four corners. Also keep in mind your rear bulbs do triple duty. They have to be on for running lights, brakes and turn signals. Usually, the smaller filiment is used for running lights and the larger (brighter) filiment is used for a combination of brakes and turn signals. If you have seperate bulbs, giving you a total of three filiments per side, this sharing of the larger filiment is not an issue. My flasher is three wire. On 12V input, one output to the switch and one output to the pilot light. I used common trailer converter to "combine" my brake and turn signals into a single bulb filiment. It has one input from the brakes, one input each from the switch for left and right and one output each to the left and right bulbs. Works great.
Good luck,
J

Old 06-10-2004, 01:55 AM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What I ended up doing on my 56 was adding a seperate 1 filiment bulb socket to the tailights, got sockets with a small "L: bracket on them and pop rivited them inside the tailight, ran the extra wire out right next to the outher wires, dab of silicone, good to go.. made the wiring so straightforward, and all the lights function correctly and brightly. Wires coming from the cab were 1. tailights 2. brakelights 3 RT signal 4. LFT signal.......Just one solution to that part of the issue...

Old 06-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Scott123
Elder User
Packrat56,

That's almost exactly what I did, except on the bulbs for the signal lights I put in brighter halogen bulbs, so if the brake light is on you can see the flasher blinking over it. You're right, it's a simple wiring set up, plus it looks stock too.

Scott

Old 06-10-2004, 05:05 PM
54at50
New User
Just did a column install & wiring in my 54 last weekend. The turn switch that I was using may be the same as yours, not sure what model it is. Anyway I found a web site that has a diagram & good info on how the switch works & how to wire it. Don't think I can post a link so here's the url : http://webs.lanset.com/buzz/Mturnsig.html
Between this site & the article on FTE (color codes) I was able to hook up a jeep (gm saginaw type)column to the wiring I'd done a long, long time ago.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:22 PM
drquest65
Freshman User
Thanks or the awesome help guys I have the mock up working fine now, the problem was i had the flasher wired in wrong. now that is wired in line with the power wire the lights work fine so next step is to wire the truck up if the weather is good this weekend!( and I think ill only have to switch the front lights to newer two iliment bulbs since the back lights hav already been updated to two filiment bulb lights jus not wired for turn signals.) and im figuring if i use the brighter filiment for the turn lamps and brake lights and the other for the parking lights I should be all set , seems to or with the mock up.