Cab Lights Flash W/ Turn Signal?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:46 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab Lights Flash W/ Turn Signal?

Hey guys. I recently put some cab lights on my truck. Theyre cool and all but then I thought of a way to make em cooler! Somehow wire them in with my turn signals so the left 2 flash with the left signal, and the right 2 flash with the right signal! Cool huh? Well... electrical isnt so cool. Im a bit stumped on how to wire this into my signals. I want them to come on with my headlights AND flash with my signals. This is a problem because theres 2 wires going to the socket. I figure one is for "dim" and the other is for the flash. If I use one wire, then they will just come on with my driving lights, but no flash. Connect the other and theyll just flash, but no driving lights. Any ideas?

Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,342 Posts
What type of cab lights do you have? I have never seen cab lights with dual filament bulbs. The ones I am familiar with are single filament, one wire is ground, the other wire is the hot wire.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:01 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
the guy I got em off of said he uses dual filament sockets to make his LED lights. Not sure if the actual part that makes it flash is in the socket or how that works?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Franklin2
Well, if you can take one off, verify if it's dual filament. If it looks like it's dual filament, take a wire and put it on one of the mounting bolts(the ground) and hook it to the battery neg terminal, then take each wire you have left and touch it to the battery + terminal. See which one is bright, and which one is dim. Then of course you will have to tie all the dim wires together and run them down the pillar, and tie the left bright wires together and the right bright wires together, and run them down the windshield pillar. You will have 3 wires running down the pillar, the dim, the left and the right.

The dim wire will hook to the brown running lights wire. The left and right bright wires will have to be tied to the wires leaving the steering column, which come from the turnsignal switch.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Genious!!! Ill have to check it out. Good thing I didnt silicone the crap out of it and can still get em off lol

Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
You can also use a cheap trailer filament converter (converts vehicles with dual filament bulbs like the Ranger and the Expedition to work with trailers that have independent bulbs and your vehicle doesn't have a tow circuit where you have to tap the tail lights). Autozone sells one for like 12.99. You tap the controller onto both the turn signal line and the line running to the cab lights and the controller automatically switch between the two feeds. I used one on my LED project. This isn't the finished project, I upgraded to SBL LEDS a year ago but this is what I was using it for at the time.

Expedition with DRL LED's - YouTube

Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM
srteach
Elder User
A dual filament socket will have two wires and a ground. Most (not all) LED bulbs are single filament systems. Franklin2 has it correct to find out if you have a dual filament system.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by heymrdj
You can also use a cheap trailer filament converter (converts vehicles with dual filament bulbs like the Ranger and the Expedition to work with trailers that have independent bulbs and your vehicle doesn't have a tow circuit where you have to tap the tail lights). Autozone sells one for like 12.99. You tap the controller onto both the turn signal line and the line running to the cab lights and the controller automatically switch between the two feeds. I used one on my LED project. This isn't the finished project, I upgraded to SBL LEDS a year ago but this is what I was using it for at the time.
I missed this post when you submitted it, but I just read it and this is a great idea.

I used one of those convertor boxes on my 53 f100 project. Those old trucks didn't come with turnsignals, and someone had added a switch on the column and drilled holes in the tops of all 4 fenders and mounted turnsignal lights. It looked terrible.

I converted it to dual filament bulb sockets in the front and the rear, along with converting it to 12v. To convert it to dual filament in the rear I would have to get a different turnsignal switch or put in a modern steering column. You need a complicated modern turnsignal switch to mix the brake and the turnsignals together onto the same wires.

But as was mentioned, they make a converter box that takes the separate signals from a European type car that has separate amber signals, and combines the signals and the brake lights into one wire to hook to a trailer with American type dual filament bulbs. I used this box to take the brake signal wire and the turnsignal wires, and mix them together to run my new dual filament bulb I mounted to the rear of the truck.

But this would work well also for what the original poster of this thread wants to do, and still just use the single filament marker lights. It's a slick solution to what this guy wants to do.