strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 03:15 PM
cabrilo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange problem

Here's the story. 1987 bronco II 2.9 v6

My fiances mom drove over in this bronco to visit us about 100 miles. The truck died on her and she could not start it again. Someone stoped over on highway and looked under the car. The starter was hanging lose. So he tightened one bolt and could not reach the other one. the truck started and she drove on. When she arived I looked at it, and tightened the other starter bolt. I was scratching my head for a while: I am not certain why it died?

I took the car for a spin and it ran fine. All the inspection seemed fine. Sparks were good, oil level ok. She took it home and smelled something funny. So as she is pulling over the truck dies on her again. She calles AAA and they tow it to her house. She is older lady and some of the parts of the story I do not understand but now the truck will fire up but has a terrible sound. Also she belives that some antifreze spilled on the road.

The knock is in frequence with rpm change. It sounds like a one cylinder disel engine. Or it sounds like that need tune valves sound, only it sound like only one valve is making sound and is much more loud.

So the first thing to check was valvetrain. I took the valve covers off and let the engine run for few seconds. all of the rockers are rocking nice, all the pushrods seem nice and tight. I disconected one spart at the time and the engine still ran with this loud noise. I spend 2 hours trying to locacate the source of the sound, but I can just hear it everywhere with same loudness...

I am not making any sence of it. Oh yeah I added 1 gallon to the radiator and cant find any leaks. I had the engine idle on the driveway for over 15-20 min at the time. No overheating, no problems exept for the damn sound! I also tried the engine flush hoping that maybe a lifter is stuck. But this didnt help either. The engine oil did have quite a bit of very very very fine metal particles. I am not sure if it is due to the flush that it all came out!

The oil has been changed on regular basis...

Any ideas, comments anything! I am stuck!

thanks

Old 06-02-2004, 11:54 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

If the knocking sound is not related to the starter issue, then my guess is that what you are hearing could be a bearing rap. It's possible that a cracked head, bad HG, or something along those lines has been allowing coolant into the crankcase, which is a recipe for bearing disaster. Funny smells and missing coolant fit into this possible scenario.