Water Pump help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Streff
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump help

I have a 1994 Fuel injected 460 V8 7.5L on an F-super duty chassis. I found the water pump to be leaking from the weep hole. I decided to change it myself.

I have taken everything that may be holding the pump but it still will not come off. Took the alternator bracket and A/C compressor off, power streeing pump off, belts, fan & clutch off. Access is pretty difficult but I am sure that I took everything that I see off.

Any ideas why the pump still feels that it is rock solid on the block?
Also how do you keep track of where all the bolts that came off go?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Streff

Old 05-17-2004, 12:15 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Not sure if this will help you any but its the instructions for a 96..

If you are sure its completely unbolted it could just be siezed to the block due to rust. You might have to give it a couple good raps with a hammer to break it loose. Also be mindfull that some water pumps have a flange where they seat INTO the front cover so dont go too wild with a hammer. Look at your new one to see how it is designed so you can tell if it mounts flush or not. If it is flush mount and all bolts removed give her a good pop or two.

Water Pump

Removal

Disconnect the negative battery cable. For additional information, refer to Section 14-01 .

Drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Section 03-03 .

Disconnect the air inlet hoses from the air box to the throttle body and disconnect the air by-pass hose from the air by-pass valve. For additional information, refer to Section 03-12 .

Loosen the bolts attaching the fan to the water pump pulley. Loosen all drive belts and leave the belts around the water pump pulley.

Remove the bolts attaching the fan to the water pump and the bolts attaching the shroud to the radiator. Remove the fan, shroud, pulley, and belts.

Remove the belt tensioner from the A/C bracket and disconnect the locator for the distributor harness.

Disconnect the wiring connector from the A/C compressor. Remove the four bolts and one nut attaching the A/C compressor mounting bracket to the cylinder head and the water pump. Do not remove the A/C compressor or the power steering pump from the A/C compressor mounting bracket. Position the assembly aside.

Remove the three bolts attaching the alternator adjusting arm bracket to the water pump. Remove the four bolts attaching the alternator mounting bracket to the cylinder head, the cylinder block, and the water pump. Position the bracket aside and secure.

Disconnect the heater hose. Loosen the by-pass hose and lower radiator hose clamps at the water pump.

Remove the remaining water pump attaching bolts and remove the water pump from the engine front cover. Remove the water pump cover from the water pump. Discard the water pump housing gasket and the water pump cover gasket.

Remove any gasket material from the water pump, the cylinder front cover, and the separator plate mating surfaces.

Item Part Number Description
1 8501 Water Pump
2 8509 Water Pump Pulley
3 8600 Fan Blade
4 8A616 Fan Clutch
5 380288-S2 Screw and Washer Assy
6 57632-S2 Screw and Washer Assy
A — Tighten to 16-24 Nm
(12-18 Lb-Ft)

Installation

Position a new water pump housing gasket and a new water pump cover gasket coated on both sides with Perfect Seal Sealing Compound B5A-19554-A or equivalent water-resistant sealer meeting Ford specification ESE-M4G115-A.

Position the water pump and the water pump cover onto the engine front cover. Install the bolts and tighten to 24 Nm (18 lb-ft).

Connect the heater hose, the by-pass hose, and the lower radiator hose. Tighten the clamps securely.

Install the alternator mounting bracket to cylinder head, cylinder block and the water pump with four attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts 54 Nm (40 lb-ft). Install the alternator adjusting arm bracket to the water pump with two attaching bolts and to the alternator with one bolt. Tighten the two bracket-to-water pump attaching bolts to 41 Nm (30 lb-ft).

Position A/C compressor mounting bracket over water pump stud and secure to the cylinder head with four bolts tightened to 54 Nm (40 lb-ft). Tighten the bracket-to-water pump nut to 41 Nm (30 lb-ft). Connect the wiring connector at the A/C compressor.

Position the belts over the pulley. Install the drive belt tensioner to the A/C bracket and tighten the retaining bolt to 68 Nm (50 lb-ft). Connect the locator for the distributor harness.

Install the fan, shroud, pulley, and belts. Tighten the shroud belts to 6 Nm (53 lb-in). Connect the water pump pulley and the fan to the water pump hub with four bolts. Tighten water pump pulley and fan bolts to 16 Nm (12 lb-ft).

Install the drive belts around the tensioner and the alternator. Adjust belt tension and tighten bolt to 24 Nm (18 lb-ft). For additional information, refer to Section 03-05 .

Install the air inlet hoses from the air box to the throttle body, connect the air by-pass hose to the air by-pass valve, and tighten the clamps. For additional information, refer to Section 03-12 .

Fill the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Section 03-03 .

Connect the the negative battery cable. For additional information, refer to Section 14-01 .

Start the engine and check for leaks.