1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help mounting a reese 5th wheel hitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 09:18 AM
sharps-Nut
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Help mounting a reese 5th wheel hitch

I have a 2003 super duty extended cab short bed fx4. I just bought a 23 ft fifth wheel camper complete with reese 14k hitch. I bought this from an idividual so I will have to mount the hitch myself. Has anyone done this? I am very mechanically inclined but very ****. I don't want any oops and have to drill extra holes in the bed. I am not getting any mounting instruction for the hitch so I am in the dark. I have never owned a fifith wheel camper so I really in the dark. Next question. Will I run into any problems with the height of my truck vs camper height? A salesman told me I would have to buy a jayco brand camper or other camper with provisions for raising the camper to match my trucks ride height. Is this a load of crap. I have seen camper that are lifted but there are lots that are not. I guess mounting the springs to the top of the axles would indeed lift it but is this really need or will the hitch on the truck and camper allow for this adjustment. The camper is a 1996 23ft nomad by skyline if it matters. Any advice or thoughts would be deeply appreciated.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:47 AM
rdam
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no advice, but will follow closely. I have a 2WD excab shortbed and am planning on buying a used 5th wheel. I have been told that due to the short bed. the hitch must be a "sliding" type to allow proper clearance for the cab when maneuvering in tight quarters.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:39 AM
CmprSpecial
Elder User
http://www.reeseproducts.com/index.htm support section has installation instructions for the Reese rails.

Old 05-12-2004, 11:54 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had hitches installed in FOUR different trucks: a '00 F250 (short bed), '01 F350 (long bed), '03 GMC (short bed) and '97 F250 (long bed). I'd gladly pay the local RV dealership to do the install. Drilling through the frame is tough work. And, with the short bed, you'll need to get the hitch positioned so that you can turn without the RV hitting the cab. NEVER re-use the bolts & nuts when re-installing the hitch. Buy the install kit (minus rails) from either an RV dealer or off the web.

As for the trailer, get an extended pin-box that is adjustable (if the trailer doesn't already have one). If the trailer needs to be higher, you may be able to "flip" the axles so they are under the springs. Be sure to have 4-6 inches of clearance between the truck bed and RV. Dips, hills and holes will give your truck some new body lines if you don't have enough clearance.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:36 PM
f250mtnbikr
Senior User
I was in the same boat a number of years ago when I bought my first fifth wheel-knew nothing about them. NoMO makes a good point about the extended, adjustable height pin box. This is a must for short bed pickups(keeps the front overhang of the trailer from coming too close to the truck cab in a turn)-but you still need to be careful without a FW slider hitch-you can still contact the cab. I used a slider hitch on my short bed, but only once ran into a situation where I used it.
It's also important to keep the overhang at least 6" above the bed of the truck when hitched up. This keeps the trailer from contacting the bed when the truck is tilted left-camper tilted right and visa versa. Also, if the trailer is higher than level in the front when hitched up, the tailgate area will be closer to the trailer overhang than the front of the trailer is to the bed. This could cause you problems if the truck goes up an incline, then levels out before the trailer wheels get up to the same level(overhang could contact rear of bed/tailgate area-"crunch". This could happen even if trailer is level, but much less likely.
Some fifth wheels come with a "Jake plate" that lets you adjust the height of the trailer above the axles. Don't know if you can do anything to yours to raise the height if you do not have this. NoMO mentioned flipping axles, but I do not know if this can be done on your trailer. A reputable RV dealer might be able to tell you this. If nothing else, maybe they can weld on some Jake plates.
Good luck.

Tom

Old 05-12-2004, 01:45 PM
sharps-Nut
Junior User
Thanks for the thoughts. Any other opinions or experience. It is a garanteed fact I will do the install myself. The only work on this truck done by anyone else was a door adjustment by ford. The dip-stick body shop man tore my door panel off right in front of me was rude and broke the botton two mounting tabs off the panel. Now my panel hangs off the door like a welfare wagon. Oh well what do you expect for 36,000. Oh wait I was ranting.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Bashlin
Junior User
Everybody has good points on here. I installed my own fifth wheel hitch on my shortbed, and also my longbed which I currently tow with. Definatly need the slider hitch with the shortbed, and if possible get the extended hitch pin box. If you visit the website cmprspecial has in his thread, you can get instructions from reese, and definatly get new bolts, washers, and brackets for your install, reese sells all this in a package. If you have any other questions, just ask. Alos on the trailer axle flip, there is a pic of my setup in my gallery, I had no need to flip my axles.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:50 AM
sharps-Nut
Junior User
Thanks for the responses

I think I sold my old bumper pull last night. The lady had not unbolted the flat pieces off her truck when I picked up the fifth wheel hitch. I should get those tonight and mount hitch tommarow. Once I get the hitch installed I can pick up the camper. Kinda a mixed up pain in the *** way of doing it. I do have a couple of co-workers who are going to assist in the install but I was looking for any ford owners who had been there done that.
Thanks to all who responded.