Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 08:35 AM
3greenfords
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Oil

I read on a post at the Excursion sight that Mobil-1 is not compatible with the PSD. Anybody aware of problems with Mobil-1 and the PSD?

Old 01-04-2002, 08:57 AM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
Diesel Oil

I answered your post in the Excursion forum.

Les

Old 01-04-2002, 11:36 PM
redneckdieselmechanic
Senior User
Diesel Oil

At the truck shop, we use chevron 15w 40 delo400. ITs a good oil for low sulfur fuels. Rotella T is good too.

Old 01-05-2002, 11:20 AM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
Diesel Oil

I use Delo 400 and Rotella T is just as good. I prefer these oils due to the fact that they are more widely available at most parts stores, truck stops and Wal marts.

Les

Old 01-06-2002, 10:42 PM
redneckdieselmechanic
Senior User
Diesel Oil

didnt i mention that?
:-X11

Old 01-13-2002, 09:56 PM
Wally77
New User
Diesel Oil

I have been using Dryden Diesel All Plus 15 - 40. It is made here in the Baltimore area and that is what the International Dealer uses. I am Ok with this oil?

Old 01-15-2002, 09:28 AM
Spoon
New User
Diesel Oil

to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to I use mobil Delvac 1 ..............it is not the same as Mobil 1 i have 244,000 on my PSD and i like the oil very well. Have not had any problems with it at all.

To to

Spoon.......

Old 01-16-2002, 11:01 AM
spartamouse1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel Oil

according to navistar's specs #1 motorcraft
#2 rotella t

they say if you change it every 5000 mi you should put in defoamer addative at 2500. if you change it a 3000 then you can get by without the addative.

parts man

Old 02-05-2002, 08:34 AM
Dwights
Junior User
Diesel Oil

I recently changed the oil on my 2002 PSD with Mobil 1. Unfortunately, I went by the label which says it is ok for diesels (an oil company wouldn't lie or mislead, would it?) The oil classification system is very confusing for those not in the know. E.G., what does chf or cj stand for?
Anyway, the queation of the hour is should I change again ASAP or is it ok to continue to 3000 mi on this oil (total mileage about 10K and about 1000 on the Mobil 1).
The truck is used in New Hampshire (12 degrees this am) for basic transportation, light towing, and light plowing. It is chipped and has the B and B exhaust.

Old 02-06-2002, 03:42 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Diesel Oil

Let me just give you my take on this oil issue and you can do with it as you so desire.
Oil doesn't really wear out. We change our oil because it gets contaminated and the additive package gets depleted. The primary reason to use a synthetic oil (in my opinion) is because synthetics can withstand much higher tempratures before they turn to varnish. The Power Stroke has a very efficient oil cooler. When we run these engines on the dyno hour after hour at 2700 RPM, full load the oil temprature won't vary more than 5 degrees either way from 230 (it will never run that hard for very long in the truck). So there is no benefit to be gained, temprature wise, by using synthetics and, since you said that you occasionally pull a trailer the contamination factor goes up. You will therefore, presumably want to change your oil to eliminate the risk of over-contamination, in line with your owners manual's maintainence schedule (not to metion the fact of being in compliance with the warranty). There is no reason that I know of why Mobil 1 couldn't be used successfully in the Power Stroke but it seems foolish to me to operate a Power Stroke on an extended oil change interval even if you're not pulling a trailer because of the need for the anti-foam additive. So if there is a good reason to change your oil in accordance with the manufacture's recommendation, and in this case there is, it seems to me you'd be wasting your money using synthetic (just my opinion).

Old 02-06-2002, 07:39 AM
rescuepilot
Junior User
Diesel Oil

I have done a tremendous amount of research on oils and filters. I have contacted Ford (both my dealership and FoMoCo) concerning warranty of the PSD as well as mechanical requirements of the engines internal operating systems to include injectors. I talked with two ambulance companies that run PSDs in thier rigs and they run maintenance checks at 18,000 on a regular basis. What I have done is gone to the Amzoil 5W-30W heavy duty deisel and the Amzoil filter and change the filter at 9000 and the oil at 18,000. Ford says that it does not void a warranty and the tests have shown zero wear or breakdown of the lube capabilities. My 5.4 Expedition has the by-pass system that is absolutlely amazing. The ambulance companies both go 18,000 with filter change at 9,000 and an oil test at the 9000 to check for wear and breakdown. So far they have more than 250,000 miles with no problems at all. Has anyone had any experiance that would prove otherwise? I would like to know both good and bad. I am sure that the Synthetics are going to be the mainstay in the future because of EPA requirements and disposal of used oils and lubes. Its not the oils that break down its the additives that do. Russ

Old 02-06-2002, 11:11 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Diesel Oil

We had some problems early on with the 6.9L equipped ambulances with needle bearing failure in the roller lifters (we use the same lifters in the Power Stroke) until we recommended they (Ford or the ambulance manufacturers) use an hour meter and change the oil in accordance with a timed interval instead of a milage interval (at least that is the story they gave me). Since that was done I haven't heard any more about it. The problem undoubtedly arose due to oil contamination.
If you are going to go with an extended oil change interval, the use of an oil anaylisis lab is the only way to go. Have you done the math to see if you are really saving any money after you pay the oil anaylisis lab, as opposed to changing every 5000 miles? I have a friend who buys Shell Rotella in a 55 gallon drum at about $1.12 per quart. Do your ambulances sit idling for extended periods of time?

Old 02-07-2002, 07:00 AM
Route66
New User
Diesel Oil

This ones for Joe - What do you think of Ford oil for the PSD?

Old 02-08-2002, 03:07 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Diesel Oil

Quite frankly, I don't think it makes much difference who's oil you use as long as it is a name brand oil (as opposed to bulk oil at the Swifty station). That is, of course, if you are going to change it in accordance with the maintainence schedule in the owners manual. The Power Stroke's only requirement is it needs a sufficient amount of anti-foam agent for the high pressure oil system that runs the injectors. I would assume that Ford's oil (Motorcraft) would already have the anti-foam agent in it (they wouldn't want their own customers complaining of rough running engines while using their own oil -- that would look bad if their own oil was inadequate to do the job in their own product).

Old 02-08-2002, 01:40 PM
xdriver
New User
Diesel Oil

If you're using regular Mobil 1 synthetic in your diesel instead of Mobil 1 Delvac synthetic dump it as soon as possible. Its not rated CH4 for diesel trucks and doesnt have the goody in it to protect your engine. Truck diesels have to have oil rated CH4 or better.

Quick Reply: Diesel Oil