Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2004, 03:15 AM
New User

windmillteetertotter is starting off with a positive reputation.
v10 in the f450 fuel pump, filter, injector, runs bad

This 2000 F450 V10 auto and has 64,000. It had the cat replaced at 5k, the dealer said it melted. Now its load winding ponies ant kicking again. It dogs out like its not getting gas, and the trans wont shift without backing out of the push. No power, and the check engine light is still on.

I Took it in to the dealer to find out the fuel pressure was poor and the o2ís were bad. So now the fuel filter has been replaced 3 time, and the pump is new, and the 02ís toÖ No change, When the tank came off, I found about a spoon full of gravel and the pre filter was brown, when it dried, it blew dust like Pecos Bills tornado. So I cleaned the tank, replaced the pump, and the filter again after running it a few, to make sure. No change,

Personal view, I think the next step is to address the injectors,
In all gears, from start up, it acts like it still is starving.

My question is, can programming effect the functions that would make it seem like its throat is rubbing the back of its neck? Or are the injectors flogged by the dirty deed of someone dumping silt and rock in the tank? I wondered if a injector cleaner would work but I assume that is for fuel buildup and scum removal, not mother earth! What do you think?

Windmill
Old 05-14-2004, 01:46 AM
New User

I noticed the pump didnít shut off while the key was on, so I replaced the fuel pressure regulator $41.00. Same problem. I pulled the fuel injectors, had them cleaned $15.00 ea ( kind of dirty fluid came out but none were clogged), installed along with new plugs, cleared the codes. No change. It still runs poor.

It starts and idles fine. It runs ok in first, but under any load it drags. It acts like it is starving for fuel. Pings, and whaaaws when pushing it up to speed which wont go over 50 on a flat, and makes it shift way out of normal... The intake is clean, and the throat is clean. The used plugs are all normal operation. I canít figure out what to do.

The fuel pressure is about 28 under the first key on cycle 32- 34 with three key on cycles, and holds. Under operation idle I holds at 41psi speck states 38-45 psi.. I checked for vacuum leaks, I am a bit concerned with the amount of fine dirt buildup around the throttle body flange to the intake manifold, and there is a little oil buildup in the bottom of the intake. No dirt or dust build up. And the throttle body cleaned up with one wipe, light oil buildup.

Help, what is next? Drove three trips about 5 miles ea, no codes, no change...
Old 05-19-2004, 02:05 AM
New User

Fixed: The Catalytic Converter was the problem, Changed it and itís running like new. Just call me slow, hard headed, stupid, I don't care, I just want to know why. Dealer said I drove it to hard. Not! The cat rattles like its all broke up inside, no meltdown or visible clogging. What makes it back up pressure, and go bad?

PS. I asked the dealer on the first visit to check the cat. There techís report was the fuel system. I purchased a back pressure gage for $60.00 and the new cat reading is under 1psi. the old cat pegged gage.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
New User

Easytime is starting off with a positive reputation.
v10 in the f450 fuel pump, filter, injector, runs bad

Please tell me about the back pressure gauge. Where do you hook it up and how do you read it. Can you get it at any auto parts stores?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:37 AM
Senior User

truckfella is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.truckfella is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Resurrecting a 10 year old thread! That's gotta be a record of some kind.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:37 AM