Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Installation

Old 07-08-2002, 05:15 PM
MeanOlBill
New User
Turbo Installation

I have an '88 F350 (under 90,000 miles)standard cab, 12' flatbed. For years I pulled a 26ft 5th wheeler (about 7000lbs) & never knew it was back there. However, with more time to travel & comfort a higher priority, I have a 29' 5th w/slider (about 11,500lbs), so more power has become a necessity. I recently installed the GearVendors over/under and am really pleased with it. Now I'm planning to add turbo. This time though, I DON'T want to do my own installation. Not an easy decision as I've always done my own work and hate to let anyone else get their hands on my machines. Since I live in San Diego, CA area, and the Banks plant is only a few hours away, I'm considering having THEM install their Sidewinder. Have any of you had them do the installation? Appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc.
THANKS!!
Bill

Old 07-08-2002, 07:39 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo Installation

It is certainly your money but my opinion is you are never going to get the kind of horse power out of that engine while keeping the reliability of the unit to do what you want to do. I'd be looking for a 2000 or later Power Stroke equipped vehicle. The IDI engine doesn't have the inherent structual integrity to handle much more than 200 HP while maintaining the reliability over the long haul.

Old 07-08-2002, 08:50 PM
MeanOlBill
New User
Turbo Installation

I appreciate the input, Joe.. However, a 2000 or newer truck is not an option for me. My wife and I are both retired and while we're comfortable, those sort of payments would seriously cut into our travel money (Catch 22). We aren't in any hurry when we travel, just want enough 'oomph' on the hills to find a pull-out before we have a long line of traffic behind us. I'm not expecting miracles, just a little 'boost'; no longer concerned about "runnin' with the young dawgs". Do you know if the factory turbo is wastegated or non-wastegated? Do you, personally, have a preference? My only turbo experience/knowledge is with my IH TD15 Dozer - very different application.
Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-08-2002, 09:24 PM
TLindquist
Senior User
Turbo Installation

I have a 1986 F-350 that had a turbo installed at 90,000 miles and at 131,000 miles the #7 cylinder went south. The diesel mechanic told me that Ford produced 2 different blocks in the IDI, 1 designed for the extra pressures from the turbo and 1 for stock non-turbo. I love my truck and rather than selling it for a new PSD, I opted to replace the motor with a 1992 7.3L FACTORY turbo diesel. The truck runs even better, but I spent $8000 and would hate to see a person go through the same thing as myself. Keep your truck stock or buy a PSD.

Old 07-09-2002, 03:31 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Turbo Installation

There were NOT 2 different blocks -- one for turbo and one for non-turbo applications. They were all the same.
As I recall the turbo was not waste gated. The main reason we built the IDI turbo engine was because Ford wanted bragging rights to tell their customers "we have a turbocharged engine just like Dodge." The naturally aspirated engine was rated at 185 HP @ 3300 RPM and the turbo version was rated at 190 HP @ 3100 RPM, so as you can see, it was only marginally better than the non turbo version. Torque was increased from 345 ft.lb. to 425 ft.lb. at peak torque (about 1800 RPM, give or take 200 RPM). You can try and wring a little more horse power out of that engine if you want to but my opinion is, the amount of money that it is going to cost you to get it is not going to be worth the effort, particularly when you consider the idea of taking a fairly reliable package and straining it to its breaking point. Smokey Yunick used to say "how fast can you afford to go?"

Old 07-09-2002, 10:04 AM
rplett
Freshman User
Turbo Installation

If a 2000 or newer truck is out of range, you might want to trade up to a '95-'97. These can be had for a lot less money and should be able to handle your trailer with little trouble (225 hp and 425lbs, I think).

rplett

Old 07-09-2002, 10:42 AM
theologian
Postmaster
Turbo Installation

To answer the original question, I have dealt with Banks, direct, and had them work on my truck. In 150,000 miles I have had nothing to complain about... I also have had diesel trucks converted to the Banks Turbo, that have not been damaged, strained or otherwise compromised by the modification. This is not to say it is a guaranteed success, just that I have had nothing but good experiences with such modification.. ( I have not had so much luck with my last car though.)

Wm
'96 F450 White with Grey interior Crew Cab. Banks Turbo, Intercooler and Exhaust,
Power pack Chip, shift kit, Auxiliary transmission, electronic enhanced transmission control,
16 forward and 4 reverse ratios. 340hp 660ft lb 4 wheel drive, 4.10 gears, 12,ooo# winch

Old 07-09-2002, 11:20 PM
TLindquist
Senior User
Turbo Installation

There are two different blocks. The turbo diesel had a wall thickness between the water jacket and cylinder wall thicker than non-turbo also the metallic make-up of the turbo block was different, it was designed to hold up to increase pressures and pitting and scaling of the cylinder walls, this is called cavitation.
Either way, a turbo system on an older truck is really not feasible, save the 2 grand and save those extra dollars to purchase a newer truck. I have 3 friends that have 97 PSD's and have had no problems. Best of luck.

Old 07-10-2002, 01:36 PM
MeanOlBill
New User
Turbo Installation

Hey, Thanks for all the input - definitely gives me lots to think about. I would install a newer engine before I would trade this truck. Too many modifications to give up, toolboxes, overcab boat rack, lift/hoist, LuK clutch, GearVendors, etc. Were there any changes in the 7.3L's between '88 - '93? I haven't heard from anyone specifically with an '88.
Cheers,
Bill

Old 07-10-2002, 02:32 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Turbo Installation

The only differences between the 7.3's were the turboed engines had larger wrist pins which required different rods and pistons (of course the fuel rate of the injection pump was increased to get some more power). The compression ratio may have been slightly different as well. I don't remember there being a different block casting for the turboed engines but my memory isn't what it used to be. I'll ask around and see what I can find out (everybody is on vacation right now so it will be next week before I can talk to anybody).

Old 07-12-2002, 01:42 AM
argve
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turbo Installation

I can't comment on Banks Install techs. but can tell you that the money that I spent for the turbo was money well spent. It changed the entire attitude of my truck. Pulls very well now, I did some pulling in the mountians a few weeks ago on vacation and it handled them great. Best money I have spent towards the truck. Would do it again in a heartbeat.