2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension "rebounce", vibration: lemon law

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 03:18 PM
mike95762
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension "rebounce", vibration: lemon law

I have had the same suspension problems alot of the other owners are complaining about here. Had the dealer install the dampener and new shocks. Every service tech (four of them) that have test driven it with me since the repairs have acknowledged the suspension vibration. And every time they check with Ford the engineers 2000 miles away have said that is a normal condition. Even though they have never driven in the vehicle.

Finally got so frustrated that I have filed a Lemon Law Lawsuit against Ford, due to the suspension problem. I feel its like saying the vehicle wont go over 20 mph, we know theres a problem, we tried to fix it and cant, so thats the way its designed to operate.

Ill let you guys know how it works out.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
I don't have any suspension/vibration issues with my truck, but I would like to know how it turns out. Please keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:16 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
I too haven't had any suspension/vibration problems with my truck. I hope it all works out well for you. Just have one question, have they replaced the wheels and tires? Keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:31 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
And every time they check with Ford the engineers 2000 miles away have said that is a normal condition.
Right...that's why they designed a band-aid fix with that vibration dampener TSB. Clearly Ford knows there's a problem, they just don't want to spend the money to fix it right, or repair the vehicles they already sold to some of us suckers. They want to sell the truck and worry about the vibrations later.

My dealer verified my "bad vibes" as a legitimate problem and said the other four new F-150's on the lot did the same thing. He was concerned. The dampener didn't solve my bad vibes. Not to mention the new trucks coming in from the factory don't even have the dampener installed.

More power to you and the Lemon Law. I have a feeling there will be a Lemon Law waiting list unless Ford starts taking care of us.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:53 PM
dgdee
Senior User
Mike95762-
Which model do you have? I have noticed the suspension "shakiness" since day one. I even went and test drove another truck exactly like mine 4 months later to see if they all acted this way. It rode exactly the same as mine on the same road, go figure. The guys saying they don't have this problem or "characteristic" are either driving 4x2's or do not know whats normal for a new vehicle. I'll bet the 05's will have something different about their suspensions.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:06 PM
shaper
Senior User
I have a 4x2 and no vibration at all. Is it just the 4x4s

Old 04-09-2004, 08:02 PM
LBell101
Senior User
My 4x4 SCrew does not have a vibration problem at any speed. It now has about 1200 miles. I do know how new vehicles should drive and feel and I do know what a vibration is. Not all of the trucks have the problem.

I have to agree with the original poster, if I had the problem and nothing was done to fix it - I'd sue too.

Larry
www.larryscars.com

Old 04-09-2004, 09:00 PM
creative
New User
Vibration problems

I have been having vibration problems since Dec. 03 (2100 miles) My 2004 has been in the shop 8 times since then. 3 different dealers have found 3 different problems. I have had 3 rear-ends in the truck. I did file the Lemon Law paperwork, had the truck in for the final attempt and it still wasn't fixed. I had to take it in again because the rear-end was slipping. They wouldn't buy it back, the factory rep. said to replace the rear-end again. It seems the vibration is coming from the back end. Ford has admitted on 2 different instances about problems. In Feb. they came out with internal paperwork on installing a dampening kit. The have also redone the rear-end with new clutch plates. I picked up the truck this afternoon and have put about 50 miles on it. Everything seems ok, but that is what I thought every other time. Only time will tell.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:34 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
I've got an FX4 that doesn't vibrate. It's also the 3rd new 4x4 truck I've operated on a daily basis. This doesn't include the numerous 4x4's I've test drove. I consider my self extremely picky and in-tune with my vehicle's and I certinaly think I would know what I consider normal. I do believe SOME of the trucks are having issues, if I owned one I would be very upset about it. Also, this vibration issue is very subjective, what I consider normal and smooth as silk, someone else may consider rough and like riding in a horse buggy.

What I consider normal is when I drive my new 04 FX4 down the same roads I still drive my dad's 97 F150 4x4 and just weeks ago that I drove my 2001 4x4 super duty and all 3 trucks "vibrate" in the same spots on the same roads, which by the way appear smooth to the eye but give the sensation of driving over a wash board. That's where I make my judgement, I didn't buy the 04 expecting it to be so totally redesigned that it could somehow smooth out the worst roads in America.

Old 04-10-2004, 06:41 AM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
Originally Posted by CruelCrew
My dealer verified my "bad vibes" as a legitimate problem and said the other four new F-150's on the lot did the same thing. He was concerned.
If I was that dealer, I'd send those other four trucks back to Ford if they don't want angry customers bugging them about the vibration and bringing them into their shop every week for a new fix. If I was a dealer, I'd be P.O.'d.

Old 04-10-2004, 07:10 AM
dgdee
Senior User
lbell101-
I don't have a vibration either. What the original poster is talking about is the suspension behavior on irregular roads. Ultramax21- Your 2nd paragraph is correct, that is what I am talking about and I think Mike95762 is talking about. And yes Lbell101 ALL of these 4x4's have this problem. I think the truck is so quiet and soft "feeling" that it shows up more than other trucks. But these trucks have a different feeling over irregular roads than other makes do.

Old 04-11-2004, 06:41 AM
DKF150
New User
Just for info. I test drove a 04 fx4 with 9000 miles on it before buying a new one. I noticed the steering wheel "shake" at certian speeds, however I have no such feeling in the new one.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:42 PM
BBALL99
New User
Vibration Fix For Most

I Just Purchased An Fx4 Yesterday . I Noticed The Vibration In The Steering And Seat Right Away. I Have 30 Years Exp. With The Auto Industry And Recognized The Problem. I Looked For The Only Machine Made For Vibration Problems , It Is The Hunter 9700 And Found Several In My Area. I Took My Truck Down And Had The Road Force Balancing Done On All Four Tires And Found All To Register Over 50, Which
Tells The Tale Of Bad Tires. I Believe B F Goodrich Is Selling Seconds To Ford. I Contacted My Dealer Today And Set An App. For Next Week
And Informed Them Of The Problem, And They Seem To Already Be Aware Of This Occurance.
If Anyone Has This Vibration Problem Get Your Tires Checked Out
By A Local Tire Shop Before You Go To The Dealer So You Have Proof
By An Independent 3rd Party, So Ford Does Not Just Tell You We Balanced The Tires And Thats All We Can Do, Wrong Answer . If They Cannot Get Them Below A 20 You Want New Tires.
Well I Hope I Have Helped.
Note: This Will Not Solve Any Driveline Vibration Problems,
But 95% Of All Vibration Problems Will Orinate Fom The Wheels And Tires.
Thanks, Alan

Old 04-16-2004, 07:08 PM
dgdee
Senior User
What the original poster is talking is the same thing I have noticed on mine and the other 4x4's I have driven. Its not a tire problem, or a vibration problem, or a steering wheel shake. On smooth roads at any speed its completely smooth. On irregular roads, such as patched asphalt, the suspension is not tuned right to handle continuous bumps. Its like the rebound rate of the front coils isn't right or the shocks are not right. When you drive on these roads you get like a constant buzzing, shakiness feeling until you get back on smooth roads again. It should just rock and roll with the bumps like other trucks do. When the 2005's come out you will see something different with the suspensions!

Last edited by dgdee; 04-16-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:43 AM
newtof150
Senior User
When the 2005's come out you will see something different with the suspensions!<!-- / message -->
I certainly hope so.

The tiny amount of shake in my vehicle is annoying, but not enough so to make me want to go back to Chebbys. Several of us have been discussing shock technology on other threads.

It's a shame that the shake mars what otherwise would be a near-perfect vehicle.

Quick Reply: suspension "rebounce", vibration: lemon law