2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension "rebounce", vibration: lemon law

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 05:47 AM
newtof150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is road force balancing the answer to the vibration problems?
It seems that in most all instances it does help and in a few cases posters have indicated that their vehicle is then vibration free.

Around here, RFB runs $10 up per wheel, depending the time spent breaking the bead and rotating the tire around the rim, if necessary.

Of course, the dealer may offer the service under warranty, but I prefer to watch it being performed.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:25 AM
BBALL99
New User
Just Got Back From The Dealer And The Truck Now Rides Smooth As Glass. All Four Tires Were Road Forced Balanced And None Of Them Were Under 50 , So They Replaced The Bfg With New Bfg And All Were Rfb Under 20. It Fixed My Vibration Problem.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:54 AM
newtof150
Senior User
The Truck Now Rides Smooth As Glass
Congrats, all repairs should be so simple.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:51 PM
sc0rpi029
New User
I got the F150 STX 4x4 and there is some vibs on it, and you can see it on the steering wheel and specially on the 4x4 stick shift. I started to notice these vibs after going into a field and to try out the 4x4. When I finished playing in the mud and got onto the hiway, I almost cried because of the MASTER VIBS... It took me 4 hours to clean off the mud. After I was done, I it still notice a small vib on the steering wheel. I turned on the pressurewasher and washed the inner part/inside the grooves of the rims. These rims are no good for 4x4s because alot of mud gets in those grooves and unbalace you tire and it's a pain in the but to washer it out...

Old 04-23-2004, 08:06 PM
snow1
New User
Question fordguy61mi

I wish you could drive my 2004 lariat s/c 4+4 truck here in northern mi so you could feel the vibes it is a real problem.no fix yet ,2200 miles on it.it goes with me to work everyday at the ford dealership

Last edited by snow1; 04-23-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Rschade
New User
Unhappy Vibration scares potential buyer

I was going to buy a truck this weekend and this thread has absolutely frozen my decision. There seems to be more than a few people within this group that has experienced the problem. Have any of the journals published articles about this vibration problem. If this is a serious design flaw with the truck, you think some car journal would have written about it.

If anyone knows of any other data on this topic it would be much appreciated.

On another note I am astonished that the car companies have not figured out that people want to plug MP3 players into their car or truck stereos. The truck that I was about to buy was the FX and had everything I wanted on it but it also included this ridiculous stereo that totally prevented anything else from being plugged in. I know they are coming with the rail hard drive solution but that is a day late and a dollar short as a concept.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:03 PM
BlackF250
Junior User
Here is my thoughts on what you are experiencing, I think Ford has made the frame TOO stiff. I was following an 04 150 FX4 down a bad road the other day and I could not believe how much the back of the truck was shaking! It looked like a dog that just came in from a rain storm. Every time it hit a sharp bump you could watch the rear of the truck shimmy. When a frame can not flex enough you get a very quick vibration when hitting a bump rather than just a slow flex. Think of a drum, the sound it makes when struck is just a series of vibrations, now make the the covering loose and hit it, what happens? Nothing, just a dull thud. O.K., mayby that is a poor analogy, but I think you understand what I mean. My super duuty's frame is not boxed, and there for not as rigid as the new 150's, so when I drive down the same road my truck just flexes a little and absorbs the vibration, rather than shake like the 150 I was following. I may be wrong, but that is my opinion of what is going on. what do ya think? Also best of luck to any of you experiencing any problems!

Old 04-24-2004, 03:32 AM
newtof150
Senior User
was going to buy a truck this weekend and this thread has absolutely frozen my decision.
Wise move.

Have any of the journals published articles about this vibration problem.
And risk losing Ford's advertising dollars?

Old 04-24-2004, 05:20 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Big tires + fancy wheels + stiff suspension for handling = vibration. As one user noted a small amount of mud unbalanced the tires. When you have a big wheel spinning with mud and rocks embedded in the grooves in the tire and wheel it is going to vibrate 100 % of the time. The stiff suspension, frame, and shocks just transmit the vibration to the driver. It seems some people want their cake and eat it too. People want big tires and fancy wheels but they come at a price, -increased maintenance (washing and balancing), and in between times they vibrate. If you go off road or into the mud you have to wash the mud and rocks off. Stiff suspensions for better handling without wallowing around in corners in a tall truck transmit vibration from the road and from the tires. Ordinary physics folks... They are TRUCKS for Gods sake! If you want a nice smooth cushy ride buy a Lincoln. If you want a speed demon corner burner buy a Mustang. The same truck that is able to carry a load of tools to a jobsite is not going to ride cushy with a couple of bags of groceries.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:49 AM
hovy
Senior User
Here! here! Well said!

Old 04-24-2004, 07:03 AM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
Originally Posted by snow1
I wish you could drive my 2004 lariat s/c 4+4 truck here in northern mi so you could feel the vibes it is a real problem.no fix yet ,2200 miles on it.it goes with me to work everyday at the ford dealership
That sucks, dude. Sorry to hear it.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:49 AM
dgdee
Senior User
Torque1st..... I think most of the people who are having the vibration problems or the suspension shakiness realize they are driving a truck. The problem is that the 04' feels alot different than past models or other manufacturers trucks feel. Black250's super duty rides better than an independent front suspension F-150?? That doesn't sound right. But it rides like a truck, just different.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:01 AM
mike95762
New User
This is in response to Torque1st's comments. I was was person who first posted this thread. I didnt fully explain all the suspension characterists that caused me to go down this road. First the suspension seems to amplify EVERY bump and imperfection in the road. When I drive over a small bump the vehicle vibrates for several seconds after, and can still be felt bouncing 20 to 30 feet down the road. If im on a moderatly bumpy road the vehicle NEVER stops vibrating. Going over a large hole or bump causes the vehicle to piitch to one side. Interior rattles are already beginning. It feels as if im driving a 15 year old truck already. When I test drove the vehicle it was on a short streatch of brand new highway, and it did drive like a luxury car. But the first few days around town I noticed the problem. The tires are the stock tires that came with the vehicle, 17's. I have owned and driven pickup trucks for the last 20 years. For a living I drive firetrucks. I am very well aware of the way trucks are supposed to feel and operate. And I belive there is a huge problem with the suspension on my truck. It might not be on all the 2004 F-150's, but there are enough people complaing to make me feel there is a problem.

Last edited by mike95762; 04-24-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Good enuf, I stand corrected. I just saw a lot of complaints about things that are "just trucks". Do you guys happen to know if they are using polyurethane suspension bushings? Or have they left out a vibration isolator under the springs? I have seen my share of vehicles come off the line over the years with missing or mis-installed parts. For some odd reason in every case the dealer mechanics were not recognizing the problem. Sometimes they just seem to be blind. With my first new Ford I removed the entire computer system and installed "old" parts since the dealers could not find my engine miss. All of the problems went away and I improved the mileage 3mpg. Unfortunately the computer is now so embedded in all of the vehicle systems you can't do that anymore.

Old 04-24-2004, 05:37 PM
dgdee
Senior User
They are using a brand new design bushing in the front suspension, it has voids in the rubber or something like that I remember reading. They allow the front tires to actually move backwards when you hit a bump. Maybe thats the problem??

Quick Reply: suspension "rebounce", vibration: lemon law