What can I do? Please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:03 AM
TxLimo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deac-

One of the things that make me question the PSD is the problems I've heard the 6.0 is having. Now, I'm a single mom w/no mechanical no-how, so this is something I figure I need to research. Have you had any problems w/the 6.0? From what I've seen, it seems to be a split decision--some say wait til the bugs are worked out, some say the engines great. I also plan on keeping this truck 'til the wheels fall off, so whichever
engine I go with needs to last. It'll be my main driver, and then my sons in a few years when he's ready to drive. I may be better off w/the gasser now, give it to my son in 4 yrs and then order the PSD for myself at that time. And I agree- whichever I go with, I don't want to regret it later.
Thanks for the input, it helps a lot.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:38 AM
deacjrt
Elder User
Lookin,

Well, the Triton 5.4l is definately a proven engine. I read A LOT before I bought the 6.0l, I read a lot of negatives, but there are a lot of PSDs on the road, and there are also a lot of people driving their PSDs, and not spending time on these forums. I talked to a few of these individuals at Gas Stations when I had my Chevy. I would ask if they had problems, if they liked it, and if they read the forums. The individuals I talked to had no problems, most drove 03's, a few 04's and most never had dabbled into the forums. There were problems with injectors and flashes and other things with the early production 03s. I am still reading problems some people are suffering with the 04s, but that is what the forum is for, to get help. I think the problems have significantly declined in the 04s. I have only had mine a week, so I cannot be a judge on the reliability of it yet. I can tell you it is a pleasure to drive and the wife loves it. I do like to do my own maintenance, so the oil changes will not be extremely expensive for me, the diesel uses 12-15 quarts of oil compared to the 5 quarts the 5.4 would need replaced. Diesel oil changes occur at 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever occur first, for us probably the 6 months. So the oil changes may cost you more if you pay someone to do it because they are going to have to put more quarts of oil in a diesel. The other diesel expense is the fuel filters. They need changed at 15,000 miles. I am not sure what the cost would be for someone to do this, maybe $125.00 or more, just a guess, I plan on doing mine. I would guess the diesel's have more problems the the 5.4, but there a lot more diesels in the SD line than 5.4s. Another thing to keep in mind, my town has a fleet department and they push a lot of PSDs, so the service department has some good techs. A couple of the Service Advisors drive 03 and 04 PSDs so I was comfortable if I had a problem they would be able to fix it, you may let they weigh in also. Keep the questions coming, we'll figure this out.

One last thought, if your SD arrives, you drive and like it and you know you won't regret, then go for it, as long as the dealer doesn't mess up your trade-in and rebates. I wish you were close, I have helped 2 co-workers who wanted new vehicles but the dealer didn't want to give a fair trade-in. In the end I got both of them what they wanted for their trade-in by going with them and loudly telling them to walk, both times the Dealership stopped us as were leaving and gave them what they wanted.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:43 AM
TxLimo
Senior User
I have a friend says he'll go in with me when the truck gets here. He's ordered several SD's from this dealership and has not had any problems. 'Course he's not one to take any bs, either. So, maybe it'll work out. If not, I walk and reorder w/Jeff. No biggie.
Thanks for the support- as always, everyone here at FTE has been great.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:10 AM
deacjrt
Elder User
Well keep us posted. That is exactly what I did for my friends, they wanted the vehicle, I really didn't care, just wanted to make sure they were treated fairly. I hate getting fired up, but when it is for a friend it is worth it, especially if the outcome is what they want. When we traded my wife's car she she wanted the new Explorer so bad and Ford was aware of it, but they weren't giving us a fair trade-in. She said I one point my face was so red she thought smoke might come out my ears, the salesman went and got his Sales Manager because he could tell how frustrated I was , but really wanted to get my wife the Explorer at the same time. Well, we got what we wanted for our trade-in and since have bought 2 more new vehicles from the same dealership all involving trade-ins. We will anxiousely be awaiting to hear if you have a new SD, we're pullin for a lookin...

Old 04-09-2004, 11:11 AM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
Lookin, another thought on the PS vs. a gasser is the MPG difference and of course life expectancy, since you stated you'll drive it till the wheels fall off.

But I'm sure you're aware of this.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:28 AM
TxLimo
Senior User
huntercgr-

I've read threads on the mpg issue til I thought my eyeballs would fall out.
Thing is, I'd love the better mpg w/the dsl, but the mpg on the 5.4 seems to be about what i'm getting now, so I wont necessarily be losing anything.

I definitely want the psd, but the 5.4 will serve my purposes. And that is what I based my decision on when I ordered. I may end up having to make the decision all over again, and if I do, I'm leaning heavily to the PSD side. Either way, I do intend to keep the truck for a long time. And I think either one will last a good long while. Thanks for the input...every opinion I hear is helpful in determining which way to go.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:49 AM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
"so I wont necessarily be losing anything"...C'mon girl, look ahead for gains!!

Just givin ya a hard time, not trying trying to sway you over to the PS side.

I do hope everything works out for you next week.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:25 AM
HOWITTRO
New User
Shout from the roof tops who this dealer is and hope he goes out of business

Old 05-16-2015, 08:28 AM
HOWITTRO
New User
Do you feel you got a good price as there seems to be so much secrecy on pricing. I located a web site that supposedly gives factory prices but the dealer also receives volume rebates and other discounts from the factory. If I walked in to a dealership and paid the MSRP do you think the salesperson would accept it or say whoa you are paying too much. There seems to be a lot of distrust between dealerships and retail customers. I fully realize they have to make a profit but why the game . . how much more can I get from this unsuspecting retail uniformed customer. I would never buy in my local city because word on the street is the dealerships here gouge and exploit customers. If only dealers knew this they would never have to advertise there dealerships . . . just be transparent and honest and there sales would soar
Final Comment
What do you do to ensure you are getting a fair price. How can we put these dealers who gouge customers out of business. Treat us fairly and in a transparent manner and we will help you grow your business. Exploit us and we will work hard to put you out of business into bankruptcy