Sponsored by:

where do I find the keyless entry code for 01 excursion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 08:41 PM
logginhard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where do I find the keyless entry code for 01 excursion

just bought a 2001 ford excursion but dont have the keyless entry code can anyone help

Old 04-03-2004, 08:48 PM
lockdoc600
Junior User
the original selling dealer may be your best bet. The code originally came written or typed on the back of the Emergency Road Service wallet card. I'm not sure if Ford Motor keeps this info or not but the original dealer would have it on file.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:52 PM
logginhard
New User
I have been told I can find it under dash somewhere but I have been unable to locate it.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:30 PM
photomanz
New User
Logginhard,
I just had this same issue. It wasn't written down anywhere, so I had to go to the dealer and they hooked it up to the computer and retreived the code. They charged about $40. Alan

Old 04-03-2004, 09:34 PM
logginhard
New User
Looks like it is probably going to end up costin me some doe.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:14 AM
thegrizz
New User
keyless entry

there is a module behind the left 1/4 trim panel that has the code on it,
i dont recommend removal unless you are truly experienced,the trim
is hard to remove and can easily be damaged which will turn into an
expensive replacement.your dealer can retrieve for 0.5 labor hours,
worth it!

Old 04-04-2004, 10:04 AM
rozett
Senior User
I participate in four different truck forums for the Excursion and I have seen this question come up a dozen times a year for several years. I have NEVER heard of one single person that has actually found the code written anywhere under the dash. Just bite the bullet and pay the dealer to fetch the code from the computer. Unless you bought it from a dealer, in which case you can shame them into giving it to you for free... like I did.

Old 04-04-2004, 11:19 AM
thegrizz
New User
behind the 1/4 trim panel certainly isnt under the dash!!!!(left 1/4 trim that is)

Old 04-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I worked in a Ford garage as a tech when the X came out and the Ford manuals say that it is located on the module, which supposed to be located behind the trim on the left side of the vehicle. It was much easier to pull the number on the computer. If you have not had the computer updated it would be my advise for you to have them do any updateds and have them tell you code at the same time. Killing two bird with one stone. If your X is under warranty the updates should be free and they will just tell you the code. Toyman

Old 04-06-2004, 10:38 PM
rdc767
New User
I bought my x a few weeks ago. I have the code. But the doors don't unlock when I push the code in. Is there a trick? 5 digits I believe. I don't have the owners manual. Its on order.
Ron

Old 04-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Bill4Kath
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I couldn't find the code at all on my 02 X. My 99 Explorer did have the code on the box, which was located inside of the left rear quarter panel.

Old 04-20-2004, 07:56 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rdc767
I bought my x a few weeks ago. I have the code. But the doors don't unlock when I push the code in. Is there a trick? 5 digits I believe. I don't have the owners manual. Its on order.
Ron
You may have a defective keypad, a common occurance. The keys may light up but one may not function. So if you hit say 14645 it may only see you punching in 165... because the 4 key is bad. This can be tested using a PID monitor on the NGS scanner at the FORD dealer. PID KEYPAD will tell the NGS what key was pushed as your run through the keys. Replacement of the keypad would be necessary to fix it.

On 2001 Excursion the Keyless Entry is controller by the Gem Module and keycodes are retrieved from the Gem.

Principles of Operation

The remote keyless entry system is controlled by the generic electronic module (GEM). The switches are wired directly to the lock/unlock relays and the GEM is wired to the relays in parallel. Pressing a switch to lock or unlock grounds the appropriate lock/unlock coil closing the relay and supplying voltage to the actuator to lock/unlock the doors.

Entering the keypad button sends a ground signal to the GEM. When the code is entered in the correct order the GEM grounds the driver unlock relay coil closing the relay and supplying voltage to the driver door actuator unlocking the driver door only. Pressing 3/4 within 5 seconds of factory code sends another ground signal to the GEM causing the GEM to ground the all door unlock relay coil supplying voltage to the passenger door lock actuators unlocking the passenger doors. Pressing 7/8 9/0 buttons together at any time sends a ground signal to the GEM causing the GEM to ground the all door lock relay coil supplying voltage to all the door lock actuators causing them to lock.

The transmitter sends a signal to the GEM causing the GEM to unlock the driver or passenger doors depending on the button pressed.

When the GEM receives the correct signal from either the keyless entry keypad or the remote transmitter the GEM will then command the interior courtesy lamps and the keypad illumination on.

When the panic function is activated from the remote transmitter, the GEM intermittently grounds the parklamp flash relay and the horn relay coils closing the relays and supplying voltage to both the parking lamps and the horn.

The remote transmitters and the remote keyless entry use a rolling code to prevent the transmitter identification code (TIC) code from being "captured" by a code grabber. The system rolls the counter in the transmitter and in the remote keyless entry every time a remote transmitter button is pressed. If the remote transmitter is pressed a large number of times outside the range of the vehicle, the rolling codes will fail to synchronize and the vehicle will stop responding to that remote transmitter. At this point the transmitter needs to be reprogrammed to the system.

On 2002 and later Excursion the Keyless Enty is controlled via the VSM, vehicle security module, mounted under the center or the dash.

Last edited by HomerWinzlow; 04-20-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Scurv
Senior User
left 1/4 trim panel??? They told me yesterday that it is on the module located inside the drivers side door panel???

Old 05-15-2004, 08:13 PM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Just go the the dealer and have them pull the code with a scan tool. Hell, I have my own NGS and if you were anywere near me I would do it for free. It's that easy.

Old 05-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Canuk
Freshman User
My 2K Expedition had the code under the dash on a box near the emergency brake. If you lay on your back with a light you will see it tucked up high in there on the exterior side. If the X is the same as the Expy.

Quick Reply: where do I find the keyless entry code for 01 excursion