1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

No Limit video question-Volare IFS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 03:24 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Limit video question-Volare IFS

Ok, so I tacked in my motor mounts, and mocked the engine setup. I moved the engine about 1.5" to the passenger side, to allow room for my headers. Everything fits fine, but the video tells me to mark my engine height so that the water pump center bolt is 13" up from the radiator mount.
I did this, and noticed that my engine is quite angled down. (this is with the tranny almost touching the floorboard) I did however manage to set the engine in a spot where I have plenty of clearance for the firewall.

What I want to know if this is normal for the volare install, and is more than an inch to the passenger side too much? If so why?

Im going to read Mr. Niolons article on pinion angle again.

thanks alot guys,
55forder

Old 04-02-2004, 06:50 AM
mikew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now here's a topic I can help with...... been there, done that.

I had the same problem, but I didn't realize it until I had everything built. I mounted the engine where they suggested, but the tranny was real close to the tranny cover, and I ended up completely modifying the cross member behind the tranny to get driveshaft clearance. Ended up being a driveshaft loop-type of modification.

I spoke with No limit about this and they said that their measurements were based on a 351C. Evidently, the SBF (I'm using a 351W) must be different because he said that there shouldn't be any interference problems like this.

If I had it to do over again, I'd lower it down and either use electric fans or hope that a stock fan still works. I do like having the engine sitting higher in the engine bay, though, it doesn't look lost in there like some of the others I've seen

Old 04-02-2004, 07:25 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
volare engine stuff

back in my Volare period... (keep in mind I'm using a 460) My engine sat 2" to the right to get the header clearance.... I thought... My clearance problem was with the height of the engine now the side to side placement... I was hitting the upper control arms. My oil pan (rear sump) was sitting 1.5" above the Volare crossmember. don't know the distance from the crank down to the crossmember... probably not a good reference since the 460 is a taller block than the SB. Had a terrible problem with headers clearance and that finally caused the removal and install of the MII

I had talked to Bob of Bob's F-100 and he assured me that if I raised the engine it would fit... I was already up against (within 3/4") the firewall and floorpan.....and it would have required some major firewall fab work.... but anyway now I've seen the light and live in MII land...

with the Volare setup the transmission was up in the floorboard about an inch but the engine is sitting within 2° of level... with the MII the only thing I changed was the center line position... the crank is now 1" right of center and everything fits good (except the hole in the floorboard will have to be moved back to the left and filled.. not a big thing.

don't know how all this rambling will help other than to say that 1.5" isn't unusual for a volare install..

later

john

Old 04-02-2004, 07:27 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I did my engine installation (got one side done anyway) I ignored the part about the 13 inches. I think that would only apply if you were doing an install exactly like the one in the video. Since my truck is a 48 F-3 and I am using a non-Ford engine I figured my install woud be different from the video anyway. I moved my engine two inches to the right to be sure I had the necessary clearance at the steering box (which is the largest obstacle to overcome with the Volare install) and got it high as I could and still have the transmission clear the tranny cover because I did not want to rework the floor. The main thing is to be sure the engine is level side to side and front to rear and in your case be sure that the transmission mount is also 1.5 inches to the right. I think if you do this the pinion angle will be easy to match, the fan to radiator clearance should work out okay, and the engine and transmission will be mounted parallel to the frame...

Vern

Old 04-02-2004, 09:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
55Forder

Looks like the answers are all over the place. Let me add to the confusion if I may. My 302 is not offset to the passenger side and I have lots of clearance on the Mustang shorties. I couldn't level it high enough to use a normal fan though. Did not want an electric fan so I am tilted back a degree or two and everything worked out.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:01 AM
55forder
Elder User
Thanks guys!
Well after some stress, I got to the shop tonight, and looked at things really well. One thing I forgot to mention was that my engine was really angled with the front end on stands, and the tranny not mounted on a crossmember. I lowered the suspension to the middle of my suspension travel, and my carb is almost dead nutz @ 0 degrees. Im happy with the progress we made tonight.
I got almost all of my welds done, and will be grinding some of them tomorrow, and applying chassis paint. Things are looking really good, as there was a point where I looked at my truck and wondered to myself "What have I gotten myself into?"

Thanks for all the replies guys. WE got it taken care of.

55forder

P.S. Im running Hooker Super Comp headers, and they fit like a dream, no massaging needed.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:58 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
P.S. Im running Hooker Super Comp headers, and they fit like a dream, no massaging needed.

You need to correct that. Beat a dent in your headers somewhere or somebodies going to accuse you of buying one of them pre-fab storebought 55s.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:10 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fatfenders
55Forder

My 302 is not offset to the passenger side and I have lots of clearance on the Mustang shorties. .
Your "girlie" 302 is just about the narrowest of modern V8s, so no offset is understandable. Any other engine is wider so offset may be necessary. Even the original Chrysler V8s that were mounted in the Volare suspensions were offset...

Vern

Old 04-03-2004, 06:28 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Your "girlie" 302 is just about the narrowest of modern V8s, so no offset is understandable. Any other engine is wider so offset may be necessary. Even the original Chrysler V8s that were mounted in the Volare suspensions were offset...

Vern
Dear Bowtie Boy,

Last I knew 55 is also running a 302 so he may not have to offset either.

Your Friend,
'fenders

Old 04-04-2004, 05:55 AM
55forder
Elder User
ooooooh, bowtie boy.

Yes fenders, I am running a 302. I offset the engine some, to allow for my cootie-bob 302 hooker headers. I like these headers and wanted to keep them. I just dont like the look of the mustang shorties, even though I have a pair of those as well. I added some pics of my motor mounts, but my buddys camera kinda sucks. Ill be back at it Monday, to box them up, and will take better pics then.

Thanks again!
55forder

Old 04-04-2004, 06:24 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fatfenders
Dear Bowtie Boy,

Last I knew 55 is also running a 302 so he may not have to offset either.

Your Friend,
'fenders
'fenders,

Sticks and stones...just tryin' to help. We can't all be *****s to the blue oval...

Vern

Old 04-04-2004, 10:21 PM
blowncobrar
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know where i can get a good set of headers for my 1955 f100 it has a 460. A make and part # would help out.

thanks!

Old 04-06-2004, 07:59 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by blowncobrar
Does anyone know where i can get a good set of headers for my 1955 f100 it has a 460. A make and part # would help out.

thanks!
Get yourself a Sanderson or Speedway Motors catalog. I'm sure either of these sources has what you need...

Vern