1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tires Cupping After 30,000km?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 08:39 PM
JMYOST
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires Cupping After 30,000km?

some background info...
I bought a used 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer from my local Ford dealership late last year(03). It had 17,000kms on it when we bought it. It now has 30,000 kms on it. So now to the problem...
I took the expedtion in yesterday to have my power mirrors looked at because they were acting eratically. I had also mentioned to the service guy that there was a rotating noise coming from the front end at around 80km/h. I got a call today saying that the noise is from the tires which have "cupped."??? not quite sure what that means. But anyway...Service dude went on to say that the reason for the tires cupping was becasue the alignment was off. Now the funny thing is is that I have not felt the car pulling to one side as it would when the alignment is off, and now that they "fixed" the alignment measurements (or whatever they do) it drives no differently then it did before i took it in to the shop. So now they are saying that i need to spend $1000 to buy all new tires. Because felt nothing wrong in terms of the alignment, i figure that the alignment, if it was in deed off, it could have only been off by a hair. Now, if it was off by a hair would the tires cup within 12,000kms and if they do then I will be replacing my tires every 3-4 months. Especially beasue I felt nothing wrong with the alignment. I would hate to see what they would say about my tires if I had been complaining about the alignment being way off. Keep in mind that i did have the tires rotated in January of 04. I don't mean to go on and on but i have talked to some multi lingual lady at Ford Canada who said that they will not cover the tires under warranty becasue it was my fault that the alignment was off and I did not get it fixed...BUT HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THE ALIGNMENT IS OFF?? So basically, they have said I am **** out of luck and that i need to buy new tires. Has anyone heard of this or have anything they can add. I am so ****ed at all the i talked to today. Please any info would be great.

thanks
going to run my expedition right through their showroom now

Old 03-26-2004, 09:02 PM
JMYOST
New User
the tread is still more then fine on the tires. Should I bother with new tires? I've been looking and I can't find any information that suggests tht alignment is the problem. Everything else I read is about shocks, bushings and bearings. HELP!!

Old 03-26-2004, 09:16 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
If the alignment was "off" meaning it was out of spec, then the machines used today will show specifically how much each of the measurements is off. Ask your service advisor for a printout. Did you have to pay for the alignment?

So long as the vehicle rides/drives fine, I wouldn't bother with new tires until you "feel" a problem.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:40 PM
rangedog
Junior User
The alignment print out should show the before and after measurements. Also I have seen front ends that were way out of specs. and the car did not pull or drift as the left and right misalignment cancelled each other out. Rare but I've seen it.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:35 PM
JMYOST
New User
No i did not have to pay for the alignment but I had to fight for that. at first they were going to. I will try to get the print out. thnxs

Old 03-27-2004, 06:23 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Out of balance tires can cause cupping as well. As low as your mileage reflects I would be looking at things other than worn suspension unless it has been curbed too many times. You never know how abused it was from the prior owner.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:33 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
All four tires cupped? A bad front end alignment won't cause that. If the front tires only are cupped, then I would rotate the rears to the front, and allow the old fronts to wear more evenly on the back end of the car.

PS: You're following factory recommendations for tire rotation intervals, right? Important on such a heavy vehicle with potentially expen$ive tires.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:13 PM
JMYOST
New User
i have had the tires rotated once since i ownded the vehicle. they didn't do them this time becuase they are trying to get me to buy four new tires. They have said nothing about it being just the front 2. I talked to the salesman and he said that they couldn't find any service history but when we bought the car he said there was a full history...stupid me for not wanting to see it. DAMN

Old 03-27-2004, 05:19 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
A low tire pressure can cause the tires to cup. When the tire pressure is too high, they will wear too much in the middle.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Sigmund
New User
On my Navigator my first set of tires cupped, but like Paul suggested I just rotated them to the back and then even back to the front again and although it was a little noisier I still got 57,000 miles out of the set. I am on the second set now and have been much more careful. I paid a little extra at Firestone for a "Lifetime" alignement and have taken it in at least once a year for the free alignment (along with free advice that my transmission and serpentine belt are due...... ) This second set of Continentals is getting some remarks from them now but have 73,000 on them and are still good for awhile. I also had no indication of pulling or anything that would let me know I had an alignment problem, but they did cup. Maybe it was air pressure also.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:26 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I dont know if its just coincidental but it seems to me that more 4X4 vehicles suffer from cupping than 4x2. I dont know if its just the nature of the beast or not.