1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Cab door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 05:06 PM
sagmill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Cab door rattle

I have a "rattle/knock" that I think is coming from the doors on my 2000 F250 SD extended cab. The rattle is only there when the truck is going over bumps....especially closly spaced bumps. Any idea on how to fix this?

My buddy has the exact truck and it does not rattle.

thanks
Bill

Old 06-29-2001, 08:28 PM
z1express
Senior User
Extended Cab door rattle

I have heard this complaint from a lot of people with extended cabs, your buddy is one of the luckey ones. Look real close at how the door(s) close and how close the fit to the body.If they move up or down when latching,they need to be adjusted into a neutral postion. Sometimes you have to bend the hinge location slightly to get every thing in line.(I know this sounds backyard but thats how all the bump shops get things lined up) You may be able to move the striker plates some. Also look for signs of the two doors rubbing together somewhere. Good Luck!!!!!

Old 06-30-2001, 07:19 AM
Fosdyke1
New User
Extended Cab door rattle

I have a similar problem except it is more of a 'smacking' sound that seems to be from the weathersripping around the door/cab. It is irritating and I'm not sure how to fix it other than to apply a grease or oil to the weather stripping on the door/cab to stop the noise. There seems to be a lot of flexing in the cab that causes this noise. Any thoughts...abyone else have this noise...is it something that all extended cabs suffer from?

F350 SD XLT, SC, PSD, 3.73 LS, 2WD, LB, T-Red.

Old 07-01-2001, 10:41 PM
sagmill
New User
Extended Cab door rattle

An update on the door rattle.

I took my truck into the dealer to see what they could do. The guys in the body shop said the "rear seat was loose and the 'hooks' were not engaged" they also did not find any insulation behind the seats so they insulated it and adjusted the door.

I think a some part of what I have been hearing went away but the door still makes noise. I had been trying to adjust the striker to no avail and the dealer attempt just confirms that the striker adjustment might not be the route to go. I can actually see the door move when I go over bumps.

Bill

Old 07-10-2001, 11:57 AM
mcdady218
New User
Extended Cab door rattle

Imagine that!!! I too have had a door rattle from the driver's side doors. I have inspected the door jam and have located a sign of rubbing near the roof line. Also, the rear doors on both sides stick shut almost daily. Lastly, I can hear what sounds like door lock rods rattling from within the driver's door and a plastic rattle from a plastic bolt cover in the middle of the dash board up near the windshield. Now, I have been told "you bought a superduty TRUCK so why are you complaining about a few rattles." Well, I think that it isn't unreasonable to expect a quiet ride inside in the cab after spending $32,000. My big worry is that if the doors rattle under normal driving, what is going to happen to them in a violent crash???? I hope to hear from others with the problem as well and any further suggestions to remedy them. Sincerely, Kevin

2000 F-250 SD PSD ext cab 4 door LARIAT 4x4

Old 07-10-2001, 09:56 PM
sagmill
New User
Extended Cab door rattle

I know where your coming from, Kevin. The engineering on this truck is "rough and ready". I have another appointment with a dealer next week. This time with a dealer in NJ where I live. I am going to ride around the neighborhood near the dealership until I find a railroad track crossing where I can take the mechanic and show him the noise.

I spoke to the first dealer again about the work they had done. The seat "hooks" needed to be wrapped with duct tape to keep them from coming out! The seat fix did help a bit but the rattle is still driving me crazy.

Is your truck still under warrenty?

Bill

Old 07-11-2001, 06:51 PM
bigfordman70
Senior User
Extended Cab door rattle

Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
coreyp2000f250v10
New User
i seen another post on here and i have a 2000 f250 v10 with both of my front doors rattle...at the bottom front of the ext cab doors there is a spot weld that breaks...you can put a 1/4 inch bolt in it or just center it back up and reweld it

Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Great advice - but about 12 years late. Holy Lazarus Thread, Batman!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 AM
coreyp2000f250v10
New User
Originally Posted by SC_Hoaty
Great advice - but about 12 years late. Holy Lazarus Thread, Batman!

I know but I just found this forum. Lol

Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Buck268
Elder User
Was on a mission to fix/reduce this problem on my '99 in the Fall. Did three things which made huge improvements but did not completely eliminate the rattles.
1. Nut and bolt at the broken tack weld in the bottom corner of the rear doors
2. Reroute speaker wires. Now, I have adapter harnesses for my aftermarket speakers, so perhaps that is why I had rattle issues with this.
3. Install foam strips to prevent plastic door panel rattles. Cheap, doesn't take too much work but a little thought goes a long way. I purchased foam adhesive weather stripping from the home improvement store. Has held up all winter just fine.

Almost all the rear door rattles are gone now, and I did not need to adjust my latch strikers. Was unable to route my driver rear door speaker wire to eliminate all rattles, though. Will probably try again when the weather warms up.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 AM
coreyp2000f250v10
New User
Originally Posted by Buck268
Was on a mission to fix/reduce this problem on my '99 in the Fall. Did three things which made huge improvements but did not completely eliminate the rattles.
1. Nut and bolt at the broken tack weld in the bottom corner of the rear doors
2. Reroute speaker wires. Now, I have adapter harnesses for my aftermarket speakers, so perhaps that is why I had rattle issues with this.
3. Install foam strips to prevent plastic door panel rattles. Cheap, doesn't take too much work but a little thought goes a long way. I purchased foam adhesive weather stripping from the home improvement store. Has held up all winter just fine.

Almost all the rear door rattles are gone now, and I did not need to adjust my latch strikers. Was unable to route my driver rear door speaker wire to eliminate all rattles, though. Will probably try again when the weather warms up.
My rear doors don't rattle. It's just the front ones. I'm bout to re weld them in a few to see if that prevents it

Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
door seal are shot for one, so do the door seal mod
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...mod-video.html
second the rear door has a pinch weld at the bottom that holds the two half's together. this weld ALWAYS breaks so the easy fix is to get two #10-24 x 3/4" long bolts and drill out the weld and bolt the door back together. I did both of these and my ext cab is now quiet as a mouse! I would post a link to the thread about the pinch weld fix but i cant find it in the SEARCH menu.....

Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM
coreyp2000f250v10
New User
Thanks ill go get some bolts now to see before I re weld it

Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
its at the bottom of the read door's, on the drivers its under the vin sticker. There is one spot weld that holds the two half's together. On mine the drivers side broke clean off, on the passenger side the spot weld stayed on the outside panel that you can see but the inside panel let go so i only seen it if i pushed the two panels apart. Just clamp the two pieces together so the panels are nice and tight before you drill the spot weld out . I almost didn't do this and would have caused myself alot of headaches....

Quick Reply: Extended Cab door rattle