1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Pulling a travel trailer with a Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 08:49 AM
johare
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling a travel trailer with a Ranger

I am considering buying a used travel trailer and want one that I could pull with my 1999 Ranger X-cab 2wd 4.0 L auto. I have been looking at those in the 17 - 21 foot length. I want a hard side trailer - not a pop-up. I know that weight is the primary factor and recently someone (I think Rockledge) posted a link to towing information which was very helpful.

My question, "Do any of you tow travel trailers with Rangers and if so, what should I consider either in modifications to my truck or in purchasing a trailer?"

Old 03-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
TOWING A TRAVEL TRAILOR

DO’S AND DON’TS/EQUIPMENT SELECTION/PREPARATION FOR TOWING A TRAVEL TRAILOR

• Be sure the tow vehicle is large enough for your trailer or fifth wheel and has the
needed power and heavy duty running gear. It must be rated by its manufacturer to
tow the gross weight, and to carry the hitch weight of the fully loaded trailer or fifth
wheel.

NOTE: Heavy duty commercial vehicles larger than one ton may be used only if an
energy absorbing hitch, such as the Air Ride Hitch™, is used to couple the
recreational vehicle to the tow vehicle. The rough ride of the larger trucks can cause
structural problems to develop in recreational vehicles if an energy absorbing hitch
is not utilized.

• Use a weight distributing hitch rated not less than the trailer Gross Vehicle Weight
Rating (GVWR). Follow the tow vehicle and hitch manufacturer’s instructions. Install
the hitch ball as close as practical to the rear bumper to minimize rear overhang.
(Does not apply to fifth wheels.)

• Do not overtighten the weight distributing hitch spring bars. Follow the instructions
of the hitch manufacturer. When in doubt, use the less tight spring bar setting.
(Does not apply to fifth wheels.)

• Use a sway control system. Install and adjust according to the instructions of the
sway control manufacturer. (Does not apply to fifth wheels.)

• Use a brake controller that automatically applies the brakes in proportion to the tow
vehicle brakes and also has a hand control for applying the trailer brakes only.

• Adjust the brake controller so that the brakes of the trailer come on as quickly as
possible without sliding the tires of the loaded trailer during strong braking.

• Inflate the rear tires of the tow vehicle to their maximum cold pressure. (See the
maximum pressure rating on the rear tire sidewalls.)

• Load heavy objects and goods as close to the trailer axle(s) as possible. Do not
place heavy objects on the rear bumper or on the tongue.

• Your trailer may be equipped with an optional spare tire mounted on the bumper. The
bumper is designed only to carry the spare tire, approximately 65 pounds. If the trailer is
not equipped with a spare, no load greater than 65 pounds shall be placed on the bumper.

• If possible, totally fill or empty the water tank to minimize “sloshing,” which may
affect towing stability.

• If possible, empty holding tanks to minimize “sloshing,” which may affect towing
stability.

• Be careful to load the trailer to comply with the specified maximum and minimum
tongue weight percentages. Weigh the fully loaded trailer from time to time to verify
tongue weight.

• Adjust the hitch ball height so that the fully loaded trailer is level front-to-rear when
attached to the fully loaded tow vehicle with hitch spring bars tightened. Do not
permit the front to be lower than the rear on trailers with tandem axles. (Fifth wheel
trailers are less sensitive to altitude, but should be towed near level to achieve best
stability and avoid the possibility of overloading one of the trailer axles.)

• Do not exceed the trailer Gross Axle Weight Rating(s) (GAWR), or Gross Vehicle
Weight Rating (GVWR). The fully loaded trailer should be weighed from time to time
to verify that trailer GAWR(s) and GVWR are not exceeded, and that the loads on the
right and left wheels are approximately equal. When weighing to determine axle
loading, the trailer must be fully loaded and hitched to the fully loaded tow vehicle,
with spring bars tightened. (Spring bars do not apply to fifth wheels.)

• Do not exceed the tow vehicle Gross Axle Weight Rating(s) (GAWR) or Gross
Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Weigh the tow vehicle from time to time to verify
these loadings. When weighing, the tow vehicle must be fully loaded with goods,
passengers, and driver, and must be hitched to the fully loaded trailer, with spring
bars tightened. (Spring bars do not apply to fifth wheels.)

Old 03-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
TOWING A TRAVEL TRAILOR (Part II)

DO’S AND DON’TS/EQUIPMENT SELECTION/PREPARATION FOR TOWING A TRAVEL TRAILOR

TRAILER LOADING

1. Proper trailer positioning and loading are important not only for ease of hauling, but for
safety. The correct loaded weight on the hitch is a minimum of eight (8) percent of trailer
weight. Fifth wheel trailers should carry higher hitch loads (15 to 25 percent). If insufficient
weight is placed on the hitch, the trailer will tend to move from side to side, or to “fishtail”,
which can be dangerous. Towed trailers are designed to have proper weight on the hitch
for balance when the trailer floor is level. All objects should be held securely in place. Loose
items can cause interior damage and erratic trailer movements. They can even be a hazard to
others if they fall out. Load shifts can affect driving and handling enough to cause serious,
unexpected danger. Inspect tiedowns and fastenings, as well as the load at regular intervals
every hour or two, depending on roads, curves, hills, and speed. The first check should be
made within a half hour after the trip is started or after the first 25 miles, since some initial
settling is likely.

2. If you are going on a long trip, take a “shakedown cruise” of a few miles the weekend
before you leave. This will test your load, safety equipment, hitch, and might reveal
things you missed or forgot. By getting everything in order before you leave home, you
can prevent delays and annoyances that could take the fun out of your trip.
Many owners place luggage, camping equipment, outboard motors, and other items in
the travel trailer. The weight of everything put on or in a trailer, whether temporarily or
permanently built-in, must be included in figuring the total load.

CAUTION: OVERLOADING OR IMBALANCED LOADING OF YOUR TRAVEL
TRAILER CAN AFFECT HANDLING OR CAUSE AN ACCIDENT THAT COULD
RESULT IN SEROUS INJURY OR DEATH. FOLLOW PROCEDURES ON THE “CAUTION”
LABEL LOCATED ON YOUR KITCHEN OVERHEAD DOOR TO DETERMINE ACTUAL
WEIGHT OF THE LOADED TRAILER.

PROPER LOADING OF THE TRAILER IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. WEIGHT
RATINGS MUST NOT BE EXCEEDED AND PROPER WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION MUST BE
MAINTAINED. PLEASE FOLLOW PROCEDURES ON THE “CAUTION” LABEL AND
REFERENCE THE FOLLOWING TRAILER WEIGHT INFORMATION LABEL, WHICH ARE
BOTH LOCATED ON YOUR KITCHEN OVERHEAD DOOR, TO DETERMINE ACTUAL
WEIGHT OF THE LOADED TRAILER.

The following definitions have been provided for reference:

Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) means the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer
as the load-carrying capacity of a single axle system, as measured at the tire /
ground interfaces.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) means the maximum permissible weight of this
trailer when fully loaded. It includes all weight at the trailer axle(s) and tongue or pin.

The GVWR is equal to or greater than the sum of the Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW)
plus the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC).

Dry or Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) means the weight of this trailer as built at the
factory. It includes all weight at the trailer axle(s) and tongue or pin. If applicable, it
includes full generator fuel, engine oil, and coolants. The UVW does not include cargo,
fresh water, LP gas, or dealer installed accessories.

Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) is equal to GVWR minus each of the following: UVW,
full fresh (potable) water weight (including water heater), full LP-gas weight. Cargo
Carrying Capacity (CCC) means the maximum permissible weight of personal belongings,
food, fresh water, LP gas, tools, and dealer installed accessories. (CCC is equal or less
than GVWR minus UVW.)

The total weight, including liquids, groceries, clothing, etc. must not exceed the Gross
Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) stated in the label on the left front of your trailer. The
total load on the front and rear wheels must not exceed the respective Gross Axle Weight
Rating (GAWR) shown on the label.

1. The total trailer weight (dry weight of standard unit plus options added plus water
stored plus liquid wastes in holding tanks plus all cargo) must not exceed the GVWR
stated on the label of your trailer.

2. The total load of your fully loaded trailer on the tires when connected to the towing
vehicle must not exceed the combined total Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR). The
GAWR is also stated on the tag on the front left side of your trailer.

3. Establish the weight of your fully loaded trailer by weighing at a public scale.
Contact the police department for the location of the nearest one. Weigh separately:
a. The load on the front jack.
b. The total weight on the wheels and jack when disconnected from the towing vehicle.
c. The weight on the wheels when connected to the towing vehicle.

4. Do not permit tongue weight (“3-a” above) to exceed your hitch manufacturer’s
recommendation. It should be eight to 15 percent of the total trailer weight.

5. Weight “3-b” must not exceed the GVWR.

6. Weight “3-c” must not exceed the combined total GAWR.

7. Equalize side to side loading. Store heavy objects on or near the floor.

8. Avoid towing with waste holding tank(s) full or partially full. If unavoidable, drive
slowly until one or both tanks can be dumped.

9. Keep water tank either completely full or empty when towing to avoid the shifting of
weight of a partially filled tank.

For Fifth Wheel Travel Trailers:

1. Use a fifth wheel hitch for a two-inch SAEJ 700 king pin; an Atwood (or equivalent)
25,000 pound 2-5/16 inch diameter folding ball plate for units equipped with the
Atwood 25,000 pound GVW gooseneck coupler; and a truck capable of towing the
trailer GVWR.

2. The total of your fully loaded trailer on the tires when connected to the towing
vehicle must not exceed the combined total Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR). The
GAWR is stated on the tag on the front left side of your trailer.

3. Establish the weight of your fully loaded trailer by weighing it at a public scale.
Contact the police department for the location of the nearest one. Weigh separately:
a. The load on your truck rear wheels when connected to your trailer.
b. The total weight on the wheels and jack when disconnected from the towing vehicle.
c. The weight on the wheels when connected to the towing vehicle.

4. Do not permit the rear axle load (“3-a” above) to exceed your truck manufacturer’s
GAWR for the rear axle or your fifth wheel manufacturer’s recommendations.

5. Weight “3-b” must not exceed your trailer GVWR.

6. Weight “3-c” must not exceed your trailer combined total GAWR.

See your dealer if you have any questions on these rules and other towing tips.
These procedures should be repeated whenever there is any change in vehicles or
loading to ensure that you do not exceed the ratings.

Source: http://www.skylinecorp.com/ttmanual.pdf

Old 03-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Hi johare,

I figured yours is a very good question, so I decided to throw some information into this thread, I think you might find some of it useful. It comes out of an owners' manual...

Hopefully some of the guys who actually have pulled a travel trailer around with their Ranger can add some more tips here, as well.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:14 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
I do not know if these smaller trucks come with a tow package. Look up yours in the owners manual and see what the towing capacity is. I am sure it won't be over 4900 #'s.

21 feet is pushing the limits. I'd stay around 15. Never get anything other than tandem axles, even on the shorter trailer.

Any mods you do to the truck won't be cost effective, and won't pass the safety specs Ford engineered into the original truck. It may be more economical to buy a good used F-150.

Electric brakes are a must. newer models may now offer electric operated hydraulic disk brakes, the ONLY way to go IMHO.

I don't blame you for wanting to go hardside, but they are heavy. Look for the "Lite" models. They have thinner walls, and lighter frames.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:17 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
I would test drive a rig. Maybe you can rent one similar to what you want to but to see how your truck will handle it.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:34 PM
johare
Elder User
Pops and Rock!
Thanks for the info. THis is all very good information. I am not sure that I want to buy a trailer but I thought I would investigate the possibility. Your feedback will help with my decision.

Guys like you are what make FTE such a great site!
Jerry

Old 03-01-2004, 08:50 PM
hreed
Posting Guru
Rock-I'm sure glad I didn't know all that stuff when I pulled a 32 ft trailer from Anchorage to New Orleans with an 83 Ram Charger. Probably wouldn't have made it. Now that I think about it, I just barely made it. Took 2 weeks, several tires, several headlights, lots of gas, and a windshield. What a trip!

Old 03-02-2004, 03:42 AM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Just another factor to keep in mind, frontage area of the trailer.
This is something that many folks overlook.
I don't have the manual handy, or I'd give you the facts, but it is in there.

I looked at a 17' hybrid trailer last year, and even that was pushing the limits of what the Rangers can handle, but was within the limits, providing it was loaded with some thought (don't pack the bowling ***** and weight bench... ) Had it not been for the fact that I was very unimpressed with the build quality of the unit I looked at, I probably would have bought it.

I know it can be frustrating trying to find a trailer that is compatable with the Rangers, believe me. When I'm ready to get another truck, I'm buyin' and f250, and keeping the Ranger... Best of both worlds. (Then I'll want an F550 or something, knowing me....)