Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

wiper control. will not shut off

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 12:56 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiper control. will not shut off

My wipers will not shut off (intermittent lowest speed)
I replaced motor, wiper control module (WCM) and replaced the multi function switch a couple years ago so I don't think any of them are failing (although the switch is after market)
I downloaded a PDF technical bulletin from one of our members describing what to do to troubleshoot the problem. I have done everything according to instructions.
I am at a loss. The only thing left that I would like to check is Ground "F" which according to the wiring diagram is located behind bottom of left cowl panel.
I don't know where they mean.
Is there any technical members willing to add their expertise to this?

Old 07-25-2019, 01:13 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Test the wiper park Circuit... if it don't park then replace the Motor assy or Repair the one you have>>>>>

Old 07-25-2019, 01:22 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
here is your complete schematic......

Old 07-25-2019, 01:34 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a similar prob, my park is gone, or moved rather. When they shut off they go to bottom then back up like 15 degrees, pause and do it again. Pretty annoying, but im pretty sure its in the motor.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:57 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
Use a multimeter and put the red lead (POS) on the black wire terminal on the switch. The black lead (NEG) should go to the negative post of your closest battery. You should measure continuity between the two.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Tom D
Elder User
I have already replaced the wiper motor but will check the park circuit on the new one. I can't tell exactly where you have the jumper on the diagram.
I checked continuity on both black wires on wiper control module to battery ground. I have continuity
The tech sheet told me to check continuity between 28/56 and also 61 and chassis ground. Both are good

Old 07-25-2019, 04:07 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
to do the Park Test the wipers must be OFF the park position.... this is why you disconnect the battery while the wipers are off park like in the middle of a stroke... when you do the test the motor should make 1 cycle then Park.

"
1. Connect a jumper lead from the low speed terminal of the wiper motor connector to park return terminal of park switch connector.
2. Jumper both windshield wiper motor and park ground switch terminals to battery ground cable.
3. Connect a jumper lead from the battery positive terminal to park feed terminal. Wiper motor should cycle once, then stop in park position.

"

EDIT: as far as that goes you can Meter across the park switch Terminals and just check if the switch is actually "Toggling"
The control Module or Governor is not too complicated 3 transistors a relay and few diodes and couple resistors, I probably have the schematic for it stashed away some place too.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:44 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Thank you for the assistance. It's getting late here now so I will try tomorrow and let you know.
Tom

Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Originally Posted by Tom D
Thank you for the assistance. It's getting late here now so I will try tomorrow and let you know.
Tom
or instead of disconnect the battery, just Pull the plug on the wiper motor, that is just as easy.

Maybe you still have your old motor, you could plug it in without installing it and use it as a Test subject.

EDIT the Plug on the bottom is for the motor itself the upper Black Plug is for the park switch
In figure 1 that I posted the motor is upside down in relationship of how you see the connectors when mounted in your truck, I also own a 93 F250

Old 07-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
Tom, let us know what you find out when you do the test. The advice lonewolf gave is great. He's on it like a rat on a Cheeto!

Old 07-26-2019, 10:17 AM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Originally Posted by Olds64
Tom, let us know what you find out when you do the test. The advice lonewolf gave is great. He's on it like a rat on a Cheeto!
LMAO

one thing I can say is IF the park test Passes then I would Look at Connector C202 (Big One under Brake Booster on Firewall)

the park switch signal goes thru it to the Governor and in the Governor(Module) it only goes thru a Normally Closed Relay Contact then back thru C202 to the Low speed terminal on the Motor........ High Resistance in that Line can cause Park skips or Delayed Park

Old 07-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Tom D
Elder User
Originally Posted by lonewolf_
to do the Park Test the wipers must be OFF the park position.... this is why you disconnect the battery while the wipers are off park like in the middle of a stroke... when you do the test the motor should make 1 cycle then Park.

"
1. Connect a jumper lead from the low speed terminal of the wiper motor connector to park return terminal of park switch connector.
2. Jumper both windshield wiper motor and park ground switch terminals to battery ground cable.
3. Connect a jumper lead from the battery positive terminal to park feed terminal. Wiper motor should cycle once, then stop in park position.

"

EDIT: as far as that goes you can Meter across the park switch Terminals and just check if the switch is actually "Toggling"
The control Module or Governor is not too complicated 3 transistors a relay and few diodes and couple resistors, I probably have the schematic for it stashed away some place too.

Good Morning. Just a few questions before I go out to try test. Your motor showing the jumpers appears to be totally disconnected from the system. I will get motor in "off park position" before disconnecting both plugs.
It appears Dk Blu/org is the low speed term. The park return appears to be the blk/pnk term. The wiper motor & park grnd switch term appears to be the yellow/red and the black which I will jump to battery ground. The park feed term appears to be the same as the park return term?? which would go to battery pos? I think I have some of the connections incorrect. Sorry, the terminology on the blueprint doesn't really tell you what they are called.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Tom D
Elder User
I'm sorry Lone Wolf. If you would use the numbers on the print instead of the item name, I will more easily be able to hook up jumpers.
Thank you

Old 07-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Would you please send me wire numbers or terminal numbers for me to connect jumpers in correct place?
Thanks

Old 07-26-2019, 12:52 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
OK perhaps this will clear things up I annotated this drawing with the names ...

Quick Reply: wiper control. will not shut off