1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting Up New Truck Q's - advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Jimmy Pet
Senior User
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Setting Up New Truck Q's - advice wanted

Hi Guys,
I am waiting on my 04 F350 to arrive and am planning the outfitting of this truck. Config is F350 XLT / Reg Cab / 8' Box / 2WD / DRW / V10 / Auto.
I am looking for some input...

1) Brake Controller:
After searching the archives here it seems like the Teknosha Prodigy is the most popular brake controller.
I ordered one from a link on the site (RV products?) with the supposed adapter harness that plugs right into the Ford harness.

My question is mounting suggestions. Anyone off up any good clean mounting locations in the SD cab (pics, text, anything).

2) Camper Cap:
Thinking of a Glasstite Raven High model for this truck.
Anyone have any input good or bad on Glasstite caps?
Any upsides of carpet inside other than looks?

I had a hard tonneau on my current truck, and hate it by now, cant wait to get rid of it. Looks nice,,, not very practical at all.

3) Bedrug:
Thinking of trying a Bedrug this time instead of drop in liner.
This truck mainly carries my race track supplies, tires, auto parts, etc. No gravel, sand, or other work type usage. The Bedrug seems pretty amazing.

4) CB radio:
Can anyone offer any suggestions / pics of nice slick mounting scenarios for a CB radio and antennae? Would prefer "not" to have to drill into the body of the truck to mount the antenna.

Thanks alot guys,,, I know its alot of "Qs" but this board has a wealth of experienced Ford men on it. (I am coming over from GMC).

THANKS MUCH!!!
Jim Pettinato
Scranton, PA USA

Last edited by Jimmy Pet; 02-23-2004 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:41 AM
Bordaine
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mounted my brake controller on the panel under the steering column. I am 6' 3" tall. I put it in with velco first to make sure I wasnt going to hit it every time I got on or out. Its bolted in now I have never hit it.
A friend of mine got A second panel and swaps panels when he is going to tow. 4 quick fasterers and 1 plug. Instant brake controller.
Steve
PS Its centered under column also

Old 02-23-2004, 09:02 AM
n578md
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the CB, I found that behind the seat mounting was best. It's out of the way and hidden from view when the center armrest is up. It's less likely to get stolen there and the antenna wire doesn't come anywhere close to electricals. There is a passthru behind the driver's seat near the driver's seatbelt anchor to pass the RG8 cable. I mounted the antenna on top of my toolbox lid, so no drilling in the truck body. The radio is mounted using a 2" x 3/8" x 13" piece of steel with two half-inch holes on top to mount it using the child restraint anchor and two 1/4" holes at the bottom to attach the radio bracket. The piece of steel is bent in an "S" shape to match the contour of the cab. I ran the electrical supply under the driver's door sill and tied into the fuse block.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Jimmy Pet
Senior User
Originally posted by n578md
For the CB, I found that behind the seat mounting was best. It's out of the way and hidden from view when the center armrest is up.
Wow Alan, nice install. Great idea! Thanks.
I am probably gonna steal that one.
Thanks for the pic,,, a picture is always worth so much.
Cheers
jimmy p.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Jimmy Pet
Senior User
Originally posted by Bordaine
I mounted my brake controller on the panel under the steering column.
Thanks for the idea.
Is yours mounted level like that?
Does the Prodigy even need to be mounted level.
I know that was always a thing with older controllers, but maybe not newer ones.
Thanks again
jimmy

Old 02-23-2004, 03:14 PM
alfie623
Tuned
I've never seen your brake controler so I don't know how it's configured but I have a draw tite model and this is what I did. First, you want to keep it in arms reach during emergency stopping. The last thing you want to do is go reaching to the lower dash or floor while trying to avoid someone in front of you or when your trailer is slapping around behind you. So I put mine upside down and mounted it to the bottom of the steering column. I screwed it into the plastic and since there is no gyration action it can be mounted in any direction. It's descrite, in fact you wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out to you and it's as close as possible for easy access. I can reach all the dials and the slide with one hand. I did have to slot the panel under the column to fit it in but you can do that with a sharp knife or a dremmel.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Bordaine
Elder User
The new brake controllers have a large operating window. you can mount them almost vertical and they still work. Yes I can still reach panic bar on controller, I have been using Tekonsha controllers for 20 years. I have A Envoy in mine, I like the adjustments better.
Try brakecontroller.com for plug in harnesses.
Steve

Old 02-23-2004, 07:14 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a uniden cb, and a wilson 100 antenna, and what a setup. I purcahsed the cb used for 75 dollars, and the antenna new for about 60. The antenna is the best i have ever used. The SWR is under 1, and i can talk to people 10 miles away no problem. I have my brake controller mounted just to the right of your right leg, and it never seems to get in the way.