General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Why does she do this?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Why does she do this?!?!

I have a cat that we bought in November of 2002 from a pet store. She was just a kitten then. So we brought her home and all has been good. Fast forward to September 2003. She still isn't fixed. She will be fixed very soon when we get the $300+ to get her fixed and her shots. She is an inside only cat so that's why it has been left for so long. She goes into heat about every other week or so. During this times she pees on the carpet and clothes and other things laying around. Fast forward to today. She is still doing it. She sometimes pees when she is not in heat. The cat boxes are always clean and I have seen her use them.

Now my question is: once she gets fixed will she stop peeing? Does she only do it because she is in heat? Thanks guys. This has me so frustrated!

-Matt

Old 02-21-2004, 09:49 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
You might wat to see a Vet about the problem.She my have some sort of infection,or it may be a behavorial problem.I'v had female cats in heat before ,but never experienced your problem.Usually they just make a bunch of weird noises and seek a lot of attention.We had a problem with our male cat similar to your problem.He had a Urinary tract infection.He sought out soft surfaces to release himself on.Getting her fixed will cure the heat problem,but might not cure the other.Thats just an experience we had ,but it could be something else.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Jens
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Matt,

I know what you are talking about.....we also have young cats.
We find out, that it is a good way to show her the mistake she made every time (if possible) by carefully puting her nose into the "lake", after that show her the cat box every time.....

Maybe it helps.

BTW, what do you mean with "...she isn't fixed" Do you mean the sterilisation"?

Thanks

Jens

Old 02-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
I mean that she can still have babies if a male cat ever got to her.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If you have any others let me know.

-Matt

Old 02-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yep, sterilization Jens.

Mine does this as well. She's a bit older.

This is usually a urinary tract infection.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Jens
Elder User
Thank you for the information.

...and it is $300 + to get her fixed.....wow, that's expensive.

I thought our local vet is expensive ($50 bucks for a male and $100 bucks for a female cat)

Jens

Old 02-21-2004, 10:27 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Sometimes animal shelters run specials on neutering.You might want to check with a few to see if any of them plan on having one in the future.Ours usually have them a couple of times a year.Just a thought.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
That price is in Canadian dollars. But that also includes her shots. She has never had shots before.

So the price to get her fixed plus the cost of the cat when we bought her a year and a half ago is around $500.

We got another one of our cats from the Humane Society. She was $100 plus taxes. This included the cat, all her shots, plus you got to take her to any vet to get her fixed free of charge! That's a good deal! Plus, you save an animal's life! I think that is the way I am going to do it from now on.

-Matt

Old 02-21-2004, 10:45 AM
X-1
Senior User
If it is a himalayan, or persian it is a character trait, they won't do both in one box. If any other cat then you will have to teach her. Also removing all scent of where she has gone. They will continue to go in the same place where they smell it from before. We had a himalayan that drove us nuts, we now know why the people sold her to us so cheap. You may have to experiment with different types of litter, what you are using may not feel right under the paws.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:59 AM
90ebbronc
Elder User
Wont feel right under her paws? Dang now i know why i have all dogs and feed the cats to the dogs.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Qvan666
Tuned
Received 265 Likes on 140 Posts
Dang now i know why i have all dogs and feed the cats to the dogs.
I have always thought that dogs were for people who didn't have any friends!!

bob

Old 02-21-2004, 08:19 PM
nymo
Senior User
A few years ago; my oldest son informed me that our cat wasn't eating it's new cat food. "Leave him alone", I said; "he'll eat when he gets hungry enough."

My son gave me the same update the next day and I gave him the same reply. The third morning he informed me that the cat had crapped in his food dish on the new cat food.

That afternoon he had a different brand of cat food!

Old 02-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Ford51
Elder User
I dont have a cat, but my vet said something about this for my dog. His previous owners did not take good care of him and he wasnt fixed for a while. If they develope habits that they do before theyre fixed like peeing anywhere and everywhere, thos habits are hard to break. He doesnt do it all the time, but he still does, and we were also told to rub his nose in it and scold him.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:32 PM
99 ranger bob
Elder User
friends of animals offers low cost spaying and neutering for your pets.. any animal that persisted on peeing on my floors laundry etc would be sold to the nearest chinese take out

Old 02-22-2004, 12:41 AM
bigblu
Senior User
Here's something for you to read.

http://www.hdw-inc.com/litterbox.htm

Quick Reply: Why does she do this?!?!