1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo chip for 5.4L questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 03:30 PM
super_duty_dan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Diablo chip for 5.4L questions.......

Has anyone here installed the Diablo chip for the 5.4L engine? If so, what gains did you see, was it very noticeable. How difficult was it to install? Did it help the truck tow better?
I am thinking of getting one, but want to know if it is worth the money and the additional cost of running premium octane.

Old 02-11-2002, 06:42 PM
redranger1
Posting Guru

im also interested in getting one. just not sure if its worth the expense. do you have to run the higher octane fuel, or would 87 octane be ok?

-nathan

Old 02-11-2002, 09:32 PM
thewhiteford
Senior User

Get the chip. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it. The extra $$ at the pump is worth every cent when your foot is on the go pedal.
Every day, since I had the chip as of 1 and 1/2 weeks ago, I can't stop saying "Daaaaamn" and other pearls of wisdom like "aaaaaaahhhhhhh". And I'm sure if I could resist stomping on the gas for one tank full, I'd definately see a mpg increase. In fact, I'm not done with my first full tank of 93 octane and it looks like I'm going to go over the average mpg, anyway. So do yourself a BIG favor and chip it. Just follow the instructions to the letter and you'll be OK.

Old 02-12-2002, 09:04 AM
Big
Senior User

You have a Superchip, right? Do you know if there is a difference between that and the Diablo? How long did the chip install take? Is it tough? I am about this close to gettin one of those chips for my '00 F-250 w/ 5.4L and 4.10s. I too have the snow plow prep package and my truck is white too!

Big

Old 02-12-2002, 10:26 PM
thewhiteford
Senior User

I don't know what the differences are between the 2 chips. I got the Superchip after 2 or 3 weeks of researching on different sites. They have been around longer and I just kept hearing alot of good things about them. To know more, I would suggest contacting webmaster. He's around in the computer chips forum most of the time and is very knowledgable.
The time was about 2 hrs altogether. It was a pain in the neck getting the cp out. I made a full post detailing the work it took at another website in another forum. First, disconnect the battery and turn the headlights on. This will completely erase any memory. Basically, the cp is a 6x9x1 greyish box in a black plastic sleeve under the dash on the driver's side on the left. It is attached to the firewall. On the otherside is the harness it connects to. You must disconnect them by unbolting a 10mm bolt in the center of the harness in the engine compartment. This is the easy part. If you have 3 or 4 feet of extension and an elbow to attach to your socket wrench, then do so. After unbolting the harness, go back inside the cab and pull the cp out. Not so easy. There is a lip at the end of the sleeve that makes it much more difficult after just undoing the 2 screws. I had to wrestle with it to get it by my clutch pedal, maybe it'll be different with an auto. Now the cp is out and slide it out of the sleeve. At the back, there will be a black plastic cover that is where the chip will go. It will have your cp code (3 letters, 1 number). You will need this when ordering the chip, the code is also on the driver's side door in the jamb. Mine was AGL0. Remove the cover to expose the contact of the cp board. You will need to remove the clearcoat, next. This is the most important step. On the contacts, from the factory, they put a clearcoat for protection that can be removed with a tiny screwdriver, like the ones used for glasses, rubbing alcohol, Q-tips, and a thin green sponge that is supplied by Superchips. First, use the screwdriver to gently scrape off the clearcoat. Use the rubbing alcohol and Q-tips to occasionally clean. Once the clearcoat is thinned, use the green sponge to scrub off the rest. Double check by lightly scraping the contacts to look for any haze or peeling that would indicate more residue to remove. This must be done to both sides. After the contacts are completely clean, then pop the chip in, reinstall the cp, and reconnect the battery. And you're good to go. The benefits are outstanding and immediately noticeable. Right away, I could hear the engine run smoother, quieter. I still can't get over the power. I can climb hills easier, too. In fact, I just filled up the tank today ($49.86 for 34.651 gal @$1.439 dol/gal). And I said that I would try driving nice to see the mpg gains. No sooner did I get on the main road then I had my lead foot in action. Oh well. You catch alot of peaople off gaurd, too. Yestarday morning I was driving to a job with a coworker in the passenger seat and about 600lbs in back. Some little rice car pulled up next to me on my right side and started revving his fart pipe. So the light turned green and i took him. It was close, but I definately had him. . When my turn came up on the left, he was still on the right with my nose ahead of his. Man, what a feeling. Can't wait to get the Gibson on! Whichever one you do, do it. You will not regret it. The chip wakes up the motor like nothing else. Good luck

Old 02-13-2002, 12:29 AM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic